Tony Pedregon's explosion at Pomona

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tony Pedregon's explosion at Pomona

Tony's motor lets go in a nasty explosion......

Tony walked away with some 2nd degree burns....he's a lucky man !

Here's a you tube vid of the pass...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P81ArKFHGfA

Last edited by Hawkn01; 02-11-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boom
Old 02-11-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad he lived through that.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why there is safety equipment, Also they need to dial in the 90% mix Nitro since they are allowed to use up to that, this year again.

John Force, in great form checking in on Tony, it was very touching.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Even though they can run 90% this year, most were still running 85% this weekend. Tony's explosion had nothing to do with nitro percentage. It was a crank gear failure.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Yes, and look who he is running. Same lane, different track but thats the lane John was in.

Crank or cam gear broke. They called it from the tower. When that happens valves stay open, fuel keeps coming. In that case wouldn't have made any difference what percentage the Nitro was. It's just going to blow. Tony credited the new interior design as being why he walked away. Those things are bombs on wheels.

An old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a good pic of the stuff hitting Johns car to.

It was good to see him getting out of the car. It was VERY good to see the car not break in half like Johns did last year!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

no video?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ta_06374
no video?

Come on guys! I am not ragging on you, or anyone but.. ESPN - there are only what 24 events to watch? Next one is in two weeks. If you can't go tape it, if you forget to watch. The only way this sport will last is for us to go or watch.....and suppor the sport. Support the companies on the sides of the cars. ie Just the the sponsors here!!

It's a crime - Dave Connolly no sponsor. Only scored 3100 + points last season. Was one of the top 4 in Pro Stock last season. One of the best leavers in the business... A nice young kid from Ohio.

1970 Bill Grumpy Jenkins, from some little town in Pa, won the first NHRA Pro Stock Event in a Vega. Chevrolet made the Vega.

A grumpy old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
It's a crime - Dave Connolly no sponsor. Only scored 3100 + points last season. Was one of the top 4 in Pro Stock last season. One of the best leavers in the business... A nice young kid from Ohio.
thats a crying shame...didn't he win 5 in a row last year....absolutely insane for such a tight class
Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

I was also suprised at the lack of sponsors on some of the cars. I hope Connly can make the next race with a sponsor.

Hell I was rooting for "Hot Rod" all year last year!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Never seen a fire suit get destroyed like his for being such a quick fire (though Im sure it felt like an eternity to Tony!). His fire-pants were burned thru at the knees.

Also, Billy Glidden is running in Pro Stock this year (qualified 11th) in case anyone didn't know... speaking of lack of sponsors.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRZ Motorsports
Never seen a fire suit get destroyed like his for being such a quick fire (though Im sure it felt like an eternity to Tony!). His fire-pants were burned thru at the knees.

Also, Billy Glidden is running in Pro Stock this year (qualified 11th) in case anyone didn't know... speaking of lack of sponsors.
yup I caught that My wife was like "who is Glidden?"
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

They said a peice of the body that was on fire, stayed lodged on top of his legs for awhile.
It didn't burn all the way through, but did get through several layers of the his suit. He had nothing but praise for Bill Simpsons firesuit design and said it did it's job well.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Here is a quote from a race site I was visiting......

"Dave is not running at Pomona. I am unsure about Phoenix at this point, but I know for a fact that he will run at Gainesville and that is plenty of time to get into the Countdown."
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I had just turned on the drag racing as him and John Force were doing there burnouts. That was definetly a bad crash I think what I heard was there was interference over his headset when he did the run as his crew was telling him he had a redlight but he never heard it since something went wrong or something along that line. Im glad Tony walked away from it and it was touching seeing John Force after the race. It must of also been hard for his daughter Ashley to make the run since she was next up and im sure John had a million things going through his head when she made that run.

Thank god everyone came out ok from this as it was bad and I think if Tony had not redlighted John Force may have been involved in that accident as well
Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

I guess I am too damn brand loyal. Glidden Sr. is way up on the all time victory list. We wasn't driving a Dodge. Ford. He quit racing Pro Stock after not being competative in a Probe. Now he returns his son in a Dodge. The kid also drove in the all FORD series for years. The cost is just too much. It's killing the sport. Turning everyone into Porch Monkeys like Jake and me.

An angry old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

I saw that last night, it was bad.
Am I crazy of did I see Antron Browns name in the top fuel or funny car field last night?
I didn't watch the whole show but I could swear I caught the name in one of those classes.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tektrans
I saw that last night, it was bad.
Am I crazy of did I see Antron Browns name in the top fuel or funny car field last night?
I didn't watch the whole show but I could swear I caught the name in one of those classes.
Nope not crazy. He is running a nitro car this year. It was a shock to me as well when I saw that.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Yup Antron made the jump to TF Should be a good move in the grand scheme of things I think.

As far a Glidden? Might want to check into that a little more Bob has been crew chiefing other teams for a while. Him and his boys had it out a few years ago. He felt there was some thing going on not all above table. I am sure they are all good now.

I have always been a huge Glidden fan

Now you want to talk about about some one blowing a great thing? Lets talk about GM Dumping everyone but "The Professor" at the very beginning of the 94 season with no warning. Damn near killed the SONOCO seirse. John Force had a brand new LT1 Harrry Glass body waiting to go on the car. . . . GM put there ***** on the self and Ford sntched him up. The rest is history!

I am pretty Brand Loyal but I have got to tell you I can only keep my wife in her 95 Z28 for so long before I am going to be forced into a new mustang. The Only reason she does not have one now is they do not have a damn thing in the way of a good engine or transmission.

I guess I have gone off topic guys sorry about that.

Quick Reply: Tony Pedregon's explosion at Pomona