Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need a bar for racing seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do you need a bar for racing seats?

Hey guys the search is not working and I was just wondering if I am rembering things correctly since I can't seem to find my rulebook. The downfall of home renovations, you can't find crap...

Anyway, what is the rule for aftermarket lightweight seats, do they need to be braced to a bar, or if the car is slow enough and the car does not require a bar can they still be installed?

I am looking to lighten the car up a little more and try to squeeze out some low 12, maybe high 11 second passes with a bolt-on LT1, and want to know if I can mount lightweight racing seats with the stock seatbelts and still pass tech inspection.

BTW, does anyone know if you have to pay again to re-order a new rulebook if you misplaced yours?

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Madman can answer this for sure, but the basic answer is always about safety. If you crash with a high g-load, do you think the bolts holding the seat down are going to keep the seat secured? I think probably not. So the real question is, "How much is my life worth?"
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

OK I am confused at how the same 4 bolts that hold down the stock seat are going to all the sudden not be able to hold down a lighter seat? I have decent fabrication skills and know that my seat mounts would not fail, and have helped a lot of guys do seat mounts that have stood up well. Now if were talking alum. kirkeys or something like that then I see them flexing without support from a bar, but do not see the bolts being unable to hold them.

So with all respect, the answer to your question is, Yes I think it will be safe and secure, and it has nothing to do with what my life is worth...

Last edited by 1SlowFormula; 03-29-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the bolts were in quistion, you could just use a stronger bolt. A 8 dash bolt.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Lightweight seat in factory holes is ok. Once a cage is in the car the seat must be connected to the cage no more than 6" away. -Mark
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Because a light weight seat is thin aluminum in most cases. The mounts will hold just fine, but the aluminum will tear under that much force. The seat will rip right out.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Because a light weight seat is thin aluminum in most cases. The mounts will hold just fine, but the aluminum will tear under that much force. The seat will rip right out.
OK, I got what you're saying now...

I was planning on running something like the JAZ plastic buckets with 6 mounting bolt holes on the bottom, with what looks like they have metal insert strips in the plastic that would have to rip out for that to happen, but it's definitly something to think about...

I might try to mount them and try some heavy rocking in the seat, then remove and inspect for anything that I would need to worry about, and hell if I break on while testing it I would rather waste that $50 then have it break when needed...

Again thanks for the insight...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

off topic but todd, when did you start working for thunder?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't know about the rules, but if you're gonna be using harnesses with those seats, you probably should invest in a rollbar. *From what I've heard* In a rollover with the stock seats/belts, they give enough to allow some forward/backward movement if necessary. But if you are being held straight up by your harness and get in a rollover, you're gonna have anything to keep your neck from snapping. So from what I've heard, if you're gonna get harnesses, you gotta get atleast a rollbar, and the other way around.