Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read NHRA rules...still a few Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Read NHRA rules...still a few Q's.

So I want to build my Trans Am as a show AND go car. SO knowing my plans for forced induction, I'll want a cage...probably go 6 pt. I just don't want a typical bolt in cage or one that sits out in the interior like they ALL seem to. The question is, can I notch the A pillars and place the bars mostly inside it, exiting just low enough to allow operation of the T-Top, then reenter into the plastic behind the seat. Place the main hoop inside the wall cavaties and covered by the roof liner. I know I'll have to modify the interior pieces to fit but that's the point. Would it still be a legal cage? I'm sure I'll have to have it inspected with the interior pieces off.

And I'm in a drawn-out planning phase so don't ask me for pics any time soon! HAHA Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a dude that wanted to put his cage like that and the general concensus was no way any tech is going to pass you when he cant see the cage. It would be a PITA to remove/install interior just for one night at the track and what would you do for the roll bar that would go behind the seats? IMO that would stick out like a sore thumb
Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well since the interior pieces need to by modified anyway, I'll do somwthing "Easier" for removing and replacing. I'll probably race it once a month at most. The "roll Bar" ie Main Hoop will be wide enough to fit inside the wall cavaty and sit pretty tight against the BARE roof. Has to be one piece, I know that. Then the wall pieces of plastic will cover the sides and the headliner covers the top. Only visible parts of the cage will be along the T-top edge, the door bars and the harness bar...maybe the two rear supports also.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no im talking about the piece in the middle of the main hoop that you would mount 5 point harnesses to or put the rear support mount for a racing seat. the one that makes getting into the back seats with a cage a PITA

like the one in the picture with the arrow pointing to it. I know there is a certain rule that says it has to be in a certain place
Attached Thumbnails Read NHRA rules...still a few Q's.-7-roll_bar_definitions_harness-bar1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, that the harness bar. It will be visible. I will have an enclosure in place of the back seat area to make the car look like it was a 2 seater all along. The harness bar will be between the seats and the enclosure and I'll put it at the required level. It'll pass through the wall plastic which will have a cutout to allow removal/replacement and a cap to cover the cut section.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

better off just a normal one and get it powdercoated to match then places where you put the padding you could get it wrapped in the same fabric or leather as the seats or what ever... ..

done right will pass tech no problem and look amazing..

Good luck man
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...look-cage.html
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ JUST saw that in the "Hidden roll bar" thread. I can't believe I didn't get it in my search. smh. Very similar to what I want.