Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro

Well I did the Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on my car. Just wondered who else has done this and how you guys think this turned out? Let me know what you think.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious as to why you didn't use the stock style suspension with Afcos?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Just curious as to why you didn't use the stock style suspension with Afcos?
I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height for bigger tires and get the car to sit where I want it. I could have put the Wolf spring adjusters in the factory location but I would have had to pay someone to put those in. When I ordered the Afco's through Madman to get his valving he asked me if I would want to do the coilover conversion. I asked him if it would benefit me and he said he can get cars to 60' about the same either way. With doing the coilover setup it just bolted together and bolted in the factory shock location and didn't have to do anything so it saved me some money. I asked him about how that would be with class rules for doing coilovers on the back and he said almost all classes now allow them. I did leave the spring part on my new rear end just in case if something didn't work out or if I wanted to switch for some reason.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me more about the relocation kit.
What does it consist of.
What do you relocate.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

It looks asthough the rearend is pushing the bottom of the coilover forward, I would be betting that your spring would be rubbing on the edge of the rail.

Are you still setting your lower control arms to standard length?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've read in his other posts that if you adjust the ride height with the springs and not the shock mount then it will throw the suspension geometry off. Did you ask him about that?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Tell me more about the relocation kit.
What does it consist of.
What do you relocate.
Thanks
There's not much to the relocation. Need shocks, springs, coilover hardware (top and bottom pieces for the springs), and shock relocates (piece that was added to the lower shock mount). The shock relocates turns the shock 90 degrees so it will not bind. You pretty much weld the shock relocate piece to the lower mount spot for the rear shock like you see in my pictures. Madman was the one who recommended the shock relocates. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Originally Posted by 98 grmrpr
It looks asthough the rearend is pushing the bottom of the coilover forward, I would be betting that your spring would be rubbing on the edge of the rail.

Are you still setting your lower control arms to standard length?
It's not rubbing the edge of the rail. The shock relocates is what moved the bottom of the coilover forward. I have adjustable lower control arms so I can move them to make the wheels and tires centered in the wheel wells. Here's a couple pics of the coilovers looking up towards top of the shock. It is pretty hard to get a good picture with the car sitting on the ground and I don't have a drive on lift. There's at least a finger's width of clearance all the way around.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very interested to see how this setup works for you. Keep us posted on your track times and let us know how it feels etc.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

I'm very interested to see how this setup works for you. Keep us posted on your track times and let us know how it feels etc.
So far it seems to work really good. When I bought the coilovers from Madman he had them valved a certain way the way he likes them. When you buy them through him he can tell you what to put the shock settings at to start with. I HAVE NOT CHANGED THE SETTINGS ONCE YET! If I do a good burnout I'm pulling the front wheels off the ground about every time. The very first pass I made with the car I had a 1.477 60' and pulled both wheels for the first time. It feels so good when I'm launching! I'm foot braking and using no 2 step at the track too. I plan on going to the RPM Transmissions Track Day this Friday and the LSX Shootout. I plan on starting to adjust the coilovers this Friday and try and break into the 10's. Here's a couple pictures of my 4 best passes so far and some launch pictures from my videos. 3 of them I only ran out to the 1/8th mile cuz I didn't want to get kicked out of the LS Fest for not having a roll bar.

Here is 2 videos at the LS Fest. One from my go pro video and another from outside of the car.

On this first video I got out of it after the 1/8th mile because I was running to fast at the LS Fest for not having a roll bar or cage.

Here's a video from outside the car at the LS Fest and again I got out of the throttle after the 1/8th mile.
Attached Thumbnails Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro-img_3275-1-.jpg   Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro-img_3278-1-.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Confused as to why everyone is questioning you? People who run Afcos have been changing how the shock mounts for years. It works , and MadMan knows his ****!! I actually bought my MWC 9inch made for Afco shocks.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

how much was the kit I have the rear shocks just need the spring and the rest of the kit
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red01camaroz28
So far it seems to work really good. When I bought the coilovers from Madman he had them valved a certain way the way he likes them. When you buy them through him he can tell you what to put the shock settings at to start with. I HAVE NOT CHANGED THE SETTINGS ONCE YET! If I do a good burnout I'm pulling the front wheels off the ground about every time. The very first pass I made with the car I had a 1.477 60' and pulled both wheels for the first time. It feels so good when I'm launching! I'm foot braking and using no 2 step at the track too. I plan on going to the RPM Transmissions Track Day this Friday and the LSX Shootout. I plan on starting to adjust the coilovers this Friday and try and break into the 10's. Here's a couple pictures of my 4 best passes so far and some launch pictures from my videos. 3 of them I only ran out to the 1/8th mile cuz I didn't want to get kicked out of the LS Fest for not having a roll bar.

Here is 2 videos at the LS Fest. One from my go pro video and another from outside of the car.

On this first video I got out of it after the 1/8th mile because I was running to fast at the LS Fest for not having a roll bar or cage.
Go Pro Video

Here's a video from outside the car at the LS Fest and again I got out of the throttle after the 1/8th mile.
Possible 10.9X Pass
Looks like the suspension is working great! I'm sold lol. Keep this thread updated with the adjustments you made and how it worked for you. Thanks for taking the time to document this stuff and talk about it. Seems like everyone with this setup keeps secrets.

Originally Posted by transam69230
Confused as to why everyone is questioning you? People who run Afcos have been changing how the shock mounts for years. It works , and MadMan knows his ****!! I actually bought my MWC 9inch made for Afco shocks.
No one is questioning him, just wanting to learn from first hand experience. We all know madman is the boss when it comes to suspension.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
how much was the kit I have the rear shocks just need the spring and the rest of the kit
Springs are about $40 each, shock relocates from Madman are about $45 for the pair, and the coilover hardware is like $50-100. Just to keep in mind I'm pretty sure you can't use your factory sway bar or one like the BMR anti roll bar that bolts in the facory location on both sides. I'll get some pics so you can see what I'm saying.

Looks like the suspension is working great! I'm sold lol. Keep this thread updated with the adjustments you made and how it worked for you. Thanks for taking the time to document this stuff and talk about it. Seems like everyone with this setup keeps secrets.

No one is questioning him, just wanting to learn from first hand experience. We all know madman is the boss when it comes to suspension.
Yup I noticed there was really no threads for the coilover conversion so I decided to start one to see what people say about it. I'm suppose to be going to the track this Friday for RPM Transmission's Track Day (weather pending and I'll also be at the LSX Shootout also.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice setup. I just don't like hanging the weight of the car onto the relocation mount like that. Just seems like too much stress for the way it is mounted.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice looking rear sway.
madman afcos and tech support are the way to go, with I got mine sooner
Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't even notice the sway bar setup. That is real nice. Who makes it?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

its the TRZ setup
Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Just wanted to make a quick post. Yesterday at the RPM Transmission's Fast and Furious night at Muncie Dragway I ran a 10.98 @ 122.21 MPH with a 1.465 60'!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry if I missed it but what was the previous setup and 60' times?

Quick Reply: Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro