Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

phil i understand you are upset, but i think you are yelling at the wrong people and coming off as someone you are not. just my .02. i have no opinion on the motor and will never push anything to the level you guys are. my hats off for the desire and the ability to do what you are doing. But you are coming off as pretty rude. again, just my .02

good luck. i would love to see that car go rounds in outlaw radial!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gator I totally disagree with you on this one. People are trying to get free advice from Phil on future LSX engine builds, and then telling him he is full of **** when he hints at his problems/fixes.

When someone whether it is a shop or individual spents thousands of dollars in money and hundreds of hours in time to figure something out, they have the right be quiet on thier findings. If you want to know the secrets, you should expect to pay these individuals for their advice, much like a consulant...
Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Phil tell us how you really feel. lol
Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Actually thinking about it, you "self-proclaimed-experts" will never build a car of this caliber so its a moot point. Do your keyboard racing elsewhere.

WOW, and I thought I had seen some big ego's over the years......

I never bashed anyones abbilities, simply said when you try and reach the limits or something or push them then things break and that just because someone or people say something will work does not allways mean it will.

I do admire what you are trying to do but it seems that you think you can reach those goals and not break stuff.

I mean man, a freind of mine blew a oil pump seal on his built supra motor and had brass up in the head. Trashed everything including the aftermarket turbo.
You don't want to know how much money he lost but he knows its racing and thats what happens.

And for the record but I have pretty much ZERO time on LS stuff, I may never, I will stick with my BBC stuff and not worry to much about breaking stuff.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
7 Second Club

he's pissed at the guys who think they know everything yet never even built a motor to make 800hp....

you'll always have these kinds of people and they are usually the people who build slow cars.....

they know everything yet can get there car to run a measly 5.80 in the 8th....

i say charge people for any more info... no other engine builders are on here giving away free advice to make engines live.... i say keep going with the lsx motor and try and make some money off your research and development.

Tyler
Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
phil i understand you are upset, but i think you are yelling at the wrong people and coming off as someone you are not. just my .02. i have no opinion on the motor and will never push anything to the level you guys are. my hats off for the desire and the ability to do what you are doing. But you are coming off as pretty rude. again, just my .02

good luck. i would love to see that car go rounds in outlaw radial!

I am not upset at all. Honestly I don't have time to argue points on the motor. There is a problem. End of story.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by brobards
Gator I totally disagree with you on this one. People are trying to get free advice from Phil on future LSX engine builds, and then telling him he is full of **** when he hints at his problems/fixes.

When someone whether it is a shop or individual spents thousands of dollars in money and hundreds of hours in time to figure something out, they have the right be quiet on thier findings. If you want to know the secrets, you should expect to pay these individuals for their advice, much like a consulant...
Amen brotha.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
WOW, and I thought I had seen some big ego's over the years......

I never bashed anyones abbilities, simply said when you try and reach the limits or something or push them then things break and that just because someone or people say something will work does not allways mean it will.

I do admire what you are trying to do but it seems that you think you can reach those goals and not break stuff.

I mean man, a freind of mine blew a oil pump seal on his built supra motor and had brass up in the head. Trashed everything including the aftermarket turbo.
You don't want to know how much money he lost but he knows its racing and thats what happens.

And for the record but I have pretty much ZERO time on LS stuff, I may never, I will stick with my BBC stuff and not worry to much about breaking stuff.
I don't have a big ego and if you ask anyone that knows me they will tell you what kind of person I am, **** ask Shawn. Bottom line is there are handful of LS1 powered cars that are making 1600+hp. I have reports on 5-7 LSx powered cars are making 1600+hp and AFAIK all have had problems reguardless of what the crews tell you.

The one setup that I know has survived has a couple of components that are not available on the retail market but when you get a block machined its part of the package. We are taking that package and adding a couple things to allow the setup to live @ high RPM.

My stance on the whole deal..... I am not here to debate IF the block has a problem. We are working on a fix that will be available through two people.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brobards

i think you missed my point. Phil is coming off sounding like he looks down on anyone that doesnt run a 7.5 @ 190. Well you know what? Pro Stock guys would laugh at him, Fuel guys, even worse. I just think its in poor taste for someone to come on a website devoted to mostly street cars racing on the track and stick their nose up b/c they have run some 7 second passes in a radial outlaw car. if someone talked like this on a Pro-Mod board, someone would tell him off.

As for Phil having to explain himself, bullshit i say. He has no need or requirement to explain anything. as far as i am concerned its his money and money buys speed. It might say GMPP LSX on the block but IMO once i pay for a product it becomes "mine." If Phil doesnt want to hear people telling him he is wrong, he shouldnt post about his problems or should just ignore it.

