Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks, springs, coilovers for better ETs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks, springs, coilovers for better ETs

So basically I'm looking for some experienced advice on wiether I need to invest in shocks, springs, and/or coilovers for my 98 WS6. She is full weight and weighs in a little over 4K with me in her. 408, 4l80 no trans break, s60/3.73, ET street pros and skinnies up front, 150 shot and running 6.7s with 1.5 60fts @103. I am currently running stock shocks/springs on all 4 corners but I do have lca relocation brackets, adj lca, adj phb, adj ta, umi sway bars. She is not a DD car but not a trailer queen either. I drive her to and from the track with some joy riding here and there. At the track I don't really have any issues hooking at the moment spraying full shot off the line. I do have plans to ease up to a 300 shot but also have a progressive controller if needed.

So basically at the point that I'm at now will springs/shocks or coilovers improve my run times?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it hooks now...........it hooks now.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Haha I get that BUT as far as weight transfer and all that crazy jazz, I was looking to find out if I'm leaving ET on the table. Also keeping in mind me working towards a goal of a 300 shot. I'm just looking to get some advice from anyone that may have been at this point and has any advice on where I'm at or what to expect moving forward.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to say that a full set of adjustable shocks will instantly gain you a tenth, but your combo right now happens to work... As soon as you put more power to it there is a good chance it won't go so well.

One thing for sure is a good set of shocks is the key to a proper working suspension, especially when the surface is not so perfect. Consistency is the key and once you put more power to it you will need better parts. So... it's a matter of when, not if you end up with a good set of shocks and springs.

Give us a call and let's discuss a few more things about your car, future plans and goals. We can no doubt get you setup with the right parts the first time, best prices, and the best tech support you can get.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well food for thought. I was running decent 60's in the 1.4-1.5 range but would spin about 100ft out. I went Vikings from MWC and it was the difference between running low 10's to getting into high 9's by cutting my 60's down a couple 10ths.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dkeets
So basically I'm looking for some experienced advice on wiether I need to invest in shocks, springs, and/or coilovers for my 98 WS6. She is full weight and weighs in a little over 4K with me in her. 408, 4l80 no trans break, s60/3.73, ET street pros and skinnies up front, 150 shot and running 6.7s with 1.5 60fts @103. I am currently running stock shocks/springs on all 4 corners but I do have lca relocation brackets, adj lca, adj phb, adj ta, umi sway bars. She is not a DD car but not a trailer queen either. I drive her to and from the track with some joy riding here and there. At the track I don't really have any issues hooking at the moment spraying full shot off the line. I do have plans to ease up to a 300 shot but also have a progressive controller if needed.

So basically at the point that I'm at now will springs/shocks or coilovers improve my run times?
A good set of coil-overs and or adjustable shocks will definitely help you see better times and consistency especially when you start spraying the car a little harder. The fact that you are hooking consistently now is a little surprising with the factory shocks but I can assure you that it will get much harder to do as the car makes more power. We really like the Viking in an application like yours as they will work very well at the track but also have great street manners so you will have no issue cruising with them.

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Ok so thanks for all the replies thus far! I'm getting the consensus I bear to gain from upgrading my suspension now. Which raises anther question... But first a little more info on my thinking. To keep numbers easy I will talk in 1/4 mile times. At the moment I should be about a 10.5 and after working up to a 300 shot I'm hoping around a 9.5. Realistically this is where my street car will stay for quite some time. The end game for me would be around 8.5 after serous weight reduction.

So with all goals in mind should I go Viking or AFCO? I have no experience with either but I get the general understanding that AFCOs are better but at what ET or power level are the Vikings going to fall short to the AFCOs???
Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing most people will forget to mention is that Viking has a warrior series shock that is basically a street/strip valved shock.

If it's in your budget and you want to compare apples to apples you should look into the viking crusader series.

The warrior series top out at 400lb rebound @ 10"/per sec.
The Crusader series can go into 4 digits on rebound.

So if you know anything about reading shock dynos it's worth looking into.

Craig

Last edited by UMI Sales; 10-22-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Shocks, springs, coilovers for better ETs