Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
hes trying to take weight OFF the nose... not add double..lol.
Instead of shedding weight, add power. That gets the power to weight ratio back on par
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

wait, 2 different sized turbos???
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We've already got 130# off the nose. We're trying to make more power faster.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about time someone considered sequential turbos for an outlaw car
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Whatever you do, don't do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ziu9Xa-Mc
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Man, that was really hard to watch in person. We were pitted around the 330' mark, and I watched this accident from the fence. It really didnt look like something that anyone could survive from. Ill tell you what though, that car was destroyed but the drivers compartment held up great. SkinnyKid builds a badass chassis.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by defbob
about time someone considered sequential turbos for an outlaw car
thats going to be a lot of piping..

i have to ask.. at what point does making power get over powered by KISS? the obvious concern is that the more complicated you go, the more prone to failure something is. its just a fact of life. i have no doubt that the witch doctor shawn can get it to work well enough but with all that complexity it almost seems like a headache in the making.

if they did a sequential turbo setup, it would be close to negating all that weight savings. a compound turbo would hurt weight less and both would probably make for a better/flatter power curve. at the same time you still have a bit of a complexity issue but no where near that of the sequential setup.

the setup before the engine said no more seemed like it was going to be a monster and wouldve gone rounds reliably (power wise).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, gotta wait and see if they're doing sequential or compound, either way, it'll fly! Unless they already mentioned which way they're going?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twin turbo's into a top mount blower and 4 wheel drive...

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Twin turbo's into a top mount blower and 4 wheel drive...
Funnily enough I know someone that had that on a 4 litre V6. The engine bay was jokingly referred to as a plumber's nightmare as there were pipes all over the place.

In a different league though, that can ran mid elevens and is now on the way to a single turbo V8.

James
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
7 Second Club

We made the decision on the turbos for next year but everyone will have to wait to hear what we're doing but like usual.... its the road less traveled. As far as updates...

- Joe from Sonny Bryant called and wanted to know what front bolt and flex plate bolts we wanted on the crank, sounds like its getting closer. Once the crank gets here we can test a couple rod styles to see which one works the best. We're using GRP aluminum rods again this time around and JE Pistons

- We have a bunch of stuff coming from Jesel, RHS tall deck compatible belt drive & Tie bar style lifters. We're going to figure out how to make my distributor work.

- The heads are getting massaged up in Michigan, unfortinuately they are not a CNC and send kinda deal. We had a couple pieces upgraded in the heads that aren't standard but things we feel are necessary to live at this power level. Once the heads arrive we need to make a mold of the combustion chamber so we can get JE pistons to make some slugs that work with the Mozez heads.

- Rough cam specs are done, last year our cam was in the 260s with under 700 lift, this year its going to be a touch bigger on duration and lift. I think the lift is pretty conserative in the .800s.

- The chassis is done with the exception of more weight reduction pending some rule amendments. Game plan is the car was 3030 last year, the new bullet will be #125 lighter than the old motor putting us right at 2900.

- If the rules come out with more weight breaks I'm going to replace the trunk lid with a fiberglass unit, should be very easy to lose 65# for about 300 bucks.

- The rear shocks are getting sent back to Madman to update the valving to work better with our combination. Basically we just want a finer adjustment where we know works.

- We're working with madman on a set of front struts to eliminate the single adjustable ones, just trying to decide on which of the two options we want to go with

- First part of the year should be interesting, We're going to heavily focus on 60' and 330' numbers before we put any power to the car. limit the boost to 20# and mainly concentrate on power management and suspension is my goal. I'd love to see 60's in the teens with 4.70s @ 152-154ish with the conserative tuneup. This new combination should do 175-180mph to the 1/8 mile at the right weight.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jsmcortina
Funnily enough I know someone that had that on a 4 litre V6. The engine bay was jokingly referred to as a plumber's nightmare as there were pipes all over the place.

In a different league though, that can ran mid elevens and is now on the way to a single turbo V8.

James
funnily is a word? twin charging isnt all that uncommon. neat really.
Originally Posted by Phil99vette
We made the decision on the turbos for next year but everyone will have to wait to hear what we're doing but like usual.... its the road less traveled. As far as updates...

