Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to tune your drag car

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to tune your drag car

I'm building a 1999 T/A as a drag only car, and am curious on where I can tune it? I've got HPTuners and I've tuned street cars but this will be the first car I've tuned that is drag racing only. I can't take it on the road because it isn't registered or plated, not to mention the fact that it is FAR from street legal with a gutted interior / no seat belts / open headers. I know I can take it to the strip and tune it but the only tables I can tune for there are idle and WOT. I know the car will only really see these two throttle positions, but is it fine only tuning for them and leaving all situations in between untouched? Like I've said I've tuned for the street but never for a drag strip only application, thanks for any input.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google Search for Dynojet equipped race shops or something like that in your local area. That is always my first suggestion for those who do not have decent local access to tuners with LSx exp.

You could check with sponsors here and maybe get a mail order tune (for baseline). The biggest thing is if you need to tow the car, that kinda the point of track only. Most times you gotta be willing to tow it a decent distance.

Go to the Tuning section, you would get a ton of info, just be wary of "gurus" and look for some expert opinions. Like said Sponsors are a good source.

I know enough to say to speak to an expert and allow them to give some advice.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

So you're saying a dyno tune is my only option?? If at all possible I'd like to be able to tune the car myself, I just don't know what my options are as far as where to tune it. Think I might just have to take a day at the track on a test/tune day and just drive down the track at different throttles to hit those points?

As far as towing the car, yes the car will on a trailer to and from the track.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a drag strip? You can rent dyno time and tune it yourself. But if you don't want to drive it on the street then its either the track or dyno. And don't skip over stuff. Unless you go down the return road WOT. Don't half *** it. And why doesn't it have seatbelts? Thats kinda a necessary part for any car, race car or not.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

a five point harness is going in, its just not there yet.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would get the car to idle in your driveway and take care of the startup, that you don't need to drive it to do.... then get it on a dyno and just make sure the WOT is right. Only other thing you really need to do is make sure it won't stall coeming out of the burnout box, but I think you can check that by whacking the throttle and letting off it really quick in the driveway too.

Get the car on a dyno, tune for max hp then add a little fuel (4 to 5 %) and then pull 2 or 3 degrees of timing and go make a track hit. Log your runs, and adjust for max MPH thru the traps... that's what we've always done with the race cars, and it works out pretty well.

Cold start is always the worst part of it, since you can really only check that after letting it cool completely..... once you have that done and the WOT is right, it should eb fine. Like you said, it's really only gonna see a couple throttle positions, all or nothing LOL.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

You could go to your local track (Indy/ Muncie/ NLR/ Osceola) and make some hits.

You could also see if one of the local shops would meet you there too and look over your data.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
8 Second Club

Your best bet whould get it to idel and start done first. then go to the dyno if you now what ur doing u can be done within an hr or 2 max ...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You could trailer it to a local large parking lot, abandon air strip or the like if you really wanted play with the mid rpms. Obviously getting permition but you might be able to do it for free if not small rental fee.