Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Turbo Ta Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we kinda thought about it.. probably could of done it, but would of been tight fit, plus alot of heat from the manifold on the alt..

I returned that pump, and am just going to go to a remote setup, and do the plates on the block for the 4 -12's...

Thank you though. Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Carpet is Ozite. it is a pain. It comes 80" wide, and how ever long you order it, i got 5 yrds.

Everyone on here buys it from

http://www.yourautotrim.com/black7.html

Thanks, Chris
Ok that is what I was thinking. Is that the black you have or the graphite grey? they are out of black at the moment.

Ive heard 4 yards should work perfect for these cars. what do you think?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
Ok that is what I was thinking. Is that the black you have or the graphite grey? they are out of black at the moment.

Ive heard 4 yards should work perfect for these cars. what do you think?
Mine is the black. I got 5 yards.. If you are just going the the flat spot in truck, and not doing the trunk i bet 4 yrds is more then enough. I have alot left over. I can try to meausre it maybe end of the week, or weekend, and let you know what i have left.

Chris

Ps... Use scottkeen as the coupon code. Its good for 15% off.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Mine is the black. I got 5 yards.. If you are just going the the flat spot in truck, and not doing the trunk i bet 4 yrds is more then enough. I have alot left over. I can try to meausre it maybe end of the week, or weekend, and let you know what i have left.

Chris

Ps... Use scottkeen as the coupon code. Its good for 15% off.
Sweet, Ill def. you use that. Yea im only gonna go to the end of the flat spot and then you the light tweedish stuff in the well part still.

Might try that grey if they dont get black soon, if not Ill find some crappy stuff local and just use it.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suspension is All midwest Chassis Everywhere.
Rear Lower control arms, and panhard bar
Fron Upper, and lower control arm, Spindle, Manual rack, K Member
Rear stock spring, with Comp Engingeering strut
Front Stage Drag coilover

Brakes
Midwest chassis Manual Master
Replume the entire Car with brake line, and Strange 4 piston drag brakes @ all 4 corners

Rear End
Midwest Chassis Fab 9
spool, 35 spline axles, ect

Here is a shot of the stock brakes

A couple of comparison shots between the stock rotor and the strange rotor

And the strange brakes done

Eric thats looking good, may have to give you a call.
Can you work up a price on the complete front end with out motor mounts? Including the brakes.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build!!! You have a killer looking T/A with a very nice collection of parts. That's going to be a very nice turbo car when completed.

-Dave
Old 05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikes94z
Eric thats looking good, may have to give you a call.
Can you work up a price on the complete front end with out motor mounts? Including the brakes.
I would suggest you pm eric, or give him a call. I dont know his exact pricing for the front end stuff yet.

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dacajun
Nice build!!! You have a killer looking T/A with a very nice collection of parts. That's going to be a very nice turbo car when completed.

-Dave
Thank you. I cannot wait to get this damn thing done! way to much going on with it, the family and work!

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

looks great so far...

how fast do you plan on going? IIRC, that 42-76 turbo ran out of steam pretty quickly on Kyle's old setup and they had to switch to an S88 for that reason...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
9 Second Club

i would like to see mid 9s on this turbo, maybe a low 9, there are already plans of building my own manifolds and redoing the turbo kit with a 91 or so
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

OK it has been a few weeks now, may as well have an update! We took one weekend off, and had some slow weekends in there, but we got after it full force yesterday and knocked out a lot of work. We will start with 5-14, all we really got accomplished was measuring for push rods, and mocking up the turbo.

I made a new Oil feel line for the turbo, and got started on a new drain for it as well. That was really all we got done that entire weekend

Next up was the weekend of the 28th, where we got some parts in but not a ton of work done again.

Here are the axles back from being shortened 3" each by Moser
\

We plugged the holes for the knock sensors (we won’t be running them anymore) and installed the valley cover. Also (no pics) installed the push rods and buttoned up the motor. You can also see the -12 adapters for running the remote water pump installed on the front of the motor.

