Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We did not race on that TV show Pinks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

The performance aftermarket is a very cool scene, and it's a billlion dollar industry worldwide. Send me a pm to chat some, but also look at the classifieds since there are jobs posted there. Maybe you could see if EPP needs a guy. You can advance rapidly in this business.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Interesting.....

Then explain to all of us about the episode featuring Jason Miller and Mike Slowe........

For those of you who are not familiar with that particular episode, the two racers had bikes worth approximately $35K and $40K and neither one would agree to race for titles. The Pinks staff agreed to let them split the cost of an $11K GSXR 1000 and whoever won got the bike.

Soooooo.....anyone want to tell the difference in racing for a bike worth $11K or just putting up cash for $5500 from both participants.

I guess it would have been ok for John to have put up $5K and the other guy put up $5K if they pooled the money together and bought a $10K car to compete for.

<cough>hypocrites<cough>
thats very interesting, the video that i had up on fquick that pinks emailed and asked for it to be removed was me asking nate about the time he was on the show before he was part of it...

for the people that don't know that episode its where nate races his blue mustang vs. tony(outlaw performance) black bbc camaro... and at the end of teh show they called it a "draw"... how does that work? i've yet to see a drag race end in a draw.

when i asked him about it he didn't have much to say... i have the video and will upload it again.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

I too would like to get into the Automotive Aftermarket world of business. I actually posted a thread in the careers section, but it does not show on there. When I brought it up to the top, I was told it would be erased if I did it again. But how the hell is someone suposed to know I am looking if they can not see it on the page? Anyhow, I have sales experience and an engineering degree with lots of time wrenching too. So if you have any ideas on how to get my name out there to this group, I am all ears. Or at least see what is out there career wise.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eveveryone has to remember that the vast majority of us WERE NOT THERE! In the end the final call is up to PSJ and everyone can point fingers all they want but we were not there guys.

Really hoping Nate answers a few questions on here like, the draw, and the helmet race, and the Busa race.............
Old 08-16-2007, 01:57 PM

So whats your thoughts about the Camero going to the guys that owned the mustang? I saw the engine and talked to the boys the motor was a 351 winser you could have got lengths, used your NOS, But instead yall go home. Should have raced hell you might have won
Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Really hoping Nate answers a few questions on here like, the draw, and the helmet race, and the Busa race.............
If you want the info it is as follows on the one instance that I have personal knowledge on:

The Draw- It was at a Car and Driver weekend at IRP. Tony showed up 2 hours late to the shoot and when he got there he still had to change his oil and wire the stupid car. We started taping 3 hours late so after the 2 races that we split, it went to a third race. That race Nate won by a mile because Tony forgot to let go of the transbrake button. Tony's guys said that Nate pushed through the brakes and there was no conclusive evidence either way so we were gonna race a final pass. Unfortunately the IRP folks had to shut us down for a Concert that was getting ready to take place (Grand Funk Railroad) so it ended as a draw.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I'm guessing the main reason is because its illegal, doesn't set a good precedent for the show, and sends the wrong message.
Really now......

Even more interesting....seeing how that's what happens on Pinks All Out.

They win $1000, then they start betting the cash against each other. Doesn't matter that they won the $1000 to begin with, once it is in their possession, it is their money. No different than coming to the track with your own cash and betting it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Redhound157
So whats your thoughts about the Camero going to the guys that owned the mustang? I saw the engine and talked to the boys the motor was a 351 winser you could have got lengths, used your NOS, But instead yall go home. Should have raced hell you might have won
We never raced on the show and never did any paperwork. And the production staff removed us from the show, basically saying that the cash offer made to the Mustang folks killed us. I'm guessing the Mustang folks told Nate and the crew which is what I would have done too. I talked to Charles after we talked to the Mustang guys, he answered Nate's phone. About 30 minutes later we got the text message from Nate. We can go over this over and over, but there is no breach of contract with no contract with a group that was dismissed.

Good luck to the Mustang guys, they built a fast car. I lost a $100 bet to Charles that the Mustang would win, I picked the Mustang. I paid too. Haider lost $100 too. Charles said it had a 431ci in it.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Really now......

They win $1000, then they start betting the cash against each other. Doesn't matter that they won the $1000 to begin with, once it is in their possession, it is their money. No different than coming to the track with your own cash and betting it.
As long as you pay taxes on it, I assume you have to pay taxes on the stated value of the car you win on the titles show. Not sure how they do on the tax deal though, was always curious about that. If you won 10K on an all out show plus 7K worth of tools thats a good sized tax hit there.

