Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a Vaccum Pump for my Nitrous Car? PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Do I need a Vaccum Pump for my Nitrous Car? PLEASE HELP!!!

I have been battleling random oil leak issues with my car from the valve covers and other places but the car is not burning oil the plugs are clean it just does it under high rpm and WOT for example this weekend after I did a hard burn out and it leaked and I was not able to run because it dripped. I looked like it is coming from the passanger side and it is random I think it may even leak through the oil pan gasket. Would a vaccum pump be the solution? the car runs great and strong but its just this oil leak that is driving me crazy. for example I had to make a 10 mile drive to run at the race saturday and I was driving the car hard for 10 miles with our any smoking or leaks is just weird. I just want to finally hit it with the 300 off the line but until I get this resolved I cant PLEASE HELP

my car is a

00 camaro
414 ci 6.0 engine
prc ls3 heads
l76 intake direct port and a plate kit from nitrous outlet
dimond pistons and fully forged rotating assembly
I am only running a small catch can from the passanger side and the driver side connects to the passanger side with thhe old pcv line but the only evacuation is into the catch can

powerglide tranny with 5k stall (is too big in the process of getting a smaller one)
strange rear end with 4.10 gears.

the car made 485 through the powerglide and that big converter on motor and 678 on the 200 shot with a great 11.8 afr throughout the run. Please let me know if you hacve any questions thank you
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 AM
9 Second Club

Sounds like excessive crankcase pressure to me. I'm sure a pump would help.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Leak it, B4 U spend a bunch of $$ with bandaids....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oil leaks for the VC are really rare, sounds like its pressurizing the crank case with blow bye. ya leak it
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

I am going to do a leak down test over the next few weeks.

you mentioned that the vc leaks are unusual where do you normally see the leaks?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rear main.... stock seals after lots of miles and get just get old, the stock was non revese seal, then changed the seal stlye to revese lip, and install it dry. clutch cars get alot of heat there. oil pan... timing cover, after cam swaps...
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if rings are gapped for the spray, then you might consider a VAC pump setup. and depending on oil pan used, and windage tray, crank shaft used, what style rods all have an effect on crankcase windage and can add to your problems.

sounds like the motor is strong, and makes good power on the spray. doing a leak down yeah good idea too, but a vac pump setup is good for the long run no matter what.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't vent the crank case enough with just one breather, need to have one on both sides. Vacuum pump would be a good add on, I agree with the other guys though. Leak it down first and be sure of your issue.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Vaccum Pump for my Nitrous Car? PLEASE HELP!!!