Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:48 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
and people thought having kids were stressful
Kids are easy, you are for the most part in control of everything. Shawn is doing the best he can, having to deal with 30 some different parts suppliers is painful at times.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painful? This thread is painful...now.

The worst part of it is that I imagine all of the trouble you guys are going through is fairly par for the course when you're trying to blaze a new trail and go to a higher level than has been done in the past. To me that means that there must be hundreds of guys across the country going through this type of suffering at any given time. Aaaaaargh...

I know there must be a ton of lurkers like me out here trying to will you guys some good luck with respect to getting your parts supplied correctly and whatnot so we can all get back to happily reading of your records and victories!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Painful? This thread is painful...now.

The worst part of it is that I imagine all of the trouble you guys are going through is fairly par for the course when you're trying to blaze a new trail and go to a higher level than has been done in the past. To me that means that there must be hundreds of guys across the country going through this type of suffering at any given time. Aaaaaargh...

I know there must be a ton of lurkers like me out here trying to will you guys some good luck with respect to getting your parts supplied correctly and whatnot so we can all get back to happily reading of your records and victories!
yeah, right now the ls market is one of the toughest markets to get parts for-the new hemi is probably the only one worse. The typical 600-700 hp ls engines are really easy and give us relatively no issues. They go through rather quickly. The higher end the engine-the worse it gets. Just not that many manfs making high end parts for these as of yet and the ones that do are swamped. If we were build sbc's or bbc's this would be no issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Kids are easy, you are for the most part in control of everything. Shawn is doing the best he can, having to deal with 30 some different parts suppliers is painful at times.
with kids you have... velcro... and duct tape..

shawn, you would think those companies would... ramp up.. production a smidge if ttheyre so swamped..
Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 AM
7 Second Club

shawn, you would think those companies would... ramp up.. production a smidge if ttheyre so swamped..
You would think that but the parts we're ordering are very low volume in comparison to your standard run of the mill 500-700hp components. I'm cool with waiting, just give me a real timeframe. Dont say 12 weeks if its going to be 6 months.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

You would think that but the parts we're ordering are very low volume in comparison to your standard run of the mill 500-700hp components. I'm cool with waiting, just give me a real timeframe. Dont say 12 weeks if its going to be 6 months.
i know. just seems to make sense to have some sort of stock to help ward off issues like this.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
FormerVendor

ramping up production isn't nearly easy as it sounds. if everone is at 100%, you need a add people(which can be very difficult to find the right people) and you have to add machinery(which can cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) so it's really difficult to do.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
If we were build sbc's or bbc's this would be no issue.
Have you tried geting stuff from Profiler? I've heard wait times in excess of 6 months.... even Reher Morrison is stuck waiting on them at times, and they are one of the biggest dealers.

I know that the ls stuff is worse.. but this entire performance industry seems to be substantially worse with this stuff then anything else, because it's a "hobby/sport".

Medical equipment/supplier industry that I work in, run your business like this, and you'll find yourself out of business..... FAST
Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Have you tried geting stuff from Profiler? I've heard wait times in excess of 6 months.... even Reher Morrison is stuck waiting on them at times, and they are one of the biggest dealers.

I know that the ls stuff is worse.. but this entire performance industry seems to be substantially worse with this stuff then anything else, because it's a "hobby/sport".

Medical equipment/supplier industry that I work in, run your business like this, and you'll find yourself out of business..... FAST
the big difference there is you're waiting by choice. There are 20 other companies that offer equivalent heads for bbc's,if you don't want to wait you can go elsewhere. Now if you want a set of canted valve ls heads-there are only 2 choices-big difference.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Race your car!

Understood, and you are 100% correct. Just saying, that there are parts in the BBC/SBC world that, you get stuck waiting on as well, if that's what you want.

I'm really surprised that CFE hasn't already come out with a billet ls head.... I'd be very surprised if they're not working on one at this time.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Profiler has a decent ls head. I have a set. I agree they need to come out with a 6 bolt billet piece though. And yes, the wait is horrible.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Race your car!

I'm not talking ls heads from profiler. I am, talking about CFE, and that they've got some great billet heads out for other engine platforms... and would be very surprised if they weren't working on an ls billet head.

