Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on Home-Made Ram Air.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
now how do you go aobut sealing up the lower air box? Chris made me one, and i need to seal mine up
I didn't bother with sealing up the lower part of the intake I made, the corner pieces I used will do that well enough.

As far as the upper portion of the intake, I sealed it (today actually) with aluminum tape that you can find at any hardware store. The plastic lower airbox I sealed with foam tape, also available at any hardware store.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
I didn't bother with sealing up the lower part of the intake I made, the corner pieces I used will do that well enough.

As far as the upper portion of the intake, I sealed it (today actually) with aluminum tape that you can find at any hardware store. The plastic lower airbox I sealed with foam tape, also available at any hardware store.
Can you please take some pics of what you sealed? I am going to be installing my ram air tomorrow....

Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Can you please take some pics of what you sealed? I am going to be installing my ram air tomorrow....

Thanks
You can see the air-box seal here. I sealed under the sides with the tape as well.

You can see in this pic how I overlapped the aluminum over the seal, so that it covers it and seals it.

Here you can see the joints on the side where I sealed today with aluminum tape (not pictured). You could use clear silicone too, as I originally did, but I found that to be pretty messy. The silicone holds a lot of dirt.

I need to take some new pics for you guys tomorrow, I've made some improvements.

I'm not sure if Chris's intake seals in the same places. I suggest shooting him a PM or calling him before you start.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Pics, a day late. Sorry guys, but I had to change a flat last night on the Interstate. Kinda sucked not having the spare in the car.

Further back. Ignore the gangsta lean, the car has a donut in the front right now. You can see the two new braces at the bottom, as well as the fact that the whole intake is more square.

Sealed with the aluminum tape:

Closer look at the new braces.

New and improved brace underneath, measured really carefully this time, and riveted the piece all the way across the intake. Used the same bolts in the spoiler.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

cool man.. i installed mine last night.. what a PITA... how did you seal the very front of the lower air box? i think i will have to use like 5 courses of weather stripping b/c i have the WS6 lower air box, and that bottom gap is tall...

Let me know if you have any ideas

EDIT: i see you sealed your lower part of the lower air box with weather stripping?? Like i said mine be sooo much taller than yours will take like 5 courses to get it that high
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, i have planned on making something similar myself, but haven't got any free time yet. Have you noticed any increase in temp during normal driving?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

EDIT: i see you sealed your lower part of the lower air box with weather stripping?? Like i said mine be sooo much taller than yours will take like 5 courses to get it that high
Just get thicker weather stripping.

Originally Posted by BDD4.8
Have you noticed any increase in temp during normal driving?
Nope, so if there is a difference, it's about 2-3 degrees, where I can't notice it on the gauge. I do have a Phantom gauge too, not going off the stocker.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow you got me wanting to do this now.

this thread should be stickied
Old 07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone done this who still has there AC? im curious what dimensions you used and what need to be changed.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Ahh I see from reading the last post..

I have another Radiator looking thing in FRONT of the radiator where you put your FTRA. Is that for the AC? I see there is a line there running to the low side.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just a heads up, if you guys want to see if it actually increases your airflow

Do a couple passes with your airbox lose so that its not a pressurized system and log your MAP.

Then do a couple passes with your system sealed and log your MAP.

If your airflow was actually increased your MAP will also increase.

This is how I gauge the effectiveness of my intake setups.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magnus
Just a heads up, if you guys want to see if it actually increases your airflow

Do a couple passes with your airbox lose so that its not a pressurized system and log your MAP.

Then do a couple passes with your system sealed and log your MAP.

If your airflow was actually increased your MAP will also increase.

This is how I gauge the effectiveness of my intake setups.
what about logging the MAF as well? If so, would you say the HZ of it or the grams/sec?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

i like it
Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
has anyone done this who still has there AC? im curious what dimensions you used and what need to be changed.
ask torch i made him one for the AC...

nice to see the thread still going...you get that car to the track yet...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
nice to see the thread still going...you get that car to the track yet...
Not yet, I'm biding my time, trying not to break anything in the higher DA's.

I'll start going back mid/late Sept, and will be there every weekend 'til they close for maintenance.

I want to see some negative DA this winter, and maybe even 117 or so traps.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Doubt-It , I got a similar air box I made similar to yours . At the very bottom I though about two things . One is I added an extra lip to the back to try to capture more air . This is without the front piece but it is only about 3 inches on the back before it is completely boxed .
The second thing was I was thinking of making an almost 90 degree turn under my front bumper that way the air is more direct .
My question is to you have you done anything to the bottom of the box , similar or have any input on this ?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

It looks like you are really restricting your radiator... Even more so on large cube motors.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pddye
It looks like you are really restricting your radiator... Even more so on large cube motors.
I'm running one on my car, with a single cooling fan, 160 themostat and in the Texas summer heat I have no problems.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have no problems.. and i still have my a/c condensor too
Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by snake charmer
Hey Doubt-It , I got a similar air box I made similar to yours . At the very bottom I though about two things . One is I added an extra lip to the back to try to capture more air . This is without the front piece but it is only about 3 inches on the back before it is completely boxed .
The second thing was I was thinking of making an almost 90 degree turn under my front bumper that way the air is more direct .
My question is to you have you done anything to the bottom of the box , similar or have any input on this ?
I'm not sure that I follow what you did, do you have pics? I don't want to comment without understanding what the difference is. As far as the 90 degree turn deal, yeah the air would be coming more directly into the opening, but it'd still have to make a turn when it comes to the rest of the intake. I think it would all come out in the wash.

Originally Posted by pddye
Nope. I daily drive this car in Montgomery Alabama, with a 105* heat index most every day. Haven't seen the temp pass 195 yet, and I haven't even switched out the coolant to my normal summer mix yet (30% coolant/70% water w/Water Wetter) it's still the 50/50 Dexcool mix.

If you think about it, there's tons of stuff in the way stock. The condenser, plastic shrouding, there's not really that big of a difference with this in the way.

Quick Reply: My take on Home-Made Ram Air.