Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phil99vette
i tell ya what, why don't you you go and finish your 6 second drag radial/10.5w, we'll finish this conversation when your car is done.

lmfao !!!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I tell ya what, why don't you you go and finish your 6 second drag radial/10.5w, we'll finish this conversation when your car is done.

This coming from a cry baby who keeps crying all over the net about his motor not holding then crying because some have more money then him and one runs 6's.

In this very thread you said most of the people in this thread would never build a calliber of car that you have.... Well you don't see the top DR guys making half the comments you make and most of their motors are holding togtether with A TON more power.

Your ego is to big to even realize I was agreeing with most of what you said.

Get your motor to hold together and THEN we will finish this conversation.

With your tallented comment you said between the lines that DH is not tallented because he has money. Lets compare all the national events you have won compared the the ones he has won. He also tunes his cars himself with input from others, you have a crew chief.

I guess with your ego and "killer" car in your mind its your way or the highway.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the reply I'll respond in your quote.

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
This coming from a cry baby who keeps crying
all over the net about his motor not holding then crying because some have more money then him and one runs 6's.
To make things clear, I ain't crying about the LSx block not handling the abuse. **** happens, I've got new parts that have been proven to work with the LSx block. When did I ever give two ***** or cry when someone went bottom 7s throwing a bunch of money at it?

In this very thread you said most of the people in this thread would never build a calliber of car that you have.... Well you don't see the top DR guys making half the comments you make and most of their motors are holding togtether with A TON more power.
Your 100% correct. The top drag radial guys have $40k motors. I have an 11k LSx, considering I have less in my total car budget than 90% of the top drag radial ENGINES ALONE its a tough comparison. I built what I thought would be reliable and I missed the combo. I am not afraid to admit it.

So it sounds like Turbo engines kicking rods @ 1000' and dropping valves is "holding together"? Last time I checked EVERY SUB TURBOCHARGED 7.50 car has gone through at least 1 motor this year, many are on 2 and 3. I assume you consider that holding together? If you want to go down the list I'll be more than happy. Better yet, name one turbo drag radial guy that has not had a motor problem this year.

Your ego is to big to even realize I was agreeing with most of what you said.

Get your motor to hold together and THEN we will finish this conversation.
I'm sorry I thought you were done already?

With your tallented comment you said between the lines that DH is not tallented because he has money. Lets compare all the national events you have won compared the the ones he has won. He also tunes his cars himself with input from others, you have a crew chief.
Never said that, sorry. I'm not going to hide how I feel, I have more respect for people that build, wrench and tune their combos. ANYONE can walk into a chassis shop, drop an check and buy 6 second ride. IMO it WILL BE a bigger accomplishment when someone goes 6s with a small block, not taking anything away but it is a 632 with twin 91s. Its a Pro-mod motor in a drag radial car, his engine probably makes double the power of 90% of the nitrous guys.

I guess with your ego and "killer" car in your mind its your way or the highway.
Confidence is often mistaken for ego, I'm confident that we can run the numbers and be competitive on a budget.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

I really doubt they are on NEW motors, breaking parts yes but not blowing motors to peices.

11k and you ran 7.5's?

Respectfully even I would have told you that your were going to break. People going that fast are spending at least wice that on motors.

Now, if you run the times and get it to hold with half the money then big props to you. No sarcasm there either.

Yes I also respect people more who build their own cars from the ground up and run the number but people like me would rather pay a guy who really knows how to weld to weld a car up because its my life and I would not trust my welding. If I did I would do it and maybe one day I will.

Im sure you will run the numbers and on a budget and I hope you do. I just feel that your confidence may also be your ego in some posts that you make. If I am mis understanding you then sorry.

You don't have to say the words but people know how you really feel with the things you say sometimes. That goes for anyone.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ the E-pissing match. this is a technical/racing thread fellas. it's Phil's time and money. good luck and make the other LS based tourists (myself and many others) proud
Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah no ****, I wanna see someone put a car together in their garage themselves and within 10 passes already be cracking off 7.5 second passes.

So ******* what if something broke? Jesus the car went down the track in 10 passes to a 7.5 with zero runs on it, and I don't think that this was the 100th car of this caliber that Phil has built, it's not like he was copying a proven blueprint.

