Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ex angle is one of those things that makes me think "what can it hurt"? The possibility of helping seems reasonable. Years ago the single side exit seemed to push the car over a bit even though we always angled it back at a steep angle. In land speed racing, I replaced a set of headers that exited straight out the side with a set that angled back on one car that seemed to help. Not sure if it was ex flow or the stream of air coming out causing the frontal area to "seem" bigger. The owner of the car was convinced the ex stream was hurting his frontal area. The change caused the car to go from 246 to 252mph with the same engine.

Kurt
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
uh oh
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Any hints????
Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the up turned exhaust does help. We don't care for the look of it, but it works, it stays!

It does change the effective nose percentage (weight bias). Enough that they had to move all the extra weight to the rear of the car.

Also the car actually weighted about 50 lbs lighter with the big block on Alcohol then the Small block on gas and Intercoooler.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry for the Double post!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd never believed that it actually impacted anything.

Makes sense that the car's lighter, all the intercooler stuff weigh's a ton, plus the alcohol makes more power anyway.... no wonder it's so fast.

Pretty much makes the car an outlaw 10.5 car at this point but with a radial tire, but that's what it takes to compete in open drag radial.... class is out of control
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan / Wolfe Race Craft
Yes the up turned exhaust does help. We don't care for the look of it, but it works, it stays!

It does change the effective nose percentage (weight bias). Enough that they had to move all the extra weight to the rear of the car.

Also the car actually weighted about 50 lbs lighter with the big block on Alcohol then the Small block on gas and Intercoooler.
Dan,
Thanks for all the help you've given over the last couple years. The orange car hauls the mail for sure. I knew the exhaust worked, in my old age I'm not going to debate this stuff, you can either get on board or be left behind and we aint getting left. Does the orange car still use the "standard" setup for weight distribution we spoke about a while ago? The travel looked to be inbetween the starting point and no mans land but the car worked for sure.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,
Thanks for all the help you've given over the last couple years. The orange car hauls the mail for sure. I knew the exhaust worked, in my old age I'm not going to debate this stuff, you can either get on board or be left behind and we aint getting left. Does the orange car still use the "standard" setup for weight distribution we spoke about a while ago? The travel looked to be inbetween the starting point and no mans land but the car worked for sure.
old age my ***-you're still a kid
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
old age my ***-you're still a kid
Even though I am young at heart....I am definitely changing as I get older.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd never believed that it actually impacted anything.

Makes sense that the car's lighter, all the intercooler stuff weigh's a ton, plus the alcohol makes more power anyway.... no wonder it's so fast.

Pretty much makes the car an outlaw 10.5 car at this point but with a radial tire, but that's what it takes to compete in open drag radial.... class is out of control
Well it does work. Believe what you want.

The top drag radial cars & Limited Street cars have been using the same powerplants for years as the outlaw 10.5 guys. Things are just starting to come together.

When taking the car apart and getting it ready for the big block we actually found why the small block never ran as good as it should. We had a crank trigger wire that was breaking due to a zip tie rubbing. That caused it to miss and not make the power it should have. We always new there was a problem, just never found it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

no kidding... 1 zip tie's sometimes all it takes... smallest 5 cent part can slow down the best of cars if it gets the chance.

Regardless wether the exhaust is point backwards, forwards, sideways whatever, car runs like a ****, should be interesting to see what it's really capable of once you get it really dialed in.

Even more interesting, will be what everyone does to try to catch up

It's a sick car Dan, always has been.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
FormerVendor

David and Grant do feel there is more in it. They just didn't have much time with it, and didn't want to get to crazy and loose the race.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to finding little tricks to make these cars go faster (like aiming the exhaust upwards), I'm surprised that I can't recall anyone ever talking about aerodynamics. People are running door cars deep into the sevens and beyond in bodies that were never designed to go anywhere near as fast as these cars are trapping. The only changes I've ever seen are the little flat wing in the back, which I think is required at a certain ET anyways (correct me if I'm wrong). The aerodynamic drag on these cars has to be enormous. I bet you could see real gains doing things like covering the entire underside of the car with one flat sheet, covering up any unnecessary grill openings, and if you didn't mind altering the look of the car, removing mirrors and enclosing the rear wheels. Does anyone actually try stuff like this?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=Formula413;12990133]When it comes to finding little tricks to make these cars go faster (like aiming the exhaust upwards), I'm surprised that I can't recall anyone ever talking about aerodynamics. People are running door cars deep into the sevens and beyond in bodies that were never designed to go anywhere near as fast as these cars are trapping. The only changes I've ever seen are the little flat wing in the back, which I think is required at a certain ET anyways (correct me if I'm wrong). The aerodynamic drag on these cars has to be enormous. I bet you could see real gains doing things like covering the entire underside of the car with one flat sheet, covering up any unnecessary grill openings, and if you didn't mind altering the look of the car, removing mirrors and enclosing the rear wheels. Does anyone actually try stuff like this?[/QUOTE

Rules would not allow most of what you described. Plus, i don't think that would look so good.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dan / Wolfe Race Craft

so it actually helps produce double digit numbers in terms of downforce? thats impressive.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

there's been no pictures since 2/21...WTF...have you been taking a vacation or something???
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
there's been no pictures since 2/21...WTF...have you been taking a vacation or something???
There has been plenty of work just no pics.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

oh come on
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

I dont care about secrets, I just wanna see more cool ****!

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"