Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injection on a 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection on a 5.3

I'm in the process of installing an 02 5.3 with a 700r4 trans into a 1942 chevy coupe I got the 5.3 as a long block with plans of running edelbrocks carb and msd box setup but the more guys I talk to they tell me fuel injection is the way to go I know with the edelbrock setup with the 5.7 with a cam upgrade the dyno numbers were just over the 400hp mark Is it possible to reach these numbers with fuel injection on a 5.3 I've been reading numerous posts and thought I came across one where the guy used a 5.7 intake/fuel injection setup what am I going to need as far as fuel pump wiring harness sensors etc all my long block has on it is water pump c/s balancer cam and crank sensors I belive it also has the knock sensors I'm hoping to pickup alot of these parts used seeing as I'm on a budget thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

EFI delivers fuel. So do carbs. EFI just does it more efficiently. No real difference in HP or torque when tuned properly..

In my opinion, taking one of these motors and putting 50 year old parts on it is criminal. Why not just use a standard 350 Chevy? You can make the same power with one of those.. (no answer required)

All the LS-x intakes other than the L92 will bolt in place of each other. The block and heads are the same as far as angles and height, similar to the old Pontiacs.

You'll need a fuel pump for EFI applications. You'll also need a wiring harness and computer to run the whole deal.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Injection or Carb?

I considered both and went with the injection. Have a friend that went carbed.
IMHO for street use the injection is the only way to go. Get with Wait4me or Speartech ect and get your initial setup and you should have 0 hassles from then on. My 1958 Chevrolet Delray can sit for months and starts first crank every time. No more carb adjustments, plug fouling ect.

I bracket raced for years and you can't believe how the correct fuel curve will change in just an hour or 2. With the injection, you are right on the money every time winter, summer, anytime. Good luck with the swap.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Indiana.....my 1935 Ford is very consistant and the drivability is 'way better with the factory EFI....besides it's not only pretty fast for what it is, it gets better gas mileage than my regular commuter car a 2006 HHR!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

dont forget all the high pressure fuel lines and fittings you are going to have to buy. if you plan on modding the engine ie cam, heads or power adder you should go carb for sure. i have had both carbed and fuel injected hot rods and i can tell you nothing will **** you off more than having to spend $300-$500 in dyno tuning everytime you want to change something. with a carb you can change it on the fly and be done.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

That's BS...

And I had a 14:1 compression 462ci drag race motor with EFI...

If you set it up correctly, it'll make minor adjustments by itself. Other than that, all you need is a laptop...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

I'm still shooting for the 400hp range what heads,cam,intake,tb,injector combo would you sugest like I mentioned before I've seen guys run the 5.7 intakes on the 5.3 is there any advantage to running a whole 5.7 upper end on these motors???
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

work some stock 5.3 heads over and run them... the 241 and 241 5.7 heads will give you valve shrouding issues unless you get a set of 243's off an '07 4.8 or 5.3 truck, these are slightly different for the smaller bore. 799 castings are the same.

With the right combo you will still be pushing it to get 400 out of the 5.3 all motor... put a little shot on it if you want... if you want to swap intakes, get an LS6, dont mess with the LS1 intake, it will hurt more than help... an LS2 truck intake (TBSS) or the popular LS6 swap will be better for you. Hit up performancetrucks.net if you want to find out exactly how to make that 5.3 scream.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

I've done three swaps and i would never go to a carb. I've converted my Dads old truck and he wouldn't go back either.
Seeing as you have a 42 chev, you have lots of hood clearance, so you could get a 6.0l truck intake (they flow the same as a LS6 intake) and they have a fuel regulator built into the rail. The 6.0L injectors will do just fine for more than 400HP. Get the wiring harness from the year of truck your motor came out of and build your own harness. I built mine in a couple of days of fooling around. I used a carter 5001 frame mounted electric fuel pump and hooked it all up. If you want get the heads done and stab a bigger cam in, Use some headers and get it all tuned. You should make at least 325HP at the wheels, 375 or so at the motor and that will spin your tires all day. My LS1 and my Dads 5.3 are stock except headers and we can kill tires no sweat. I wouldn't be concerned about trying to get to 400HP, these motors have much better torque curves with injection than our old 350's.
Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, let me know.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMAX
...i have had both carbed and fuel injected hot rods and i can tell you nothing will **** you off more than having to spend $300-$500 in dyno tuning everytime you want to change something. with a carb you can change it on the fly and be done.
One can change parameters with an EFI setup on the fly if the proper tools are in one's "toolbox". Having things fine-tuned on a dyno isn't necessary. Ideally, every time you change something on a carb'd engine you'd want to tune it on a dyno as well. It's simply a more common occurrence on EFI engines as those who have the tuning software typically also have access to a dyno.

That said, in a fat-fendered street rod I'd probably go with a carb-style LSx intake that's been machined for fuel injectors simply because of the shape/size of the engine compartment.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by Terry'sToy
get a 6.0l truck intake (they flow the same as a LS6 intake)

no they dont

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=397720
Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by itslow
One can change parameters with an EFI setup on the fly if the proper tools are in one's "toolbox". Having things fine-tuned on a dyno isn't necessary. Ideally, every time you change something on a carb'd engine you'd want to tune it on a dyno as well. It's simply a more common occurrence on EFI engines as those who have the tuning software typically also have access to a dyno.

That said, in a fat-fendered street rod I'd probably go with a carb-style LSx intake that's been machined for fuel injectors simply because of the shape/size of the engine compartment.
thats true, but it just adds more cost and complication to the build. it all just depends on what you are building the car for. in his original post it says he is on a budget and wants 400hp and i can tell you 400 efi horse power is no budget deal. go ahead and make out 2 lists of parts that should get you 400hp with a 5.3 one efi and one carb.

efi-
ls6 intake (or similar but i dont think 6.0 will do it)
throttle body
fuel rails
28 maybe 36lb injectors
he is going to need a harness
all of the sensors involved
some kind of engine management
a cam of some sort
springs
push rods
high pressure fuel line and all fittings involved
efi fuel pump
regulator
probably a different fuel tank
dont forget your tuning software(this will be a big learning curve)

carb-
intake
carb
fuel pump(at least half the cost of an efi pump)
fuel line
regulator
cam
pushrods
springs
ignition box

maybe i am wrong but the efi doesnt look very budget friendly, and just by my rough calculations it looks like you could go ahead add a set of heads to the carb side and still be well under the efi budget. in the end it doesnt matter you build it how you want and spend what you wanna spend on it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection on a 5.3