There's getting to be a place in the market for them..... if they could have produced Phil a set of billet heads for a reasonable price in say a month or so, and they had the capability of the mozez head..... Phil/Shawn tell me that it wouldn't have been something you would have considered.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

i understand you were talking about cfe. Profiler was working on a set of heads for a 6 bolt set up i heard, so id say profiler will have a 6 bolt ls head, that no one can get, before cfe/bmf. but the BMF head will be better.

Last edited by rat496boy; 04-24-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'm not talking ls heads from profiler. I am, talking about CFE, and that they've got some great billet heads out for other engine platforms... and would be very surprised if they weren't working on an ls billet head.

There's getting to be a place in the market for them..... if they could have produced Phil a set of billet heads for a reasonable price in say a month or so, and they had the capability of the mozez head..... Phil/Shawn tell me that it wouldn't have been something you would have considered.
Knowning what I know now, I probably would have gone a different direction with the build. But its water under the bridge now.

Hopefully we'll have the car up and running by July/August. Everytime we turn around there is another delay that is out of our control. I've probably got a good 2-3 weeks of work that needs to happen here but without a motor or measurements I am at a standstill.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Knowning what I know now, I probably would have gone a different direction with the build. But its water under the bridge now.

Hopefully we'll have the car up and running by July/August. Everytime we turn around there is another delay that is out of our control. I've probably got a good 2-3 weeks of work that needs to happen here but without a motor or measurements I am at a standstill.
well get a cattle prod and make it happen
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
7 Second Club

well get a cattle prod and make it happen
Thats somewhat easy to say but after the time, financial hurdles and setbacks associated with this project there just comes a time that your mentally defeated. Well, I'm there.

Shawn has been doing everything he can to get the motor done but the stars are not aligning fast enough when it comes to getting the **** we need to put it together. I had a goal of running the entire season at MIR but with the 1st race on the books, the 2nd race in 2 weeks and the 3rd race not looking good either... Its just disappointing that some of the major parts could have had a shorter lead time.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I read and understand all the info about companies building these products and how there really just isnt much there but YOU WOULD THINK that since everyone knows April is the start of the racing season, that these companies would have their **** together before then so they can accommodate those customers before the season starts. Just seems like good marketing/production skills if you ask me.
Now you have me wondering about that "knowing what I know now part..." hmm...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
yeah I read and understand all the info about companies building these products and how there really just isnt much there but YOU WOULD THINK that since everyone knows April is the start of the racing season, that these companies would have their **** together before then so they can accommodate those customers before the season starts. Just seems like good marketing/production skills if you ask me.
Now you have me wondering about that "knowing what I know now part..." hmm...
I probably would have stayed with LS7 heads....
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Race your car!

Edlebrock's canted valve castings.. unless you know something about them that makes it a bad idea... I'd have taken that route about 3 months ago.

At the rate it's going the BMF, and others that are working on stuff will likly be done as well...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats somewhat easy to say but after the time, financial hurdles and setbacks associated with this project there just comes a time that your mentally defeated. Well, I'm there.

Shawn has been doing everything he can to get the motor done but the stars are not aligning fast enough when it comes to getting the **** we need to put it together. I had a goal of running the entire season at MIR but with the 1st race on the books, the 2nd race in 2 weeks and the 3rd race not looking good either... Its just disappointing that some of the major parts could have had a shorter lead time.
i knw phil. it just seems wrong that a company can basically make you wait half a year knowing you are trying to win a points race yet still "2 weeks" "2 weeks" "2 weeks" and THEN there are people getting them before you because of a name.

i mean hell, make a product, make it well, make ENOUGH of them, understate and over deliver. its like every company talks up their product, overstates when it will be ready, and then under delivers (doesnt make enough of them).

even for a high end motor, those heads are in high demand as are the other parts apparently. it would make sense if it were some product never before made, but a crank for a 454 or a set of heads that are like diamonds to women? come on. if someone could bust in and simply do that for "top shelf" parts theyd take over. take the most popular combinations then have a few variations that are outside the box. have cnc programs ready to go for things that arent stocked because of rarity. hold onto each piston design minus the names associated with them and possibly put a set or 2 away just in case among a few other things. ANYTHING to cut down on this stuff. well im just gonna end my rant.. i know theres a choice but when it comes to so much money, you should get a great product and better service in a reasonable amount of time.

your next purchase should be a cnc center so you and the mad scientist over there can just do it your damn selves and probably get it quicker.

btw... wasnt this supposed to be a 7 second street car anyways?

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"