Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

F-body to Vette converts...advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face F-body to Vette converts...advise please?

I am asking this here, because Im pretty sure I will get flamed if I do it anywhere else!
I currently own an 01 TA. 55Kmiles, 6spd, lots of mods including MS3 cam.
Im bored with it.....it is my 5th Fbody.
I think that I may be ready to step up to a Vette. Ive always wanted a C5 and I need a change, something to re-energize my car passion. I think that I am just F-body'ed out.

I guess my BIGGEST concern is am I going to be dissapointed and regret going from a CLEAN 01 TA with a butt-load of mods, to a stock C5?

I REALLY want an 02+ Z06, but I just cant afford it.
Currently, Im working a deal with a dealership willing to give me $11,500 for my TA(payoff is $12,500) and get me in a Silver 2000 C5(80K miles, automatic with the HUD(this is cool to me!lol).
Essentially, I would be financing $20K and paying only $1K outa pocket.

What do yall think? Good deal? A TRUE step up? Am I going to hate the Automatic?

Any experiences with this(good or bad) would be very helpfull!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

If you are going to get one you better get what you really want. With the auto you are going to notice a decrease in take off, unless the C5 already has 3.42s or something higher installed. However you said it was stock so it won't. I think you will be impressed with the vette overall, but you'll get a bad case of mod fever right off the bat. I'd have trouble going from a 6 to an auto especially if I had plenty of mods. Good luck either way.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an ls1 camaro to a 2002 C5 Z06. The Z06 is a completely different car than the fbody. My personal preferrence is to get a 6speed. I think with a base C5 the difference is big but I would rather keep the fbody unless you can get yourself into a Z06. I think you may regret the swap.
The only reason I traded in the Z06 to go back to an fbody was because of the money. Im still in college and the Z06 was too much money right now.

Mods are a bit more difficult on a corvette too. The clutch is a PITA! Mods are generally more expensive too. So unless you are starting with a Z06, its not worth it to me.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I did the same thing as what you're thinking about doing. I went through 3 F-bods before selling my full bolt-on and cammed '99 T/A after 4 years of owning it. The T/A only had about 57K miles when I sold it too. I got around $12,900 for it and put all of that money towards my '02 Z06 with 27K miles. I did finance the rest and I can tell you one thing that's for sure...I do NOT regret it for one second. The Z is an absolute beast and handles like a dream. I know this car would kick the sh_t out of my higher HP T/A on a track and honestly I think the vette would be just a hair slower in the 1/4. The trans in the Z06 is amazing too...1-3 and 5-6 are all shorter than the T56 and I LOVE it. I think you may be disappointed going to a stock C5 as it's definitely going to fall short of your F-bods performance. That being said it's still a different animal. It's going to handle better, look MUCH better, better aerodynamics, etc. I say don't get an auto either. Get what you really want. You should look at '01 Z06's too because their small lack in power can easily be made up for with a few mods. Maybe you can find an '01 more in your price range.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd wait until you have the money for a C6 or C5 Z06. A 2000 C5 still has an interior feel that reminds you of an F-body. Mechanically, it is almost identical to your F-body, so even modding it is not that new an experience. A C6 feels like a fresh car and a later model C5 Z06 will provide a cool driving experience and a great platform to mod for more performance.

Your TA may loose another $2k in value by waiting six months to a year, but the car you really want will come down more. Save your money and be patient.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
I am asking this here, because Im pretty sure I will get flamed if I do it anywhere else!
I think that I may be ready to step up to a Vette. Ive always wanted a C5 and I need a change, something to re-energize my car passion. I think that I am just F-body'ed out.

I guess my BIGGEST concern is am I going to be dissapointed and regret going from a CLEAN 01 TA with a butt-load of mods, to a stock C5?

Currently, Im working a deal with a dealership willing to give me $11,500 for my TA(payoff is $12,500) and get me in a Silver 2000 C5(80K miles, automatic with the HUD(this is cool to me!lol).

What do yall think? Good deal? A TRUE step up? Am I going to hate the Automatic?

