Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Got my 10pt chromoly put in... so love for the vert guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my 10pt chromoly put in... so love for the vert guys!!

This is only the fist step. Well, i guess the first step is getting off my **** and committing to the financial obligation of actually building the car of my dreams.

Anyways, perviously, this was a 408ci, nos-app. witha 4l65e, 3600ss car. True street! I usually racked about 200-300miles a week in this car. (thats miami for ya!!)

Needed a cage even then but never got around since the car was never a 100%. Ferrea springs issue, ls1 manifold on a 408ci issues.. etc. Well, the car went to michigan, drove her up there with my pops, great time by the way. And she is getting the finishing touches at V.R.E.

Here are some pics of the cage that was just put it, had it speced to my height, etc. I wanted to huge the panels as much as possible, but since these pics dont have them in, only time will tell. HOWEVER, remember that feeling when we were young pups and woke up to gifts on christmas morning... well, that is me right now!! REally happy the way it came out and will even better when i get her painted.

Specs: 10pt, chromoly bars, with net support...and of-course welded. Seats of Corbeau FX1's black with their custom brackets. You can slide them but im looking into upgrading the brackets so i can use the stock power ones and have some adjust in them.

Well, with any more delays... here are the pics. Thank and enjoy!! Would like to thank Eric and Nick at VRE for really helping me get this car underway... and putting up with my shinanigans. Thanks mang(s)!!

Before:

After :

Here is a quick pic of what the car looks like now....

thanks again. She will be a true streetcar, making solid power.. next, Gotta hook up with joel and get the parts flowing!!

LaterZ!
Angel
Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

that looks bad *** !! how much was it?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

that looks bad ***
took the words right out of my mouth! simply badass looking!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty hardcore. No swingouts. Looking forward to seeing the completed car.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

yeah. I wanted swingouts, but i was told its a no go with the 10pt. However, i might get a hacksaw and add a few swivel joints. But i doubt it. The thing is, i drove this car alot. Its gonna take some getting used to but the cars power levels are getting stupid and it was about time to get some like this done. Initially, the suggestion was to go with a kirkey seat, but those are WAY to uncomfortable so these fixed seats are well plushed and will do fine. The back seat was deleted, never used it much anyways. I will fabricate a custom fiberglassd' enclosed for the subs and mids. Amps will go too and maybe a capicitor or two.

Im really happy the way it came out. Im big into autocross/drifting, and i pretty much showed the guys a pic of this cage in a c-west s2k and they nailed pretty well.

It will get painted but here is where i need some help. The car has a custom color, charcoal pearl, but the interior will remain, carpet, airbags, stereo, full interior!!! Anyways, the top is black and the rims are black. I want to either do some accents, not TOO much, of the interior panels in the color of the car, or if a glossy back like the seat back!! Thus, if the interior accents are either color, what do you think the cage color should be? A nice glossy black like the seats backs or color matched with the car? If black, or color matched, what do ya'll think would be a good color for the interior accents? Black cage/blk accents or color matched accents? And vice versa..

thanks for the compliments... i know it seems like alot of bars but its functional and i think the look of it, painted, rolling down the street with the top down would be amazing!!

LAterZ!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Real nice man.. question tho, why stick with the convertible and put a 10 pt, kinda sorta defeats the purpose of a vert doesnt it lol

-john
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cage looks good.

I have those same seats in my '98. I hate those f'n things. Too hard, and they sit far too upright for my tastes. I even shimmed the front of them by about 1/2" to give them a little tilt.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, never been a fan of seeing verts with roll cages. Thats why the 64 vert with 650hp that im working on right now aint gonna get one. It kills the look of a convertible
Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For many colors, I like painting the roll cage to match the paint. Otherwise black works.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn nice.who did it?and what did it cost u?now im really looking forward to meeting u and the vert
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

well, i guess its how you feel about it. I acutally feel it would look great with it paint matched. A hardtop, imo, covering a vert. is kinda defeating the purpose... this just adds a bit of style!

camaroholic: really? hmmm... gonna have to try them out for a bit. You still have the same seats? Have you tried using the stock brackets to retain your stock power seats.

the cage was built by Stenod Performance. Hey, Mia, car will get done hopefully by january so until then dude...
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

You're still allowed to pass by ya know.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn, I just realized the three of us:

1. Are Miami homey's

2. Own CONVERTIBLE LS1 F-body's

3. Ummm... Front-Mount TURBOOOOOO

I smell the beginning of a scary-as-**** three man crew blowing through Dade County roads looking at people hard and having Supras/Ferraris/Vettes get the F8CK out of our way...
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im the small one with only 400 rwhp for now
Old 11-03-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

uhhhh...how about a pic where you can see the roll cage in the car back together

Oh it's not done yet oops ...anyway, cool man

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 11-03-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by obZidian
camaroholic: really? hmmm... gonna have to try them out for a bit. You still have the same seats? Have you tried using the stock brackets to retain your stock power seats.
Corbeau FX1's is what I have. They look just like those. Non-adjustable tilt. I'm using the Corbeau floor/seat brackets. I haven't tried the power seat bracket. Not sure how well it'd work, as it's a lot taller than the Corbeau bracket, and the seats are pretty tall as it is. I'm 6' tall and my helmet rubs my headliner when I'm racing. Maybe that's because the seat is so upright, I dunno.

And my a$$ hurts after about 15 minutes of sitting in them.

I need to do something about them, but haven't figured out what quite yet.

Give 'em a try... you may like 'em. I just wish I'd gotten some seats with adjustable seatback. I'm kinda particular about my seating position, as I need to use both legs and row thru gears...
Old 11-05-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Damn, I just realized the three of us:

1. Are Miami homey's

2. Own CONVERTIBLE LS1 F-body's

3. Ummm... Front-Mount TURBOOOOOO

I smell the beginning of a scary-as-**** three man crew blowing through Dade County roads looking at people hard and having Supras/Ferraris/Vettes get the F8CK out of our way...
sir, i have been noticing that every since i saw that MIia98 was up building a turbo vert.

Man, DUDE.... i just got the hotest idea!!! hint, you know big trouble in little china?

or not, still, i think we can dominate the south florida. Mia98 has the intial step, you just got your forged shortblock, in buildin it around my 408ci... shiiiiiit... blow-off central!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
well im the small one with only 400 rwhp for now
that is only the beginning grasshopper! True wisdom comes from natured knowledge..... or something like that.

Dont worry, at least you'll be the one that wont have to worry to much about tire traction.

Wel, that is until you can't handle it anymore and turn up the boost!!! Evil isnt it?!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

shooter-jay: Sorry dude! The cage is dont but the car isn't. Give it a month or two..

buahhahahaha!!!!

Camaroholic: Yeah, those are my seats. fx1's You think that maybe you can use a seat cushion. Im picky with my seat as i need to be comfortable. hmm..well see..
Old 11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

UPDATE:

Motor is out and torn apart. Waitn to get the new diamonds in and we are ready to rock!!! Question, what do ya'll think i should do with the cage paint? Glossy black or color matched to the car?

anyways, also got some quick pics of the window net installed and of the motor drop or removal since the shop was brave and went through the top!!

LaterZ!

as you can see, my back wasn't much of anything to begin with!! No need to cry worry about it now... I'm finishing up on m design for a custom enclosure, fiberglassed and with drawer/storage type box for misc crap that i like to keep around like GMHTP mags.. maybe somewhere to hold my helmet, suit, gloves etc.

Quick Reply: Got my 10pt chromoly put in... so love for the vert guys!!