new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft

Added MSD coils, engine smoother, all vibrations that I thought were drivetrain, virtually gone. Must have been misfires? No vibrations above 6000 RPM anymore. Motor doesn't seem to bog anymore.

Added Carbon Fiber driveshaft. ujoints very stiff. New vibrations appeared. Car not spinning tires as much, still a little in first, but virtually gone in second. at the time, thought I had lost rwhp. More on that later.

After driving for a while to loosen them up, (they were actually making rubber rubbing on metal sounds) . Pulled off and checked everything to make sure still tight and nothing contacting. Everything was fine. Now, I have what can best be described as a rumble that sounds like a ujoint bearing (accompanied by vibrations). It starts at lower RPM and gets worse as I drive. Not terrible, just annoying after I had just got the car rolling smoothly again. Occasionally, it will go away completely and everything smooths right out until I make a throttle change or push in the clutch, then it's back.

Went to the track anyway. First run of the day was an easy launch to a 1.8006 60ft. Easily besting my previous best all summer of 1.84. 1/4 was 11.85 @ 118 mph. No increase in 1/4 trap at all, but no decrease either. 1/8th mile trap speed down despite the better 60ft.

I ran 2 more 11.8s each getting better than the last. no more 2nd gear wheelspin at all and first hooking good, so I decided to launch a little harder.

Next run 11.789 @ 117.95 mph (car hot). 1.777 60ft the next 3 runs were 11.78s, @ 118 mph, with my best at 11.7802 @ 118 mph with a 1.7701 60ft. Previously, my only 2 11 second runs all summer were 11.91 and 11.98, both at 118 mph with 1.8 60ft. My previous average was 12.1.

The car hooks now, although 1.77 seems to be the limit it will do, I was just starting to roll the tires a little. 2nd gear wheelspin is now virtually non existent, where I often had to let out of the throttle a bit in 2nd to keep from hitting the rev limiter while spinning.

I'm sure the MSD coils had nothing to do with better traction but two of my 1.77 60ft times were achieved even though I dumped the clutch too soon and would have normally bogged, but instead, the motor just kept pulling. I have no idea why the driveshaft would have helped in this department, this is not a result I expected, though it is a welcome one. The car hooks way better on the street as well. No other changes were made and this was done on the same Nittos with 17 psi that I have been running all summer.

I am now averaging 2 tenths better than my previous best. I was hoping for a bit of a trap speed increase, but I will take this. I am going to have to find this rumble. I will pull the preload spacer out of my poly trans mount, this thing makes my transmission sit up a little high. I will also pull the driveshaft and check the ujoints, Don't think they should still be stiff. If I can't get this figured out, I will yank the joints out of my stock driveshaft and use them.

pics attached, be nice
Attached Thumbnails new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft-000_0003.jpg   new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft-leftfront.jpg   new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft-outside-front.jpg   new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft-outside-right.jpg   new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft-right-rear.jpg  

Old 10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O man are those coils expensive.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Clean looking car.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

So why did you go with the MSD coils?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

i heard the LQ9 coils were just as good, is that a safe assumption?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
O man are those coils expensive.
Why, yes they are, but then, there are no more free or cheap mods that I can do without taking stuff off the car
Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chandlerc5
i heard the LQ9 coils were just as good, is that a safe assumption?
I can't say I picked up a ton of power with the MSD,s because my traps just don't support that. The engine does run better, though.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
So why did you go with the MSD coils?
Mainly because the only things left that I can really do to the motor are..

383 stroker shortblock = $4,000

or FI (I will never have nitrous on anything that I drive) = $5000.00 + $4,000 for a shortblock rebuild because my stock bottom end won't handle much more than I am making now :-)

I don't want to turn my car into a gutted trailer queen, so $700.00 for some coils, seemed like a deal

And, they were pretty red... come one

Quick Reply: new results with MSD coils and ACPT c/f driveshaft