Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Turbo Ta Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I just so happen to have a couple more pics of that front end from this weekend.

Sean
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

This came today

Sean
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooh, I really like that upper shock mounting setup.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Alright kiddies, this week sees some visible progress finally! Ill just skip to the pictures this time around!

Got the motor back to the house and un-crated (They did an awesome job crating this thing up, as noted by the cradle)

We had to muscle it onto the stand since we don't have a cherry picker, but it all worked out just fine.

Not to exciting, but here is the bottom side

Next on my list of **** to do was getting rid of the clutch pedal. Here is what I started with

Took it apart

Found the two welds that attached the clutch part of the assembly to the rest of what actually bolts into the car

Ground them out

Then just pooped it off and smoothed it all out

And there you have it, no more clutch pedal and it still bolts to the car the same way so no strength has been lost. I will have to make a piece for the brake pedal to hinge on though.

Finally drilled the holes for the shifter mount (on the car side) so we tossed it in there to check it out. Don't mind the baller bolts

While I was doing that, Chris was busy pulling out the rear end so he can take it to get it shortened next week.

So empty

He also cleaned the **** out of the engine bay, and the interior. Then he painted all the bare metal inside to get it all ready for carpet. I wont bother putting pictures of this stuff up. But I will put this one up just because

Saturday morning, and we are ready for carpet! Here is Chris smoothing it out before we got started.

Getting started

Bolted in the shifter for the first time.

It is harder than you think...

This is about as far as the carpet got this weekend, I didn't want to try and tackle the rear bars all alone.

Other than what you see in the pics we finally wrapped up all the small work under the car. All thats left is to clean it which Chris will get done during the week. Next weekend we will start getting the motor together so we can at least get the measurement for push rods. As I said before the rear end is going to Midwest Chassis to get shortened up 3" per side as well. And maybe we can get the carpet finished up so the interior plastics can go back in. Thanks for looking!

Sean
Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems like a lot of work for simply removing the clutch pedal. I had a set of automatic pedals you could of had if you paid the shipping. No one ever wanted them so I threw them away a couple days ago.

Those allen wrench bolts are pretty baller. I really like those carbon fiber shifters. I may end up getting one for my 93 at some point. I just like the OEM stealthy look.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That seems like a lot of work for simply removing the clutch pedal. I had a set of automatic pedals you could of had if you paid the shipping. No one ever wanted them so I threw them away a couple days ago.

Those allen wrench bolts are pretty baller. I really like those carbon fiber shifters. I may end up getting one for my 93 at some point. I just like the OEM stealthy look.
It wasnt that much work so far, but I havent made the spacer yet. We didnt want to spend the money/time trying to find a set of automatic pedals. Plus the brake pedal is smaller on the manulal, so its lighter this way

Your jealous of the allen key bolts, I can tell. The shifter is sweet Chris had a hard time finding one. They discontinued the all carbon one right before we were getting ready to order one. Luckily he found a place that had one sitting on a shelf, I think it was from 2004 or so.

Sean
Old 05-02-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build, If you dont mind me asking what did that whole front kit cost or what are they going to charge?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS_SS69
Awesome build, If you dont mind me asking what did that whole front kit cost or what are they going to charge?
I would say to talk to eric about the price. He is a sponser on here, midwest chassis. If you need contact info let me know.

Thanks, chris
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
I would say to talk to eric about the price. He is a sponser on here, midwest chassis. If you need contact info let me know.

Thanks, chris
Cool ill shoot him a call tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Here we are, week 4 (I think) and shes moving along. I would say that this weekend was full of ups and downs. The plan for this weekend was somewhat simple, finish the carpet (and get the plastics in), assemble the motor as far as we could, and get the rear end narrowed. I guess we will start with the carpet/interior then.

Here is the carpet finished, and the plastics back in

Next up is the brake pedal, if you remember last week I had cut off the clutch pedal. Well that caused one small issue, the bolt that held in the clutch pedal also held in the brake pedal. No big deal, chopped it down, bored a hole and wa-lah a perfect fit spacer!

Toss in a grade 8 bolt, and its all set.

I still have to drill the pedal for the manual master, but then it can go back in the car (next weekend).

Next we will travel down to Midwest Chassis where Eric narrowed the rear end 3" each side. We left to get some food so we missed the cutting part, BUT we came back in time for safety 101

Here is the chunk he chopped off

The new end

Welding it up

All done and back home

Close up of the welds

We have to send the axles back to Moser to get narrowed, so no pictures of it all finished.

On to the good stuff, the motor!!! Chris had installed the heads during the week, so this is how we started out this weekend.

Put the rockers in, and marked the valves so we could measure for push rod length

Thats when problem #1 came up. We bent the push rod checker and it got wedged in the motor, so we had to pull the head off. At least I was able to take some pictures then

Nice crosshatching

Artsy motor shot

Artsy valve spring shot

Artsy head shot

Chamber pic

OK now that that is over with, head back on and torqued, and the valley cover installed

Front cover, crank pulley, and valve covers on

Water pump on, and the start of problem #2

Because of the way the turbo kit is built (using forward facing truck manifolds) the alternator had to be located on the top side of the motor. Since that is all we have left to run a belt to, the water pump is directly in the way. So it came right back off and boxed back up. We are not 100% set on a solution yet, but we will get it figured out.

Moving on, here is a picture of the motor as we left it for the weekend.

Thats all for this installment, as always thanks for looking!

Sean
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx

Thanks, chris
I will be using Eric's stuff as well. He did a nice job on it and it look's very good in the car. I would tell anyone looking to a front K-Member for drag racing should check it out.

Good luck with the build. Ed
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, Eric does great work we are always happy with his parts!

Thanks Eddie! BTW I liked the YB shoutout last week

Sean
Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Yeah, Eric does great work we are always happy with his parts!

Thanks Eddie! BTW I liked the YB shoutout last week

Sean
Thanks, I got a ton of e-mails and PM's for doing it. They are a bunch of crazy SOB's over their. I guess thats why I hang out their also. Their is always something or someone putting someone else on the chip. LOL.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good guys, the car has come along way
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

what carpet is that and where did you get it? It looks good.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Looking good guys, the car has come along way
Yes it has. Thank you for all of your help during the turbo build!

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
what carpet is that and where did you get it? It looks good.
Carpet is Ozite. it is a pain. It comes 80" wide, and how ever long you order it, i got 5 yrds.

Everyone on here buys it from

http://www.yourautotrim.com/black7.html

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good, I'd look into a set of strange axles before too long. Moser doesn't heat treat their axles after they cut them which makes them weak.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Looks good, I'd look into a set of strange axles before too long. Moser doesn't heat treat their axles after they cut them which makes them weak.
Thanks for the tip Phil, we will keep it in mind.

Sean
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!

You can mount that alt down where the A/C compressor went and mount the tensioner up on top of the drivers side if you are creative enough. I recently made the bracketry for a friend that has a truck manifold kit.

Quick Reply: The Turbo Ta Build Thread