So that is my point. I asked Phil to tone it down but if he doesnt, thats his choice. remember, everyone is correct on the internet.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok i just noticed phil and i replied at the same time! lol
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
he's pissed at the guys who think they know everything yet never even built a motor to make 800hp....

you'll always have these kinds of people and they are usually the people who build slow cars.....

i say charge people for any more info... no other engine builders are on here giving away free advice to make engines live.... i say keep going with the lsx motor and try and make some money off your research and development.

Tyler
Tyler,
I can say I am pissed but really just tired of listening to people that have no real world experience. They talk to one or two people and it makes them an expert. I can tell you this I don't consider myself an expert on the LS1 but having built a 1800-200hp LSx and seeing what happens first hand, I've got a headstart. I have created some partnerships with some of the leaders in the R & D side of the LS1 motors that I look to as the "Experts".

Whats funny is you will never see them on a board and they have a gameplan on how to fix the issue. When I talked to one of my consultants he said, check A,B,C,D. I had already seen A,B,C. Sure enough we went back and found D.

Parts should be arriving soon!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i think you missed my point. Phil is coming off sounding like he looks down on anyone that doesnt run a 7.5 @ 190. Well you know what? Pro Stock guys would laugh at him, Fuel guys, even worse. I just think its in poor taste for someone to come on a website devoted to mostly street cars racing on the track and stick their nose up b/c they have run some 7 second passes in a radial outlaw car. if someone talked like this on a Pro-Mod board, someone would tell him off.
I wasn't trying to come off better than anyone. You know I am going to take advice from guys have have been there and have experienced this already. How can I listen to a guy that has never built and LSx.

I'm not taking anything away from the guys that make 800-1200hp, its a great accomplishment but I can't learn anything from their engine program if they don't have something thats out of the ordinary. Joe from 6 speeds inc is a great guy to talk to, sure he doesn't make 2500hp but he twists that LSx to almost 10,000rpms. You can learn something from his engine program.

How can I take advice from someone who has not put their motors through the same punishment? Again, not saying I am on another level but you can only learn from guys that are making more power or using more RPMs.

Again once the engine program is finished the parts will be available.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Damn Phil tell us how you really feel. lol
Hey are you going to capitol for the sunday race? I'll be up there.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Hey are you going to capitol for the sunday race? I'll be up there.
EFA race? ya I'll be there....
Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 AM
FormerVendor

I hate to get involved and say much of anything at this point. Phil, I wish you alot of luck and minimal financial expense sorting out the problems, you're sharing of technical info on your buildup has been invaluable to many.

Question:

Have you looked or discussed the use of a warhawk alum block or a dart billet block as an alternative to the LSx block or do you believe they have the same weakness/flaws??
Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ty_ty13

Tyler
If I remember right you are the one that has like 200 pounds hanging off the back of your car so it will hook..............

I don't have a big ego and if you ask anyone that knows me they will tell you what kind of person I am, **** ask Shawn. Bottom line is there are handful of LS1 powered cars that are making 1600+hp. I have reports on 5-7 LSx powered cars are making 1600+hp and AFAIK all have had problems reguardless of what the crews tell you.

The one setup that I know has survived has a couple of components that are not available on the retail market but when you get a block machined its part of the package. We are taking that package and adding a couple things to allow the setup to live @ high RPM.

My stance on the whole deal..... I am not here to debate IF the block has a problem. We are working on a fix that will be available through two people.

And I said I am sure you are a nice guy, like others said the one post kinda made you look like an ego crazed dick, I mean that respectfully.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z

And I said I am sure you are a nice guy, like others said the one post kinda made you look like an ego crazed dick, I mean that respectfully.

Phil is a great person, theres no way way of calling someone a dick without offending them! Respectfully or not it just shouldn't be said. He's just one person and he can't please everybody at his personal expense just to make some happy.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

<snip>
phil, i hope you get everything figured out. its a shame that so much more has to be done to meet the claims made for that block. good luck
Old 09-26-2008, 05:55 PM
7 Second Club

Thanks guys, I'll try and post as much progress as I can but its on to the next project. We just broke ground on my home. Basement is dug, footers are poured, walls will be done monday than we get to work framing.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'll try and post as much progress as I can but its on to the next project. We just broke ground on my home. Basement is dug, footers are poured, walls will be done monday than we get to work framing.
Congrats Phil. Why in the world would you want to move from your current home? I'd give my right arm for that house?

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"