Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??

anybody have a carbd f body race car? i have been wanting to build a race car for quite sometime and am thinkin about turnin my TA into one. the reason i ask is cuz i would transfer all the drivetrain into a old camaro and daily drive that instead. if anybody has pics post up please.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a few I've seen floatin around on here... I'm not sure why anybody would convert to a carb but to each his own. I've got a carbed 383 in my 68 camaro and I HATE IT, I'm good with em but I just cant stand messing with em.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
there are a few I've seen floatin around on here... I'm not sure why anybody would convert to a carb but to each his own. I've got a carbed 383 in my 68 camaro and I HATE IT, I'm good with em but I just cant stand messing with em.
i would want to convert my 99 ta to a carb because i would use my wiring harness, computer, and fuel injection setup in a 71 camaro so that i could drive that everyday no matter what and just hop in and it starts. no fooling around with carbs for a daily driver. but i dont mind playing with them if they are on a race car. see what i mean?

also we have smog in california. which sucks and if i put my setup in a smog exempt car here in california i would not have to worry about getting illegal smogs or hasseled by the cops.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

You can make more power with fuel injection and a computer. It is way more precise and tunable
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dominator carb on my camaro. It's not a dedicated race car though. More of a weekend warrior.

I'm backwards when it comes to carbs and EFI though. I'd much rather have the carb.

~Jim~
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
You can make more power with fuel injection and a computer. It is way more precise and tunable
Depending on the setup, this statement IS NOT true.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

You apparently didnt go to LS fest...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's more up to the tuner and his abilities then it is the carb vs efi thing.

If you want to talk to someone that's done it, waterproofer on here put a carb on his setup. I'm not sure what ti's running currently, but it 100% has the potential to absolutely FLY.

Jim Filipowski also has a blow thru carb setup on his turbo car. If I remember right, that's a 106mm on a 396 CI motor, and it's running well into the 7's... so I wouldn't just negate that a carb.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

waterproofer is a customer of mine. I'll see if he can chime in with some pics.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the deal is a carb make 25 more horsepower than an efi . and it easy
if you want coil packs 6010 msd box plugs in to the crank and cam sensor easy. or a dist drive kurt urban or gm has one.
its the best thing i have ever done. sv-1 pro systems. you will need to cut the cowl to the glass and notch the plastic .
Attached Thumbnails Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??-98-trans-am-diet-279-1600x1200-.jpg   Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??-98-trans-am-diet-283-1600x1200-.jpg   Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??-98-trans-am-diet-280-1600x1200-.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will make 25 hp with the setup you have. You have to switch from an ls style intake to see that 25hp increase. If you go from carb style efi intake with a tb to a carb, you won't see much if any difference at all.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You will make 25 hp with the setup you have. You have to switch from an ls style intake to see that 25hp increase. If you go from carb style efi intake with a tb to a carb, you won't see much if any difference at all.
i gained over 100 to the wheels on motor. my car is not the norm. efi is to save gas. and great for tunning turbos. but for na or on the dope carb is the way to go. and just the sv1 carb gains of 15-40 over the holley 4bbl. and 5 m.p.h. can u smell what iam cooking..........
Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

How is it not more precise and tunable? I never said it was easier to tune. With a direct port EFI you have 8 adjustable sprays that are closer to the heads and cylinders, instead of 4 (Im assuming you will go single carb based on your cubic inches and what most are talking about) that flow down the intake with the air which doesn't distribute as evenly to the cylinders. Direct Port EFI is more efficient in every way except price. Thats why all the car manufacturers have gone to EFI as well. Do some research, just about everywhere says DP EFI makes about the same or a little more power. Although, with boost it doesn't really matter
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html (just one example)
As you can see here it greatly depends on having the proper set up:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ley/index.html
If carbs made more power all the pro racers would run them. Warren Johnson has been lobbying for EFI in Pro Stock for a long time.
I'm not saying to run EFI. if you dont like messing with computers and such, then go with a carb because they are easier and more enjoyable to you. They make close to the same power on a all out race tune, but it is harder to get them to fit with the cowl and windshield, and I don't think much cheaper when you have to buy cowl hoods and such. Also, the car is already set up for EFI. Do what makes you happy and have fun!!!

Last edited by ProMaroZ; 09-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
9 Second Club

How is it not more precise and tunable? I never said it was easier to tune. With EFI you have 8 adjustable sprays that are closer to the heads and cylinders, instead of 4 (Im assuming you will go single carb based on your cubic inches and what most are talking about) that flow down the intake with the air which doesn't distribute as evenly to the cylinders. EFI is more efficient in every way except price. Thats why all the car manufacturers have gone to EFI as well. Do some research, just about everywhere says EFI makes about the same or a little more power.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html (just one example)
If carbs made more power all the pro racers would run them. Warren Johnson has been lobbying for EFI in Pro Stock for a long time, and why don't the the dragsters, funny cars, and pro mod still run them? I go to 2 NHRA drag races a year, including Indy, and more and more cars that don't have the class restrictions are going to EFI set ups.
I'm not saying to run EFI. if you dont like messing with computers and such, then go with a carb because they are easier and more enjoyable to you. It is harder to get them to fit with the cowl and windshield, and I don't think much cheaper when you have to buy cowl hoods and such. Also, the car is already set up for EFI. Do what makes you happy and have fun
Did you seriously just compare TF and FC fuel injection to EFI?

Like said forced induction cars use EFI to fine tune and etc, but a carb. on a NA setup will run just as good if not better.

It's been proven more than once. Unless you think the guys over at W2W are retarded.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Our carbed LT1 car runs a hell of a lot faster now then when it was injected. The most difficult thing with an Lt1 was trying to find a good tuner,which never happened.
Attached Thumbnails Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??-carb-013.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Warren Johnson has been lobbying for EFI in Pro Stock for a long time.
WJ himself said the motors would make more power with Carbs, but the motors would last longer on EFI.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a carb on my F-Body, but it's a weekend warrior like BassPro said
Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill be running a carb on my motor if i can ever finish it.....
Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

thanks guys for helpin me out with the pics and everything. i really appreciate it, i thought i was gonna strike out. waterproof your setup is bad ***. did you just cut the whole cowl off? or did you do firewall work too to get so much clearance?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Did you seriously just compare TF and FC fuel injection to EFI?

Like said forced induction cars use EFI to fine tune and etc, but a carb. on a NA setup will run just as good if not better.

It's been proven more than once. Unless you think the guys over at W2W are retarded.
Not intentionally, I was editing my post and accidently posted it then you must have quoted me when I was editing. I took it out cuz they are supercharged and not really EFI. I will use the "Preview Post" button from now on...

slow67
Quote: WJ himself said the motors would make more power with Carbs, but the motors would last longer on EFI.

Warren Johnson: Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine. A carb’s pressure differential atomizes the gas a lot better than spraying fuel through an orifice. But EFI has a broader powerband and superior cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution. The 1,100- to 1,300-cfm dual carbs are good only over a narrow range, about 1,500 rpm at most. EFI performs well over 2,000 rpm or more. On average, if optimized, both systems perform about the same as far as how fast you get down the track. However, the EFI system is much easier to tune than a carburetor.

It depends on how you look at it. Yes carbs make more peak power, but like I said EFI makes more power, which is does since it makes power over a broader range. None the less the debate rages on and will for along time to come.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get your with this debate. I am done now.

Quick Reply: Any F Body Carbd Race Cars Out There??