Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man. I will trade yeah for your car? LOL.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Update.

The testing of the nitrous didn't go well. Or not at all I should say.

I have had nothing but problems with my car after the LS fest. The ignition is breaking up at 7K rpm's. I thought the problem was gone at the LS fest with it running a new pb and all. When we get back home the car starts breaking up again like last year.
I never got a chance to spray it before the shootout.

So at the shootout it was still doing it. And really running like ****. On Saturday night I finally got the idea to run a power wire from the battery straight to the box and put a switch in between. What do yeah know it fixed it. It went 10.44 spinning like crazy. The next day I got put out in the 2nd round of the index racing. I didn't care cause I found my problem haha.

This was only after buying a new box from SCPC on site (thanks guys) and changing the coils, plug wires and plugs. I felt like a dumb ***.

It was the power going to the box the whole time. It was not getting proper voltage at 7000 rpm's and mis firing.
MSD 6010 users please take note!

I chased this problem for over a year and it was as simple as putting a new power wire to the box! Geeez. Makes me wonder why I do this ****... LOL.

So I finally got it figured out and I'm ready to spray..
First I run it on motor a few runs to make sure things are cool. And it was. Went 10.04 first pass then a 10.04 2nd pass. Then I put a set of br8efs plugs in it. It's jetted for about a 100 shot or so. I got the right range of fuel jet in it to start with. I set the fuel psi at 5.5 psi flowing through the noid and the jet being used. I pull 6 deg of timing to be safe, from 36.
I get out there and decide to activate it in second gear by way of wot switch. I left at about 3/4 throttle and then after I hit 2nd gear I put it to the floor. It came on and the tranny went ziiiinnnggg.
I got over against the wall in case it was leaking. I coasted it out for a sec and then I put it in 3rd at it finally picked up. I go drive it around the pits and it does not want to shift at all.
I get home and pull the the big lug(th400) and my buddy took it apart and said the sprag rolled the bearings. Other than that everything looked perfect. The clutches looked great but a few steel disc were glazed a little.
I ordered up the parts and it is back together now.

I started putting it in tonight. It should be finished and off the lift tomorrow night.

I hope we get a few more shots in around here before the cold sets in for the season. I want to get a few hits in the car to see how things feel like the converter and tires.

I'll be pissed if I don't get another shot after that ****!!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I mentioned to you at pinks all out that I ran 10 gauge wire directly off a big relay off the battery and ran my ground back to the battery direct as well since I had high rpm issues as well. But glad you finally solved the mystery lol.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up doing something similar with my box and I think it helped. I think I'll try putting a better ground too.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
I thought I mentioned to you at pinks all out that I ran 10 gauge wire directly off a big relay off the battery and ran my ground back to the battery direct as well since I had high rpm issues as well. But glad you finally solved the mystery lol.

I don't recall but I wish I had tried this last year.

The problem would clear up at times then come back some times. I'm glad it is over aswell.

I have another MSD 6010 box for sale if anyone needs it. Brand new wiring harness with it.

PM me if anyone wants it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

12-7 Update.

I got one more hit in after fixing the trans. We went to Edge water in OH on a Friday night in Nov. The dew set in on the track and it was a pedal fest. I was getting side ways at 1000'. So I parked it for the season.

I am already under way with my 2011 tear down and improvements...
The car is a a buddy's place getting Wolfe mini tubs and off set arms. Cutting the 8.8 down and putting Afco doubles and strange pro drag brakes on it. And I picked up a set of M/T ET's in 15x10 and 15x3.5. Right now it has a BFG DR 315 on it but I'm going to switch the tire after I run on it for a few times to see how it does.

I am also moving the motor back as far as it will go. It sits kinda far forward now. 56% frt/ 44% Rr. And putting a tube rear bumper with a chute mount on it. In case I need it lol. And put a automatic shifter in the car.

My goal is to make the car very consistent and safe. I plan on running more index style classes this year alone with bracket racing. And playing with the spray from time to time.

I am finally done with the license bull ****. I have a number and my dues are paid. And my car is certed to 8.50 ET. I'm ready to sit back and enjoy this next season!!

You boys better look out in true street next year at the shootout..
Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on your progress and finding your electrical issue. I know how that kinda stuff can be a big pain in the butt. I hate wiring cars!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JRracing
You boys better look out in true street next year at the shootout..
I'll be there to see that
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Scott, I hope to have it all pilled out by then. 200-250 shot. Looking for low 9's or a high 8.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Once I get the car back from the chassis guy I am pulling the motor and taking it to Mike Duke Racing here in Indy. It is getting new rings and bearings. I have two seasons on the motor now and we set the rings up pretty loose when my buddy and I built it. It blows oil out like crazy. And they were cheap *** Hastings moly rings that came with the pistons. I picked them up used but never been in a motor and someone took the diamond rings out of the kit somewhere along the line..

It should be a solid 10.0 car on motor.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by JRracing
Scott, I hope to have it all pilled out by then. 200-250 shot. Looking for low 9's or a high 8.
Awesome! I should have my Mustang-owning brother with me so he can see what a Mustang is capable of with a real motor in it.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Awesome! I should have my Mustang-owning brother with me so he can see what a Mustang is capable of with a real motor in it.
Yeah, it will hurt his feelings lol.

My buddy has a 93 fox hatch with a stroker 347 ford motor and a T trim vortec blower but it is a 5 speed.
I told him my **** would run mid tens NA when finish and he said BS. Now he is eating his words haha. It's all good. I wax his *** by over a sec. It is more of a street car really. But it is really fast.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Jeremy, very nice build thread,I started reading it at work yesterday and finished it this morning. I learned quite a bit, Thank You. I am gathering info for my 6.0 build in my 88 notch. Your car is very nice, job well done.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks John. It has been a great learning experiences and a total blast to build and play with. And it never stops. I love working on it as much as driving it.

There is a good amount of info here for the fox body guys. Which is growing at a constant rate. I see more and more every year. Some more street cars than others but I try to walk the fine line of both. It is not a pump gas car. But a true street legal car I car drive on the open road! And I do.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

The new wheels and tires to replace the drag lites. It is a 325 BFG DR and ET fronts. I will have to put sportsmans on the front for TS racing. I was going to pull the BFG off there and put a 295/55 MT on it but I think I will sit tight and try the BFG's at first to see how they do for myself.. Then pull them off if I do not like them. But I want the car fitted with the widest tire it will ever have on it. Make sense?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
'Bird Director

Hey Jeremy congrats on having the small piece about you & your car in the February 2011 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. I just picked it up this morning at the grocery, and was like "hey I know that guy" when I saw it.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Right on Scott. I just got it today. I am very happy to see that. The guy got some of my parts wrong on his description of the car. It has A super victor intake, a Quick Fuel carb and Kooks headers. To set the ad straight for others that read it...

Here it is scanned out of the mag.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hell yeah man! badass! congrats!

and couldn't they look at the pic and tell its not a ***** performer intake? come on editors!wake up and look at it!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

And it looks like they are saying it ran a 9.98 on the spray.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM
'Bird Director

Jeremy, you're in the latest issue of Popular Hot Rodding too! A buddy of mine at work brought the issue in for me to check out. Congrats!

Quick Reply: My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)