I can only hope to someday trap in the 1/4 what phil's already done to the 1/8th.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people are missing why Phil's car ran so fast; the LSX engine was running harder than normal because it did not want to be seen in a Mustang!!

Sorry Phil, was to easy...........

Kurt
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 427
Most people are missing why Phil's car ran so fast; the LSX engine was running harder than normal because it did not want to be seen in a Mustang!!

Kurt
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
too funny.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the $11k motor comment... most dont know what we know Phil.....
Ive seen the parts..... i would of never believed it until i saw them LOL

You know exactly what im talking about LOL...

Ill be there to support ya this YR Phil..... showem what u can do and ill be happy to just be there to see ya do it.....

Kyle
Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont worry phil... some one will spend some more money and kill DH's record very soon... i think its rediculous that very few people actually tune/work on their car any more... petty does 90% of the turbo cars out there (props to petty for the business man side). but damn its like everyone uses a crutch/money to get a good combo... no one does much of there own work/tunning any more and it makes me sick... its really just demoralizing that its come to this... but the more petty tunes the more info he has and its just a snowball effect after that... any ways sorry for ranting in your thread but i could tell you felt the same way :hug: lol
Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Phil made a few bad choices (more uneducated choices at the time) when it came to some of the parts in his motor...yeah he's ultimately paying twice for some of these parts, but had he used these parts from the get-go, it wouldn't have cost much more up front.

still ALOT less than a Proline motor that would've costed 2-3 times as much as what his does

Pretty pieces of aluminum phil
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
With the $11k motor comment... most dont know what we know Phil.....
Ive seen the parts..... i would of never believed it until i saw them LOL

You know exactly what im talking about LOL...

Ill be there to support ya this YR Phil..... showem what u can do and ill be happy to just be there to see ya do it.....

Kyle
Kyle,
Your right. I am smiling that the parts held together, I think if we had aluminum rods it would have been a different ballgame from the get go BUT I also think that if the motor had made more passes we would have found the problem with the crank sensor. I am glad we pulled it and reassesed it when we did because we could have had a rear main seal leak quick. See you shortly, we've only got 9 weeks left.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
dont worry phil... some one will spend some more money and kill DH's record very soon... i think its rediculous that very few people actually tune/work on their car any more... petty does 90% of the turbo cars out there (props to petty for the business man side). but damn its like everyone uses a crutch/money to get a good combo... no one does much of there own work/tunning any more and it makes me sick... its really just demoralizing that its come to this... but the more petty tunes the more info he has and its just a snowball effect after that... any ways sorry for ranting in your thread but i could tell you felt the same way :hug: lol
I agree. Its no secret that Shawn helps tune the car. I am a very competent tuner, been tuning cars for the last 9 years but having shawn there is a bonus. I have a second set of eyes on each pass and making the tuneups, Shawn gets more data on tuning turbo setups, gets infront of more prospective customers, and lets face it we're two fun guys to hang around. Its really a great combination having two guys that may not be up to date on the latest **** but are smart enough to figure it out.

Case in point, we took Shawns outlaw car to Delaware with a new boost controller. Shawn is a smart enough guy to figure the boost controller out and could very easily have taken the time to figure it out but I told him don't worry about it, I'll handle it. So we(Kyle, Shawn and myself) get to delaware and get the car unloaded, everyone kinda knows their position/what to do. First pass in over a year the car fries the tires 200' out. Shawn comes back and as a driver he is overwhelmed. Was it tuning, was it boost, was it fuel? So we all know our roles, Shawn is on the laptop, all he worries about is timing and fuel. Kyle and I split between round bitch duties. I've got the boost controller. While Shawn was tweaking the A/F, I was trouble shooting the AMS-1000, after about 10 minutes I found two wires that were backwards making the AMS-1000 do some crazy ****. So we go out make another hit and car got down most of the track, spun the tires 400' out. Get back, Same deal, Shawn tweaks the fuel/timing, I changed the boost program, Kyle and I got the between round duties done. Having a couple set of "Skilled" hands really helps turning around a car of his level between rounds. 3rd hit, car goes right down the track and begs for more power. Could Shawn have figured all the **** out, absolutely. Having "help" on a drag radial or a 10.5 car thats not clueless goes along way.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
Phil made a few bad choices (more uneducated choices at the time) when it came to some of the parts in his motor...yeah he's ultimately paying twice for some of these parts, but had he used these parts from the get-go, it wouldn't have cost much more up front.

