Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
nice build man. what do you do for a living?
Thanks for the props, guy!!! I'm having a lot of fun with this project!

As far as what I do for a living... I'm a Systems Test Engineer for a major Aerospace Company by day... And I'm the owner/operator of a LS Series Engine building business at night and on weekends. And in my spare time, I design custom parts and products for use on the LS Series engine... The remaining 4 hours of that 24 hour day, I sleep.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSmonster
As far as what I do for a living... I'm a Systems Test Engineer for a major Aerospace Company by day... And I'm the owner/operator of a LS Series Engine building business at night and on weekends. And in my spare time, I design custom parts and products for use on the LS Series engine... The remaining 4 hours of that 24 hour day, I sleep.
Damn, now thats one hell of a resume
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
Damn, now thats one hell of a resume
Maybe... But all that crap doesn’t help me very much when it comes to this kinda stuff.

The hard part is making the first cut. But once you conquer that fear, it gets a lot easier.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

nice man. your car is going to be fast. i hope to see u n my home town of stl for the lsx shootout!!

Thanks for the props, guy!!! I'm having a lot of fun with this project!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

any updates???
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates???
Nothing new on the car. Right now I'm working on the motor plate and the crank pulleys for the alternator, fuel pump and oil pump. Doing that, along with making a alternator bracket and crank trigger bracket is eating up some hours... But I think it will be worth the time and effort once it's finished. The goal is to have everything mounted to the engine and have all the drive pulleys behind the damper... No hub or drives pulleys will be mounted on the front of the harmonic balancer. Doing it this way will eliminate all the custom one off parts that are usually associated with builds like this, plus it will clear up a ton of room in front of the engine for turbos and what-not.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

thats cool. should be nice when finished. will that setup be on the market for everyone someday
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats cool. should be nice when finished. will that setup be on the market for everyone someday
If it works out... Sure.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started working on the sway bar set-up. The mounting brackets will tie into the roll cage from above when finished, and all the parts will be adjustable and replaceable without cutting up the car. The arms made out of 7075-T9 aluminum and are SUPER strong! Once clamped onto the shaft, the shaft would fail before the teeth would shear, or the arm would brake... They are that strong! And having independent arms that are removable and clockable gives me total adjustment... Way more than just a heim joint alone.

All the sway bar components and attachment points will be able above the axle housing. Nothing will hang down. I'm not even sure you will be about to see anything unless you crawl under the car. I'll post more pics as the project develops.

The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-1286.jpg
The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-1280.jpg
The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-1281.jpg
Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Updates?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duffster
Updates?
Nothing major... I'm waiting on some parts right now. But I did get ripped off for a complete Big Stuff 3 computer system from a local dealer... That was a nice little screwing I got this week... I'll never pre-pay with cash or a check for anything again!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

edited just in case legal action becomes necessary and don't want anything incriminating available

Last edited by Duffster; 03-16-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duffster
No receipt or their home address for burning down?
Yeah, I got all that so if I have to take them to court I'm covered. They said they we're gonna make it good, so I'm gonna give them a chance. But as time goes by, I'm finding it harder and harder to find people who value their name and their "word"... Sad. :-/
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a rough draft of my new motor plate, alternator mount bracket and crank trigger bracket.

Water pump fittings simply screw into it, and you can run a fully adjustable factory alternator. You can also run a dry sump pump. And by simply adding an extra pulley to the dry sump pump shaft, you can run a vacuum pump too. A Mechanical Magna Fuel pump will be mounted and driven off the back side of the dry-sump pump. Everything bolts to the engine or motor plate so you don't have to attach anything to the frame. Everything will come in and out of the car as a single unit. Quick and simple.

It's still in process so it's still a little rough. And the belts are not tight. I didn't have the correct length on hand so ignore the slack in them. But overall, I think it will work great and be very user friendly.

The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-1321.jpg
Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Nice looking build man... Keep up the good work!

You should be able to trim up around the alternator and dry sump though right? I wouldn't think those pieces coming down on the side have any structural integrity anymore do they?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patriotformula
Nice looking build man... Keep up the good work!

You should be able to trim up around the alternator and dry sump though right? I wouldn't think those pieces coming down on the side have any structural integrity anymore do they?
Thanks! And yes, I'll trim it up later. I just wanted to start off big and trim it up after everything is and where I want it to be.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Keep us updated... Love it man!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a rough draft of my new motor plate, alternator mount bracket and crank trigger bracket.

Water pump fittings simply screw into it, and you can run a fully adjustable factory alternator. You can also run a dry sump pump. And by simply adding an extra pulley to the dry sump pump shaft, you can run a vacuum pump too. A Mechanical Magna Fuel pump will be mounted and driven off the back side of the dry-sump pump. Everything bolts to the engine or motor plate so you don't have to attach anything to the frame. Everything will come in and out of the car as a single unit. Quick and simple.

It's still in process so it's still a little rough. And the belts are not tight. I didn't have the correct length on hand so ignore the slack in them. But overall, I think it will work great and be very user friendly.

Attachment 225780
Looks good I'll take one
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

The motor plate fab is very cool. A+ so far lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I finally decided "for sure" what I'm going to do for the engine. (Forgive me if I mention a non-sponsors name)... I'm not very sure on the rules about that in a build thread.

The "trainer" engine I built for this car is out now. It will be going in a 93 Ford LX Coupe that I'm building along with this car. If there is any interest in that project, I'll start another thread if yaw want to see it.

I've been working with Terry at "The Supercharger Store" this week, and he just finished up a F3 Procharger crank drive set-up that I'm going to use in this car... It should be here next week. I will have a little engineering to do to make it work with my motor plate, but I'm excited to get it all mocked up.

The new engine that I'm putting together is a 421 inches. The block is a ERL Performance Super Deck I piece, with a 6-bolt deck. Brian Nutter @ Wiseco is making the custom pistons, and Total Seal will be supplying the rings. The crank is a Callies Magnum. The rods will be Carrillo and GRP. (Steel rods for testing, aluminum rods in the final product) Cary at Induction Performance will be supplying the heads and intake, and the heads are freakin' monster!... Canted valve heads that flow around 470 cfm. They should be ready in a little over four weeks if all goes well. Jesel will be supplying the rocker arms, and Manley will be supplying the pushrods. The cam is a experimental stick that Billy Briggs helped me spec out. (Thanks Billy) ARE supplied the Dry Sump system and Magna Fuel with supplying all of the fuel system.

I'll post up the crank drive set-up next week when it gets here... I know I still have a long way to go, but I think it just got a lot more interesting.

Quick Reply: The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.