Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

???s to former Fbod owners that are now C5/Z06 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???s to former Fbod owners that are now C5/Z06 owners

Just wanted to ask former F-body owners that are now C5 owners how they feel the two differ from each other. I know the C5s, the Z06s especially, can cut corners like a knife as well as denominate at speeds above 120MPH and more. But which car is more comfortable? How bout on road trips? Does the independent rear make for headaches? Do ya miss the rear seats?

The biggest problem I can see trading my 02 WS6 (29.4K miles) for the black on black 02 Z06 (10.2K miles) I found, other than the money difference and insurance, is the fact I'll lose my t-tops. Anyone miss the option of going in the open air?

Sticker on the Z06 is $34,800 with 10.4K miles. How does this stand with others out there? Sticker price being suckers price I think I can get it lowered a little. Opinions wanted!!

Semper Fi!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Teching In

That is a whoop but car; and the price dosn't sound bad either. Take it for a test ride and stand on it. A Trap intake and some tuning will make that thing boogie.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got both and they are totally different beasts. The biggest immediate difference you'll feel is how quick the Z06 is. At 3140 lbs., it is a LOT lighter than an f-body. It leaps into action. It's a blast to drive the 6 speed and you can do most corners at 50. My 'vert is very fast at the drag strip, but if you asked me which one I wanted to drive, 99 percent of the time, I grab the keys to the 'vette.

JUST DO IT!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Tony said it best I had a 430rwhp WS6 with Nittos the weight makes it feel like a different car. The Z06 LUNGES forward effortless while the F-body digs in and launches. Brakes are incredible and the handling is like a freaking go cart. The car is incredibly forgiving, you can be way out and she comes right back.

I love the F-body but now that the z06's and even more so the C5 are getting reasonably priced you can't beat the bang for buck.

The Vette is much more comfortable and solid car, I do miss my T-tops on nice days and if I could do it over again now that I'm modding the damn thing anyways I may have bought a low mile 98 coupe.....nah when I saw my Z06 on the lot that was it, right then and there I knew she would be mine
Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing that I can add that has not been stated are: 1. I miss the aggressive looks of the WS6 and 2. The Z06 is WAY more car that any fbody. I would have had to sink $20k or more into the WS6 to get it to be an all around performer that the Z is stock.

You asked about long trips. I would prefer the Z because its more comfortable to sit in to long periods. Add in the handling and accelleration and what else is there to say? I do not miss the back seats but I do miss the open air. Still not worth crying about for me. Take it for a spin and we'll see if you give it back.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ram-it
Take it for a spin and we'll see if you give it back.
LOL Well said, don't drive it unless your willing to buy it, because you will
Old 03-01-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
LOL Well said, don't drive it unless your willing to buy it, because you will

I agree. I never wanted one till I drove my freinds. Now.......

I own one
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The C5 is much more refined, much smoother, better handling, better braking, and simply feels a lot better to drive everyday. I don't miss my f-bodies for one second. Drive a C5 and you'll want one for sure.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

yeah me too... test drove a Z06 and it was all over... camaro for sale... I still wanted mod money so I went w/ a 99 FRC, the seats in the vette's are soo much more comfey too so I think a long road trip would be alot better... I dont miss the back seats at all, now I dont have to take people anywhere... there's more cargo room than it seems... and the drivers position feels alot better also.... just take the Z06 for a test drive and you'll be like "ohhh, now I understand".. lol...
Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM me, I could hook you up on a better deal on a 02' Z06 than that!! Trust me, you won't want to give back the keys. That is how I bought my first vette. My friend let me take his for a spin (he wasn't selling it), I bought it from him a short time later.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I miss the ease of working on my F-body. I had spent quite a bit of money on handling on my SS, but my FRC still handles better in corners. As for long trips.. I would have to say my F-body was better. I had more options in the F-body and it was easier to get out of. I am 6 foot 7 inches tall and weigh 280lbs.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get to drive both a Ws6 and a C5 frequently and I gotta say the C5 is more comfortable but putting stuff in the car is more of a hassle and more of a job keeping the leather good since there's more of it. But overall I enjoy riding the C5 8/10.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VINCE
I miss the ease of working on my F-body. I had spent quite a bit of money on handling on my SS, but my FRC still handles better in corners. As for long trips.. I would have to say my F-body was better. I had more options in the F-body and it was easier to get out of. I am 6 foot 7 inches tall and weigh 280lbs.

Really so far I'm enjoying working on the Vette... Of course I haven't installed a 408
Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Well, you gotta love plug changes on the C5. 1 hour to do plugs and wires on mine. My LT1, on the other hand...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TonyJ
Well, you gotta love plug changes on the C5. 1 hour to do plugs and wires on mine. My LT1, on the other hand...

LOL I used to cover my arms in bearing grease so I could slid them into spaces they didn't fit to change the plugs in my 93. And number 8 would be right there and sometime it just when in other times it took 2 hours and alot of cursing. Those were the days
Old 03-02-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Vettes a great looking car. Cruising wise love it. Little loud in the cab(takes getting use too). But a get head turner. Funny thing is my vette is my beater (drive it in rain and not afraid to leave it outside. ).
Love my fbody Camaro SS. Its my special cruising car, show car and drag car.
Wouldnt trade it in for nothing (maybe because I have so much into it ).
A Z06 will be sweet. Good luck !
Old 03-02-2005, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

I'll chime in.

Like previously stated, they are two totally different cars. The C5 and Z06 are so much quicker, nimbler and much more fun to drive. When I really noticed it was in the hills and around turns and at high speed it just sucks down and keeps going whereas in the F-body it felt like you hit a brick wall...

Once you drive one you will want one.
I have let a few people drive it and they understand immediately. hehe

My C5 is easier to work on IMO and more comfortable as well. I hate taking more than one person in a sports car...that's what a sedan or SUV is for!

Last edited by TwoKSS; 03-02-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

I like both of my cars for two different reasons. My 98 C5 coupe is very quiet and has a soft ride to it. My 94 TA is very loud and very stiff. I use both cars pretty equally, just depends what I'm in the mood for and what I'm using it for. Even though my TA has completely different suspension and brakes my C5 will outhandle and brake it no problem. I do like the TA better at top speed because it feels more stable and not floaty. I'll have to run my C5 at top speed again and see how it feels now with it being lowered and more downforce with the added Tigershark pieces. The nice thing about both of my cars is that I can take the top off. All in all, I'll probably never get rid of either cars because of the time and money spent on them.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason Blue Boost
Even though my TA has completely different suspension and brakes my C5 will outhandle and brake it no problem. I do like the TA better at top speed because it feels more stable and not floaty. I'll have to run my C5 at top speed again and see how it feels now with it being lowered and more downforce with the added Tigershark pieces.
That's funny, my 99 Camaro SS felt scary at 155+ mph and my Corvette feels very solid at 180 mph. The Vette has far better aerodynamics and holds the road much better at high speeds, stock vs stock.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I liked my 98 Z28 and it had lots of mods in the handling dept. but the Vette is far beyond my particular Fbody. I like my FRC for daily driving better even though I could carry more stuff (junk!) in my Z28. As far as long trips, the FRC Vette is the most comfortable vehicle I have driven. I drove for 13 hrs. in it with only stopping to eat and what not.

I think the F body is easier to put a cam in though!

Derek

Quick Reply: ???s to former Fbod owners that are now C5/Z06 owners