still ALOT less than a Proline motor that would've costed 2-3 times as much as what his does

Pretty pieces of aluminum phil
Your right, I really wish I could have gone back in time and gotten hooked up with Shawn. I could have saved some cash by not having to buy twice. I have learned its better to buy once than twice. A Proline motor would have easily costed 2x what I got in the LSx with all the "Baller" parts in it.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
7 Second Club

Update on the motor...
* Both sides of the motor had different deck heights, both taller than stock
* Both sides of the engine deck had a nice crown in them, speculation that its what caused the front and rear cylinders to leak.
* O-ring height was inconsistent, speculation that the inconsistent height is what caused inconsistent cylinder leakage

Tomorrow they are starting on the Virginia Speed # 12699210 LSx main girdle.

Last edited by Phil99vette; 01-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

I agree. Its no secret that Shawn helps tune the car. I am a very competent tuner, been tuning cars for the last 9 years but having shawn there is a bonus. I have a second set of eyes on each pass and making the tuneups, Shawn gets more data on tuning turbo setups, gets infront of more prospective customers, and lets face it we're two fun guys to hang around. Its really a great combination having two guys that may not be up to date on the latest **** but are smart enough to figure it out.

Case in point, we took Shawns outlaw car to Delaware with a new boost controller. Shawn is a smart enough guy to figure the boost controller out and could very easily have taken the time to figure it out but I told him don't worry about it, I'll handle it. So we(Kyle, Shawn and myself) get to delaware and get the car unloaded, everyone kinda knows their position/what to do. First pass in over a year the car fries the tires 200' out. Shawn comes back and as a driver he is overwhelmed. Was it tuning, was it boost, was it fuel? So we all know our roles, Shawn is on the laptop, all he worries about is timing and fuel. Kyle and I split between round bitch duties. I've got the boost controller. While Shawn was tweaking the A/F, I was trouble shooting the AMS-1000, after about 10 minutes I found two wires that were backwards making the AMS-1000 do some crazy ****. So we go out make another hit and car got down most of the track, spun the tires 400' out. Get back, Same deal, Shawn tweaks the fuel/timing, I changed the boost program, Kyle and I got the between round duties done. Having a couple set of "Skilled" hands really helps turning around a car of his level between rounds. 3rd hit, car goes right down the track and begs for more power. Could Shawn have figured all the **** out, absolutely. Having "help" on a drag radial or a 10.5 car thats not clueless goes along way.

I can def say one guy cant do it all on one of these cars,I've been building and racing turbo cars since 99,learned alot of the years.But since me and Phil hooked up my turbo program has progressed greatly.The engine part i had down,as well as the tuning,but there is so much information that needs to be gone through and so many other things to do in a short period of time,that i overlooked alot of things.With the addition of Phil's help i can concentrait on doing what i need to,and he does what he needs to.And two sets of eyes are def better than one.After each race we both look at the logs and figured out what did or didnt happen.
Phil would have def gone as fast as he did without my help,maybe it would have taken longer,maybe not.I would like to think i have helped him as much as he has helped me.
As far as Phil's car,he built that entire car in his garage-a small *** garage at that.Phil still has final say on every part that goes in his engine.The only difference now is he can make an informed decision on the parts.So this is truly 100% Phil's car that he built himself.I just help out where i can.
We are some fun dudes to hang out with
Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Phil,

Ill be there every chance i get this coming yr.
I help out because as Shawn knows i love helping..... i love learning... no better way then hands on and i just love cars.

You both are my friends and i enjoy helping out when and where i can.
(I know Shawn.... i talk to much) LOL

Kyle
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Phil,

Ill be there every chance i get this coming yr.
I help out because as Shawn knows i love helping..... i love learning... no better way then hands on and i just love cars.

You both are my friends and i enjoy helping out when and where i can.
(I know Shawn.... i talk to much) LOL

Kyle
I know you can't help yourself
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Phil99vette;10927910]Update on the motor...
* Both sides of the motor had different deck heights, both taller than stock
QUOTE]

How is that even possible....stock = as produced right...so if its >stock then it grew

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"