Quick shot of the motor all ready to go, rockers, valve covers, intake manifold, fuel rails, etc. are all torqued for the final time.

Just a quick shot of the garage before we burned all the boxes.

I also whipped up a mount for the line lock which you can see on the master cylinder in this pic along with most of the parts needed for the brake lines (from Jerry Bickle race cars)

Modified the stock throttle cable bracket

Here are a few pics of the Aluminum trans cross member that Eric at Midwest Chassis made for us.

We also got the rear end back in the car with the axles in and the brakes mounted, I didn’t bother taking any pics though.

Now we are up to yesterday where we knocked out some major work. We will start with running the new fuel lines. I spent a while making up some lines, then dove under the car and had at it. Here is the start of it all.

Nothing to exciting to say here, so I will just throw up some pics

Left a little loop so that we can get the fuel filter on and off without too much hassle.

This is where we stopped with the fuel lines for now, until we get the motor in

Chris was inside the car working on the wiring when he wasn’t busy under the car helping me run the lines. Once we both finished up we put the dash back in for the first time.

We did not realize how close the dash was going to be to the shifter, but we lucked out and it clears just fine. Another 1/2 of an inch though and we would not be so happy.

Played with how to lay out the gauges

Here is the adapter plate for the manual master

We ended up taking the dash back out so that we could get the shifter all wrapped up. Had to install and wire the neutral safety switch and the reverse light switch. We also had to install and route the shifter cable while we were at it, then reinstall the cover and the grip. After that we put the dash back in for the last time, also trimmed and installed the passenger a-pillar cover. After that we fixed the broken driver side window and re-installed the driver door panel. I didn’t get pictures of any of this, because it was 3am by this time and I wanted to take a shower and pass out. So as you can see progress is being made, but it hasn’t been to interesting to post. We are closing in on finishing the car though, so the next few weekends should be busy. As always thanks for looking!

Sean
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Looks great! I might have to modify my throttle cable bracket too

I should give Eric a call to see what he can do for a 4L80e cross member w/ torque arm mount
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Got my new rear wheels in. They are 15x10 4.5 backspace champions. They look great, and are super light.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Broke EF
I just so happen to have a couple more pics of that front end from this weekend.

Sean
I recently did my brothers front struts,I noticed that the top upper control arm mounts were pretty rusty as well as the rubber things in them.It kind of concerned me a little.I didn't know if they could crack so I went ahead and replaced them.I saw a little rust on your upper control mount.It concerned me a little?man hope Im not being to picky.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

RobZ Where did you get the new upper a arm mounts? I've been looking to get new ones for my 93Z28. I figured if I'm putting all new front end components on why not get new mounts also. I just ordered the strut mounts and I just need the upper a arm mount.

thanks Jeff
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have new ones out soon that will be lighter than the stock ones, but they are initially designed to be used with an integrated double shear shock mount like the setup is in these pics. I may do more of a stock replacement option later if there is enough interest. these were the original shocks on this car and were converted from stock stud upper mount style to the bearing style.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RobZ
I recently did my brothers front struts,I noticed that the top upper control arm mounts were pretty rusty as well as the rubber things in them.It kind of concerned me a little.I didn't know if they could crack so I went ahead and replaced them.I saw a little rust on your upper control mount.It concerned me a little?man hope Im not being to picky.
When eric did my front end, he told me about having new ones out down the line. I will end up having a set of those as soon as there ready.

Thanks, Eric
Old 06-13-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TAHOE5.3 The front mounts were just some I had of my old car,The were used but better condition.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a hell of a build But I also wanna know about the front end. How much for the whole thing with brakes and motor mounts.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
Thats a hell of a build But I also wanna know about the front end. How much for the whole thing with brakes and motor mounts.
You will need to contact Eric from Midwest Chassis for that info. His screen name on here is ssvert99

Thanks,
Sean

Quick Reply: The Turbo Ta Build Thread