- Joe from Sonny Bryant called and wanted to know what front bolt and flex plate bolts we wanted on the crank, sounds like its getting closer. Once the crank gets here we can test a couple rod styles to see which one works the best. We're using GRP aluminum rods again this time around and JE Pistons

- We have a bunch of stuff coming from Jesel, RHS tall deck compatible belt drive & Tie bar style lifters. We're going to figure out how to make my distributor work.

- The heads are getting massaged up in Michigan, unfortinuately they are not a CNC and send kinda deal. We had a couple pieces upgraded in the heads that aren't standard but things we feel are necessary to live at this power level. Once the heads arrive we need to make a mold of the combustion chamber so we can get JE pistons to make some slugs that work with the Mozez heads.

- Rough cam specs are done, last year our cam was in the 260s with under 700 lift, this year its going to be a touch bigger on duration and lift. I think the lift is pretty conserative in the .800s.

- The chassis is done with the exception of more weight reduction pending some rule amendments. Game plan is the car was 3030 last year, the new bullet will be #125 lighter than the old motor putting us right at 2900.

- If the rules come out with more weight breaks I'm going to replace the trunk lid with a fiberglass unit, should be very easy to lose 65# for about 300 bucks.

- The rear shocks are getting sent back to Madman to update the valving to work better with our combination. Basically we just want a finer adjustment where we know works.

- We're working with madman on a set of front struts to eliminate the single adjustable ones, just trying to decide on which of the two options we want to go with

- First part of the year should be interesting, We're going to heavily focus on 60' and 330' numbers before we put any power to the car. limit the boost to 20# and mainly concentrate on power management and suspension is my goal. I'd love to see 60's in the teens with 4.70s @ 152-154ish with the conserative tuneup. This new combination should do 175-180mph to the 1/8 mile at the right weight.
.800 lift? you trying to mimic a pro stock motor? the mosez heads are getting close to what they look like then the big cam and the compression you [I]may[I] be running. the hulk meets its bigger roid ragey brother. i cant wait to see what you and the witch doctor come up with.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Only .800 lift? .... sissy ! I guess thats big for a turbo car?

Good luck with the new bullet.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM
7 Second Club

when we finally got our racepak installed all we did for a couple weeks was make 60' and 330' hits until we got it where we know we needed to be to compete locally.... it made/makes a huge difference... the more you can put down in the first 100' the more you can put down the next 100' and so on.... i'm sure you know, its just sometimes hard and frustrating to not let it eat all the way to the finish line.....if nothing else we dont have to pack our chute every time and takes less time to cool down

how long were you ramping your boost in this year at the track?
by about 250' it was 100% for us so it didnt really make since to ever test past the 330'
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
when we finally got our racepak installed all we did for a couple weeks was make 60' and 330' hits until we got it where we know we needed to be to compete locally.... it made/makes a huge difference... the more you can put down in the first 100' the more you can put down the next 100' and so on.... i'm sure you know, its just sometimes hard and frustrating to not let it eat all the way to the finish line.....if nothing else we dont have to pack our chute every time and takes less time to cool down

by about 250' it was 100% for us so it didnt really make since to ever test past the 330'
If we dont have it all in by 100' theres no point in turning it on, it dont do **** except add MPH.
We run it thru the 1/8th so we can get a good plug reading.

Cant wait to change over to a boosted set up.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ty_ty13

Pretty sure he is all in by 1.2-1.5 seconds
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
7 Second Club

The boost in static somewhere in the mid to late 2 second range.j We dont really look to see when all the boost is in because its all relative. We use 25# as a fixed point of reference and record that time. After 25# the boost is on the final stage and will come in as fast as possible. We rely on wheel speed and ramp the boost according to how fast the car is going so the faster we get the wheel speed up the faster the boost can come in.

The cam is .925 on the intake and .879 on the exhaust. Its small by pro-stock standards but they aren't forcefed.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Pretty sure he is all in by 1.2-1.5 seconds
If we were all in by 1.2 to 1.5 seconds you'd see sparks fly.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

If we were all in by 1.2 to 1.5 seconds you'd see sparks fly.
I was gonna say, if you can have 2,000hp in by 1.2 your a BAD **** !!!

We have all our little hp in by then though.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the lobby for the weight break on small singles seem to be going anywhere Phil?

Kurt

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"