Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tie Down

Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Tie Down

Tried doing a search... but it's broken... AGAIN.

I'll be trailering my car to the track here in the near future and was wondering what is the best way to tie down our cars to the trailer?
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Tie Down

There are a lot of cool ways to do it with a lot of expensive tie down. The right way IMO is to used 4 tie. Two in front and two in back. BUT if you are just going to a track close by one in front one in back should be fine. Go around the axle in the back and try to get the tie down around the K-member in the front.

Brendon
Old 08-05-2003, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,088 Likes on 716 Posts

I used two in front, and two in back. I criss-cross the back ones.

Let me add a question, what do folks attach their front straps too? I have been using those factory holes in the subframe and they are elongated a bit. Can I wrap the fronts around the suspension?

Also Xaon tighten the stuff up, and then check it at the first stoplite.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brendon, I've already got 2 tie downs, And plan on going to pick up a couple more. I'll be driving out to HRP from Rosehill, so I'd like it to be fairly secure for that 65 mile trek each way.

I'm mainly looking for where people attach their straps to and how they attach it to them. Especially up front.

On the back, do you throw the straps around the axle tubes near the pumpkin and then criss cross it over?
Old 08-05-2003, 01:57 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used two in front, and two in back. I criss-cross the back ones.

Let me add a question, what do folks attach their front straps too? I have been using those factory holes in the subframe and they are elongated a bit. Can I wrap the fronts around the suspension?

I do the same as above. I use the factory holes for short trips but use axle straps around the k-member for the long trips. I also always use axle strap in the rear always. Wrap them around the axles near the pumpkin and criss-cross the back tie-down straps.

Coach

Old 08-05-2003, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,088 Likes on 716 Posts

Xaon, I criss cross the rears and run them around the rearend but in between the swaybar and the pumpkin I don't want to compress the swaybar.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. I usually loop a axle strap through my lower control arms off the k-member though. Something about that factory hole that just doesn't impress me on Michigan roads.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

On the back two axle loop straps to two tie downs(you can criss-cross them if you want) On the front I put them threw the K-member(After market K-member). With the stock K-member you can use hook or criss-cross threw the A-arms.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

If you have the proper hooks, the stock located tie down holes are the best to use, and will give you the most solid tie down.

There are 4 of them on our cars. they are oval shaped, the front is the piece of metal that sticks down right by the front fender screws, it looks like reienforced metal.

The rear holes are also oval, and are located on the frame, just in front of where your lower control arms bolt up to the car.

These holes are so strong, that with the proper hooks, I can tie a car down so tight, that I could hang the car vertical, with no worries of the car coming unhooked.

I haul cars for the big 3, so yes, I have stood some cars vertical.

I have also used the straps wraped around the axle.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:09 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I heard you've also had a couple casualties. Something along the lines of equipment failure?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

I had a heavy duty metal eye welded in the center of the front crossmember. I made a y shaped hardend steel chain sling with a hook in the center. I also have 2 smaller chains with smaller hooks one on each side. I drive the car up reach under the front, hook the large chain to the center eye and the smaller safety chains to the 2 holes in the front lower control arms. I then let car roll back and tie down the rear with axle straps and binder. This is a very quick way to secure the car. i needed it easy because we race at night and securing vehicle at night is tricky. One other trick that I use is that I cable tie my axle strap D rings and leave them on the car at all times. That way no bent brake lines by getting a bit careless. Frank95
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Frank, that's why they invented flash lights so you can tie down you car properly at night

Me criss cross the back ones and use the front factory tie downs.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Ken I've seen guys like you with the flashlight hanging out of your mouth,no thanks Frank95z
Old 08-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Yup been there done that. That's why I got a helper now, (good old dad)
Old 08-07-2003, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

"I heard you've also had a couple casualties. Something along the lines of equipment failure?"

Dam it, yes, you would have to metion the equipment failure. I have had chains break on me
But didn't destroy the vehicle. That was on vehicles on the bottom, not any on the top, yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer Tie Down