I'm sure speed's lawyers have it all figured out.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Fiery Features Director

Are you guys just not reading the post or are you actually that hard headed? We have tried to explain what happened OVER AND OVER again. Were you there? Did you listed to the conversation we were having? We have tried to tell you how it went down but for some reason the lines of communication are getting crossed. You can call me and I can say it really SLOW over the phone if you would like. We didn't race the Mustang guys... we tried... we told them we would race anyone after Rich said that anyone running faster than 10.5 would automatically lose their ride. Obviously he had a different agenda because another person on the show basically told us that either car can run whatever they brought. I know that there is no way you are going to sign up to race your 10 second car against an 8 second car knowing you have no chance. So, he was wrong and we found that out later. WE NEVER SIGNED ANYTHING!!!! Let me say that again slowly so everyone can take this in... W-E D-I-D N-O-T S-I-G-N A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G. For some reason they decided they didn't want us on the show and the bringing up the money race was their excuse to get us out. Not our fault...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You are right Kevin, they would 1099 the cars, so for All Out I would assume that folks are paying taxes on the money. It's just like those home makeover shows, you pay taxes on the upgrades.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you even drive down there to back out. the mustang ran a 10.2 on motor. You could ahve got lengths and NOS basiclly anything you wanted. And another thing why would you boys go to the RV that the guys with the mustang was in and ask if they won can you buy the car back? That defeats the purpose of you even being down there. talk about keeping it fair... those guy would have done anything to make it a fair race, those guys just wanted to race unlike you. They were not afraid of losen there car, you might say ya because it was a POS but what yall don't know is they had a week and a half to build they're car from scratch, there was about 8 grand in the motor alone. Yea it blew but hey sometimes the motor will hold and sometimes it won't. A week and a half worken after hours b/c there Boss wouldn't let them work on it till after 6 PM. Now do you think you could do any better?

That Malibu never fired up the engine till the day of the race, those guys knew that Westend Motors had something but hey they were there to RACE. If you weren't willing to hand over them keys and title then you should have never tried to get on the Show. I just can't believe that yall had the gall to go to those guys and ask to buy back the car i don't see how that wouldn't have tore your pride all to hell. Sounds like to me yall were scared I don't know about the rest of you guy.
Us sponsors invested in a car to see it race ANOTHER high visted forum like this. We didn't invest money into this car to watch it race a flat black fox body mustang missing a corner light. Its plan and simple. This isn't just about the "race", John needs to look out for the site and his sponsors and its not about winning money either. That is obvious seeing how much money John invested into the car.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Im not trying to step on anyones toes, But why street race a sponsored car?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really now......

I don't see it that way, I see a big difference between your 2 scenarios. It could be construed as not to be your money, its play money. Much different than bringing a grand of your own cash. Basically, you are awarded $1k to do with as you like, so you don't loose/gamble anything.

PSJ addressed this earlier in his response. Local laws are different.

FWIW, I wasn't debating it or even stating it as my opinion or fact, just what some opinions might be.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

What do you guys think, 100k views by Sunday?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
What do you guys think, 100k views by Sunday?
What's the record?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
You are right Kevin, they would 1099 the cars, so for All Out I would assume that folks are paying taxes on the money. It's just like those home makeover shows, you pay taxes on the upgrades.
So then you have to pay taxes on the 7K worth of tools NAPA gives too, thats a good chunk of change, but death and taxes..

Its a shame it didnt work out, IMO its just a clash of goals and attitudes with both parties. Lot of people involved and that will muck it up even further. Like everyone else I would have liked to see a race, but in the end its your car and your decision. If everyone made perfect decisions prisons would be empty and the divorce rate wouldnt be 60% in this country.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM

im guessing you are one of the mustang guys. you guys said it was a 302 motor now its a 351 at the hotel it was a 431 according to the pinks guys , so what is it? we had to be 100 percent honest with our car while they told us a diffrent story everytime. Yet another reason of the bs!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
As long as you pay taxes on it, I assume you have to pay taxes on the stated value of the car you win on the titles show. Not sure how they do on the tax deal though, was always curious about that. If you won 10K on an all out show plus 7K worth of tools thats a good sized tax hit there.
Good point. That didn't even cross my mind. Yes, you would still have to pay any federal and state taxes on winnings. But, that doesn't legalize the gambling. Drug dealers are still required to pay taxes on their income also.

Originally Posted by kp
I'm sure speed's lawyers have it all figured out.
Maybe, maybe not. Thousands of lawyers are wrong everyday. That's why there is always a loser in a lawsuit.

It could easily be argued that racing for titles or cash is illegal gambling, even though the show thinks they are getting around the law by having you sign over the title to them first. Their take on it is more than likely "Well, technically you aren't gambling because you signed the car over to us and were just awarding what is now our car to the contest winner". That would mean that the show is running a contest with an entry fee (your car is the entry fee). Although it sounds legal, it is really nothing more than paramutual betting and is illegal in a lot of states (that's why you hear about all those contests on the tv and radio that state "No purchase necessary").

Now before everyone comes in and starts trying to argue "Well I have to pay an entry fee at the gate of the drag strip for a race that pays out cash, etc.", you need to remember this: You are not paying a fee to enter the contest, you are paying a fee to use the track. The track keeps that money, the contest promoters get zilp from those proceeds.

I'm sure it could be put to the test by contacting your state's Attorney General's office, but that could result in the AG deciding to press charges against the shows producers, etc. And before someone starts to quip "Well if that was so, why hasn't the AG done anything about it yet?" Simple. The odds are really good that the state AG has never even heard about Pinks. Can't prosecute a crime you don't know is going on.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Must we keep arguing?

And this thread is the record, I've never seen a thread in the history of the board have this many views in less than a week. This thread has the equivalent of four months worth of views.

Quick Reply: We did not race on that TV show Pinks