Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 bogging revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default M6 bogging revisited

OK guys. I tried it again this week and I made sure that my traction control was off. I heated the Nittos til I seen smoke, let off the brake, kept my foot on the gas walking it out of the water box till the car bit and took off.

Staged, put it on the damn rev limiter this time on 2nd bulb and dumped it on last yellow. Car hooked like a sombitch and bogged after about a 10 foot leap forward. Its like the car is just too undergeared, and underpowered to dump with a dead hook. My car has stock gears but someone posted last week with 4.10's and they were bogging.

Now check this. My buddy is in Commerce at Atlanta Dragway for the Year One event and was updating me on what was going on and he said every M6 down there would bog when they tried dumping the clutch.

Now I just cant figure this **** out. Like I said before, if a sub 300hp Mustang can dump at 5 grand on 26" slicks and cut 1.7's with only a 3.73 gear then something aint right. I am beginning to wonder if its not the car. Not the engine, but the chassis. Maybe Camaro's suspension just doesnt react favorable to that kind of upset on the chassis.

I also entertained the idea of fuel being pushed away from the pickup on the pump or some kind of tilt switch that shuts the fuel pump down.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

ttt and if anyone can figure this out by all means chime in

someone posted in another thread about applying more brake when i let the clutch out than the car has brake torque and that makes perfect since, but ive seen other cars not bog this bad with alot less power
Old 10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well not to get off topic here, but Rev limit dump??? I hope U have a 12-bolt or a 9inch if your doing that, if not U can Kiss your rearend goodbye.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe you're just sidestepping the clutch instead of using a bit of finesse with it. You really didn't describe your launching technique very well.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest riding the clutch a little. I can do a 5000 clutch dump on the street and hook with a stock 10 bolt. On the track its a different story you have to ride the clutch. What kind of clutch do you have?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

stock clutch, stock rear ... at the point where i dumped it on the rev limiter i was pissed off and didnt care if something broke

i was dumping the clutch all night at 5 grand ... dump = instant release

i tried to slide the clutch slightly one time before and i never will again because it wont work in my car .... the whole damn car went up in a cloud of clutch smoke and the pedal went limp like wet noodle
Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

full force you have the most unique launching trouble i have ever heard.. but i promise i will research the dog **** outa it to try to help you out....
i love a challange
Old 10-13-2004, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Dude, Its a heavy manual tranny car. When it hooks its gonna bog unless you are makin tons of power. The trick is to be able to launch at a high RPM like 6000 and get the car movin before the RPM drops too much. If it aint boggin it aint hookin!

I cut 1.62 60' launching at 6000 RPM on slicks with a 4.33 gear. It Spins a bit and bogs. I have done a little weight reduction and have a strong Head Cam combo. Plus a 9" with a SPEC stg III.

My best 60' when it was a bolt on car (LID LTs 4.33s) was a 1.74 It would 60' better if it spun a little bit on ET Streets.

Nowadays if it spins it blows the tires off.

I am in the process of installing some QA1s on the front to transfer the weight better. Hopefully this weekend I can launch at 6800 RPM and hook the car and maybee cut a low 1.5.

Hope this helps a little
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

squintz.......
he's bogging on a rev limited clutch dump...... on DRAG RADIALS!!!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

thank you jaber for being so diligant on this

and to the fellow that said its not got enough power to NOT bog, I say I agree, but how does a sub 300hp Mustang cut 1.7's while I cut 2.0's with only slightly more gear?

I dont quite know how to respond to the Nitto drag radial comment because I have not run them before so I cant say that they should or should not take that kind of dump without going up in smoke

The car is making good power because it runs very well considering the 60' times. Go figure, on a leisure 2.01 60' I run an 8.58 @ 83.67 in the 1/8.

Again, the idea of the weight of the car being to high and the power being to low for it not to bog when dumped and hooked makes sense to me but we still have 1 problem. I have cut only 2.01 60' and I dont have a traction problem. If I couldnt get the power to stick then thats one thing.

