Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i learn how to drag race at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do i learn how to drag race at the track?

I feel embarassed for asking, but currently my 98 LS1 camaro is nearly stock. I mean i have the LM exhuast, Edelbrock TES headers, air inductions, drag radials. Not much. But I live in NJ, and obviously race way park in Englishtown, NJ is a popular track, along with ATCO and Island Drag way. My mechanic and pizzeria store owner i know tell me i should go to the track with it just to see what it would do. I am a little intimidated. Not because of what i will run, but because i don't want to screw up somehow in public or have people at the track yelling at me for messing up somehow. I mean i have an auto, and i know its not rocket science to launch my car. Especially since i have drag radials which grip really well. But do you guys think an of the drag strips i named offer any teaching courses as far as what to do? I watch all the time. There's the staging lane where people do the burnouts. Would i do a brake stand still while pressing the accelerator or what? I men i don't race my car. It may sound stupid to you, but i don't even know some things. I am not sure if i require a helmet, a roll cage or what. If there is anyone from NJ, give me some clues here.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have the right idea. The easiest way is to find a friend with some track experience and ask him to show you the ropes and go with you that first time. Go on a test and tune night when it's not so crowded. You will find that there is really not anything difficult about it. If you are worried about doing a burnout, practice on a deserted street or parking lot until you feel comfortable doing one. You should feel comfortable racing at the track after just one trip.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
9 Second Club

Just go as often as possible and ask alot of questions like you're doing here. It takes time but you'll get it down.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

For the basics just do a search on the internet. I googled drag racing tips and hit a load of stuff.
Then just go and practice, good luck!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

What I tell first timers is park the car and stand at the fence at the starting line and just watch people run. You'll see a pattern on what people do and see how the tree works. Then once you think you got the hang of it when you make your fist pass take a passenger with you. Get a feel for the starting line. If all goes well then make a solo pass. Good luck. Drag racing is most fun when it's your first time. -Mark
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of good advice in here. start slow. dont be stupid and crush your car and yourself
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont go!!!!! Even after only one pass, you will be ADDICTED!!! Dont worry, I still get nervous every pass....take your time...take a friend down the track with you...have fun!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

here is a guide by Nicetry.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80
Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips. I mean when i go to Etown at Race way park in NJ, i see a lot of people make shifting mistakes from what i can guess. I just don't want to look like an idiot in front of a lot of people. Afterall, i am a newbie. So with an auto, when you do the burn out before lining up, do you do a standing brake peel out or do you rev it in neutral and drop it into drive?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember, laod that 10 bolt before the luanch and such, they suck at taking shock
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

That was a very informative post. I am going to have to get used to the lettting off the brake while applying the gas at the staging lane for the burn out. Now i assume that since i have the BF goodrich Drag radials and kdws on my car, they are considered regular street radials right?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 AM
JUICED96Z

Yeah make sure you load the suspension up.

I just hit the brake with my left foot then lightly start giving it gas untill I feel the car want to move. You will feel the car squat a little and then you will be good to go.

To start I would just keep your right foot on the brake and when the light turns green hit the gas. THen you can try what I said above later.

I would just go as much as you can and ask the guys in the 12's and faster.

Don't ask people that are in the 14's and higher or anything, chances are they are newbs also.

Also watch, see what the other guys are doing. Like don't drive threw the water box go around it. You would be suprised how much you learn when you just watch. You will see how far you will have to pull up to activate the stage lights and all.

People make mistakes there all the time, one time I saw a guy pull up to the tree... as in was next to it... I have also seen LS1 6 speed guys run 18's....

Just go and watch for a little while and ask around and you will be fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbanditz28
Thanks for the tips. I mean when i go to Etown at Race way park in NJ, i see a lot of people make shifting mistakes from what i can guess. I just don't want to look like an idiot in front of a lot of people. Afterall, i am a newbie. So with an auto, when you do the burn out before lining up, do you do a standing brake peel out or do you rev it in neutral and drop it into drive?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. When you get into modding you can get a stall which is a huge mod for you auto guys.