From my understanding the 20k you are financing is for the vette and the 1k is to pay of your ta. If this is true.... I think you need to look around more.... A silver c5 with 80k can be found in the 17k range pretty easy...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

If you cant seem to find a Z06 in your price range I beleive from what I've seen the 99-00 FRC's are a little cheaper and around the same price for what you might pay for that coupe your looking at. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the advice...keep it comin!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

DO IT MAVRIK!!!!!!!! how ya been btw?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Spend the extra money and get the z06, there is a guy on here selling his for $22.5K with less mile than the vette your looking at. If you search long enough you will find what you want in your price range. I wouuld also stick with m6.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-classifieds/845656-2001-corvette-z06-22-800-a.html
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I think you'll kick yourself in the *** about 2 months after you trade in the TA. If I was you I would keep the f-body unless you can find a C5Z in your price range.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

first things first. know it is a PITA but put the t/a back to stock. Sell the majority of aftermarket parts. You should still be able to sell that car for the same price if not more, plus make the money on the mods. Going from a cammed t/a to a stock c5 will not be what you want. Pay a little more and get a used 01 or 02 Z06 and stick in the MS3 cam out of your t/a. Talk about fun! Once you drive a stock C5 and a stock c5Z06, you will know right away what to buy, NO LIE!

There are a few Z06's for sale in this section that are a good deal. One is a 01 black Z06 you can get for around $22k. That dealer is going to make a crap load of money off of you! They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

here is one for sale, he just might trade you for his Z06 since he is wanting a t/a again.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/796046-selling-vette.html

Last edited by scramblerman; 02-28-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

that price is kind of high i just got a 2000 c5 auto with 28000 miles from a dealer for 19000 i went from a 98 f body auto heads cam and stall to the vette and i have no regrets
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would strongly recommend you wait and find the car you want. If you can afford the payments on 20k most likely you can afford the payments on 22-23k, the difference would not be more than 50 dollars a month. You can find C5Zs in the 22+ range. A z is a completely different animal over the coupe. You will have more hp and near perfect handling out of the box. Go with the Z my friend and you will smile ear to ear every time you drive it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

honestly its really kind of a no brainer........if you cant afford a Z06 of your choice than forget it exsists at this point. It doesnt matter if you are dealing with a 500hp supercharged ta M6 to a plain stock C5 LS1 A4 the vette driving is a way different driving experience....not to mention its a status symbol a vette is a sign of maturity maybe even wealth..........f body is bargain basement performance........and lets forget that either car moves for a minute if we may.......sitting in an open parking lot a washed up shined up C5 is sitting there as well as a trans am in the same condition what looks better?? seriously though a vette is an american exotic and anything can be made faster, i mean im sure theres a reason GM wanted 50k for a C5 new to the 30k for a fully loaded 02 WS6 i mean its your next step up!! i say if the shoe fits wear it
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Don't get a high-mileage auto C5.

Going from what you have now to that would be a disappointment. It will seem soo slow compared to what you have now.

Wait 6 months, put away $1k/month and then go get a used, low-mileage Z06 for $25k. They are out there. The performance difference between the Z06 and the high-mileage auto C5 you would otherwise have is tremendous.

Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Dude, if you are willing to spend that much, wait a little longer and get the Z. You really, really want the Z, and you'll spend all your mod money playing catchup with an auto C5.

In the meantime, try and sell your TA outright...because in a month or two, you will have made a couple more payments and even if you only get the same amount the stealership was offering, you are a little bit more ahead.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I honestly would wait till you find the Vette you WANT, not the one you can find. I bet you can sell that T/A privately for a lot more than a dealer would ever give you, or what the blue book says it should be worth. Wait till you can find the right Vette for you...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for thought. If you want to go fast get the auto. I see you have modded the f-body and if your gonna track the car on a regular bases strongly consider the auto. It will ET quicker and you will break less...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

man ive owned 5 f-bodies so far and i was in the same boat you are, i picked up a 2001 c5 a4 for 20 out the door....I LOVE IT!! i wasnt sure about it since it wasnt a 6 speed but i dont regret it for a second! im about to install the
ms4, stall, and gears.....man i promise you wont regret it!

Quick Reply: F-body to Vette converts...advise please?