Sponsored by:

What vacuum pump setup are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
Actually not at all. I ordered my setup from GZ motorsports to run with my Meziere race pump. Basically he just builds its without the tensioner etc.

They did it for my ASP pulley for the mandrel, pass side head mount that is adjustable for tensioning the belt and everything for about $600...

So GZ can do it for a street or race setup.
Thats awesome... looking forward for the pics
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
7 Second Club

http://rpm-motors-inc.com/vacuumpumps.html

this fits on the passenger side head and runs off a manual tensioner....

i have the bracket and manual tensioner that this pump runs off of it any one wants it for a good price...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
http://rpm-motors-inc.com/vacuumpumps.html

this fits on the passenger side head and runs off a manual tensioner....

i have the bracket and manual tensioner that this pump runs off of it any one wants it for a good price...

It fits off the head on a corvette, when test fitted on a F-body the pump came into contact with the shock tower and requires a street style water pump to run the tensioner

Here is the "Street pump" with external adjustable regulator

Here is the "race pump" with Integral regulator
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

So that setup is pretty much useless if I'm running the Meziere race electric water pump and no tensioner?

I'm so tempted to buy all the Moroso components and putting a kit together.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the RPM Motors "Kit" is only ment for corvette's.

I would Still go with the Star Pump, and fabricate a bracket.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Here are pics of my GZ Motorsports kit installed.

I tried contacting RPM about their kit before I found out about GZ Motorsports - but they never got back to me after any of my 4 phone calls - had a credit card ready to order each time... GZ Motorsports shipped it the day I called...
Attached Thumbnails What vacuum pump setup are you using?-vacuum-pump-small.jpg   What vacuum pump setup are you using?-catch-can-small.jpg  

Last edited by BLK02WS6; 10-02-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club NA

Just curious, but how come you guys didn't buy the Star mandrel? It is intended to bolt onto the crank/balancer pulley correct?

Star pump
Star aluminum pulley
Star bracket
Star mandrel

Then a catch can and what about the belt? Can that be purchased at a autoparts store or is it some special type of belt?

Who has the best price on the Star products? I want to order today.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

order direct from Star, you can ask all the questions you want and get the answers from the man that builds them, SOme of the best customer service i have ever gotten, i've never seen them sold at less than MSRP.

I didn't get the star mandrel because i needed more than one pulley and various spacers.
talk to them and see if it will work for you, if it does by all meant get it from them.

Don't order the belt until you know where you are going to mount the pump. they are cheap around $30 for just about any length you can think of.
My catch can is a fabricated $79 moroso with a -12 fitting like this one

you can use any catch can as long as it has a vent, and a -12 fitting.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

This is becoming a pain. I called Star products, their mandrel will not work. It was built for a BBC balancer. I got on Jones' website and I found nothing to do with mandrels or Star products. I called W2W and got no answer. I went through all sorts of automated extensions and got no one on the phone.

I'm ready to say the heck with it and just buy the Moroso components.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

send Kurt a PM he is 427 on here and leave a message on his voicemail, he will call you back.

Jones does not sell star products,
Here is a link to the section of his website for the mandrels
http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/csDh.html#sbc

you need a mandrel meant for a small chevy bolt pattern. Thats why i said just get a hold of Kurt and he will get you what you need.

It may take some patience but it will be worth it in the end.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

I have the ASP pulley now, am I going to have to change over to an ATI or other brand? I would like to buy a mandrel specifically for the LS1 ASP crank pulley.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i highly doubt anyone will make a specific mandrel/hub, if anyone will know or be able to modify one to fit it's kurt.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I have the ASP pulley now, am I going to have to change over to an ATI or other brand? I would like to buy a mandrel specifically for the LS1 ASP crank pulley.
I went with a standard ATI LS1 balancer and the ATI BBC mandrel. They had to machine the ATI balancer a touch to get it to locate properly though. The machine work was an additional $75 IIRC...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
9 Second Club NA

So ATI offers mandrels for their balancers? If so, why would it need to be machined if they make them for their own balancers. Also, did that mandrel in the pic come with the pulley or is that separate? Lastly, is that balancer lighter than stock and how does it compare in weight to the ASP?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ugggghhh! (that's a frustrated sound) All I need to figure out is how I'm going to drive the damn pump and I'm good. I'll buy the pump, pump pulley, and bracket from Star. Buy the fabricated Moroso catch can and all the necessary fittings and line locally. I just need to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do. Mounting it to the crank pulley/balancer is the only thing I can think of being that's the only thing I have on a belt besides the alternator.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
So ATI offers mandrels for their balancers? If so, why would it need to be machined if they make them for their own balancers. Also, did that mandrel in the pic come with the pulley or is that separate? Lastly, is that balancer lighter than stock and how does it compare in weight to the ASP?
Because its a BBC mandrel. Bolt spacing was ok, but the ATI hub wasn't designed to accomodate it...the ID needed to be opened up...

did not come with that pulley....that pulley is for one of my accessories.

I believe the ATI/ASP balancers are comparable in weight...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, I'm confused. Why would you buy a BBC mandrel if you had a LS series damper/balancer? Why didn't you just buy a mandrel meant for the LS balancer?

So if that mandrel didn't come with that pulley, which means that mandrel is just a shaft at the end, how do you put a pulley on it to drive the vacuum pump? Is it pressed on? Does it have a keyway?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok.....

No one makes a ls1 specific mandrel, the mandrels are made with a hub ID and bolt pattern. what Fireball is saying is his BBC mandrel had to be turned down to fit within the ls1 dampener hub.

The ATI mandrel uses a keyway to hold the pulley in place, you use spacers to get it to where you need it on the mandrel, i am using either a 14 tooth pulley or a 12 tooth pulley i'll decide once i get the engine running to get the desired vacuum.

It's not complicated but can be very frustrating to piece the system together, if you contact Kurt @ W2W he will get you what you need.

Last edited by ALLBOTTLE; 10-03-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ahhhh...I just got on ATI's website and looked up the balancers. Then it has a link that says accessories. Scrolled down and found mandrels. They only make 2. One for BBC and the other for SB & VC Buicks. I assume he bought the BBC since he stated it had the same bolt patter, but it didn't fit inside the LS1 damper, so he had the damper opened up. Couldn't you also machine down the mandrel? Either way, I work in a machine shop for a big oil company, so I can machine whatever I want.

But if whatever I do is gonna take machining, why don't I just buy a mandrel and have it fitted to my current ASP pulley? I shouldn't have to swap to a whole other balancer. Am I right?

It'll be simple, buy the pump, pulley, bracket from Star, lines, fittings, and breather tank from local speed shop, and the mandrel from wherever. So now I just need to figure out what bolt pattern my ASP balancer has. It has 3 bolt holes on the front of it.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

.ALEX., ok, am I going to have to buy spacers too? Do I have to space the drive pulley or could I do it with the pump?

I looked on Star's website and they don't even offer a 22 or 24 tooth pulley. The biggest one they have is 18. Also, I thought the standard pump has a built in regulator in it, so why would you need to have multiple pulleys if its going to be adjusted with the regulator?

Quick Reply: What vacuum pump setup are you using?