I swear it feels EXACTLY like my ASR is on. I have left my ASR on more times than I care to remember and it lunges hard then feels like something just cut power briefly and then its back to normal. after it bogs then the car in a sense has to accelerate from almost a fast idle while the clock is ticking the whole time which is why that run goes to ****.

For the record, what is the best 60' that a stock 99 Z28 sahould be able to cut on drag radials WITHOUT sliping the clutch. That is not an option, been there. Maybe my clutch is not in perfect shape but it doesnt slip a bit.

Thanks Jaberwaki again. Your help and advice is not going unnoticed or un appreciated. I hope I dont sound like a know nothing cuz that would be unfortunate with my knowledge. I hope I can be of help to people. This issue just doesnt make sense.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
squintz.......
Im sorry, but it cracks me up evertime I see you post about the DRAG RADIALS!

I can see you sitting in front of pooter like "how in th' hell?"
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

maybe a better question would be :

whats the best 60' on a stock M6 car with drag radials and then figure out from there why mine is suffering
Old 10-13-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your jump is from the flywheel momentum of the motor,
you blow that wad and then have to get by on motor. If you
bog too low I reckon you have to let the clutch out slower,
with the throttle full open, and let your left foot drive. Keep
on trying with slower and slower clutch-out, higher and higher
minimum RPM will be the result, and maybe you'll find the best
style for results from your current combo before you need a
new clutch
Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

fly wheel momentum of the motor is right IMO

I guess Im just pissed because one of friends who happens to have a 93 Cobra that is not even making 300hp can cut 1.7's dumping at 5 grand on slicks. He has 3.73 to my 3.42 gears but that just didnt seem like enough to make up the power difference. Maybe his car being lighter, his 1st gear ratio in the 5 speed being 3.3X has something to do with it.

Thanks 2 all.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
squintz.......
And on a stock clutch and 10bolt at that!!!

Brad
Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe the stock clutch holds up to a 6k rpm dump, let alone the rear end!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

ok some things have come to my attention that might contribute to this traction from heaven bog from hell 60's from **** trouble.
1.my first question (and the one that could provide some answers) are you the first owner of this hooker ride?
2. if not have you verified that this is the first rear that the car has ever had. if not you might want to, reason i have heard of a guy blowing his rear,finding a junk yard jewel only to find out he had install a 10 bolt with a 2.73 rear that would explain some of it
3. do you have the stock flywheel? if you have swapped it for a lightweight one (or someone did b4 you) that would explain the boggin(perhaps not to the extaint you are seeing)
lastly do you have a stock tq arm? might have something to do with a seriiousely WACKED out pinion angle.

last what are your 1/4 mile trap speeds? that will give you a better indication of what kinda power you have.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the replies

im not the first owner but the car has 3.42's ... i just know thats what it is, i been doing this a long time, just not with a manual

dont know about the flywheel but im betting its stock because this car only had a Borla cat back on it ... i know that doesnt mean anything but no free mods and it has a gauge pod with a trans temp gauge in a manual ... this guy was obviously a poser

never ran in 1/4 but 83.67 mph in the 1/8 is gonna net around 105 in the 1/4 and about 13.3
Old 10-14-2004, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

105 traps are about right, your power is fine.

what psi are you running your tires at?

other then that i am going back to the drawing boards... man where do you live? i would love to take a look at it in person...
Old 10-14-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

tonight i run my tires at 20 psi but usually 15

i live in Spartanburg, SC so unless you just need to come around for something important you wont be seeing it in person

now tonight i ran like **** because of a vacum leak from doing the egr mod ... i put the o ring in the intake then put the tube back in and it must have cocked the o ring slightly because it was sucking air like a **** .... i oulled the tube back out and slid the o ring up onto the tube flush and put it back, problem solved ... reset computer now back to normal

i trapped at only 81 mph and you just thought this sombitch bogged before ...

i guess a bone stock f body is just to heavy and too undergeared and too underpowered to drop the clutch and the tires not let go at all

tonight i noticed for the 1st time my rear end is swapping sides, in other words my clucthes in the limited slip are starting to let go and only spinning the right tire when its under a load ... on my last pass it spun the right tire like a ****