-Factory Cat-back
-Tick Performance V.2 Polluter cam 239/244 .624/.595 111+2
-Dual springs
-T56 trans
-Stock rear

Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a Dyno Jet Dyno? Is it safe to say there is roughly 12% difference between a mustang and a Dyno Jet? This is what I read. It could be anywhere between 10-15% difference.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw your numbers on that Mustang Dyno. That is a very stingy dyno! Yes this a Dyno Jet.

A Mustang Dyno is very easily manipulated as the operator has to accurately input parameters that highly influence the power numbers displayed at the end of the run. A Dyno Jet does not have to have operator input as it uses drum weight as part of it's calculation for HP and that cannot be influenced. Unless you physically cut material off of the drum to make it lighter. This would show higher power numbers as a result.

You could have a 4000 pound 5th gen Camaro on the dyno and input parameters for a Mazda Miata and the numbers will be much higher than they should be.

To me it sounds like the operator that was dynoing your car input the correct numbers for your vehicle. When used correctly a Mustang Dyno will read much, much lower than a Dyno Jet.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Martin, this puts the the other threads conversation to rest. Nice numbers by the way. I will have to get mine on a Dyno Jet to see what the difference is, and to also see what the difference is between going through the stock muffler and the cutout. BTW, I am also going through a catted Y-pipe.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

No problem! I commented on the thread just now to shed some light on cam specs and how judging a cam solely on duration and LSA can lead one astray.

I personally like and dislike Mustang Dynos and I'll say why so I can possibly shed some light on the MD vs. DJ age long argument.

I like Mustang Dynos because they can effectively simulate real world load conditions. They are very good in this aspect. For simulating road tuning and constant load for drivability they really can't be beat. A Dyno Dynamics is also a good example of being able to load the rollers to simulate real world conditions. Some Dyno Jets have the capability to load and unload the rollers so they can operate in eddy current(like a MD or a DD) or in inertia(like a "normal" DJ).

For big power nitrous and boost cars that need load to accurately simulate a long pull at the track Mustang Dynos are great for that as well. Makes getting an accurate plug reading much easier since the pull is much longer putting more heat in the plug simulating real world conditions.

Now here is why I dislike a Mustang Dyno.

They can be manipulated by the operator to read higher or lower numbers! A Dyno Jet cannot! Only through a correction factor and manipulating the weather station can you manipulate a Dyno Jet. Or physically removing drum material to make it lighter.

You'll have guys that go to Mustang Dynos to dyno their car. They have a combination very similar or identical to others that have dyno'd their car on a Dyno Jet. Same heads, same cam(or similar specs ground by a different cam grinder), same intake etc. There may be slight differences, but for this arguments sake they're extremely close in mods.

When their car dyno's the same numbers or even higher numbers than the others that have been run on a Dyno Jet they immediately assume that their combination is superior. All because they have been lead to believe that a Mustang Dyno reads lower than a Dyno Jet. Which when operated correctly they do. So of course they assume, "Man my car is a beast!" or, "Man, my cam guy is better than your cam guy!"

Am I saying that it's not possible for their car to be a beast? Or their cam guy isn't better than another? NO! BUT! When you have hundreds of combinations that dyno extremely similarly on a Dyno Jet and you take your car to a Mustang Dyno and it reads higher, it's not because you're an exception to the hundreds of others.

I will say this. It is impossible for an accurately operated Mustang Dyno to read higher than a Dyno Jet if the same car is being run on both dyno's. You could argue that two different vehicles even with the exact same modifications could possibly dyno higher on a Mustang Dyno than a Dyno Jet, but it's extremely unlikely.

If you were to run your car on a Mustang Dyno, and then on a Dyno Jet and it read higher on the MD than the DJ, the MD didn't have the proper parameters input in the computer.

This is just my opinion and I may be attacked for it, but it's how I feel about the MD vs. DJ issue.

We actually have a Dyno Jet that can load the rollers just like a Mustang Dyno. It is Dyno Jet's 224XLC model. It can also operate like a Dyno Jet as well. It has both features. We can use the inertia feature like a "normal" Dyno Jet to give the customer numbers that he can compare to other "normal" Dyno Jets and then use the eddy current brake to really fine tune the tune up so that it's as close as it can get to real world.

IMO for comparing power numbers between combinations, a Dyno Jet is the only fair and somewhat accurate way to do so.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

That thing is screaming for a fast 102!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That thing is screaming for a fast 102!
And that crate LS6 of yours is screaming for a Polluter V.2!

See what I did there?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't get the MD vs DJ issue. Horsepower = work over time.

The most accurate power figure you can get is to weigh the vehicle, go to the track make 10 runs, and take the average of them minus the fastest and slowest (trap speeds). Then calculate real world results. I don't understand why this isn't done more often. This method takes into account every single variable applicable to the car including wind drag, rolling resistance, gears, etc.

I guess people don't like this method because a missed shift can screw things up, but that's why you ignore the high's and low's and use the average of the rest. Or you can use only the highest trap speed only.

If you record the weather conditions during your run you can then compared times/traps/horsepower with others else where.

For comparing dyno numbers I agree, dyno jet is the way to go. It will be the most consistent between different locations for comparison.

For tuning, Mustang dyno if it is set up right. Or take it to the track with tuner cats or something similar.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get bashed for this too.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJ or MJ....they both tools simply used to tune the car. A before and after comparison on each dyno. People using dynos as bragging rights. If someone tuned on DJ and got higher numbers but car drive like crap then who cares. but if someone tuned on MD and have lower numbers but car drives superior. Then don't matter how high numbers are. I'd rather have the car that drives the best.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I still don't get the MD vs DJ issue. Horsepower = work over time.

The most accurate power figure you can get is to weigh the vehicle, go to the track make 10 runs, and take the average of them minus the fastest and slowest (trap speeds). Then calculate real world results. I don't understand why this isn't done more often. This method takes into account every single variable applicable to the car including wind drag, rolling resistance, gears, etc.

I guess people don't like this method because a missed shift can screw things up, but that's why you ignore the high's and low's and use the average of the rest. Or you can use only the highest trap speed only.

If you record the weather conditions during your run you can then compared times/traps/horsepower with others else where.

For comparing dyno numbers I agree, dyno jet is the way to go. It will be the most consistent between different locations for comparison.

For tuning, Mustang dyno if it is set up right. Or take it to the track with tuner cats or something similar.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get bashed for this too.
Great post!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Great post!

That thing put down some good power. What's the 1/4 stats and drivablity?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what were the numbers? i can barely make them out. i have the same cam and im tuning it on a superflow dyno on monday
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
And that crate LS6 of yours is screaming for a Polluter V.2!

See what I did there?
You're probably right....but it's not gonna get one
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice power!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hrcslam

That thing put down some good power. What's the 1/4 stats and drivablity?
It has not seen the track yet. The tuner and owner of the shop said he's only had 2 other cam only ls2 vettes make these kind of numbers on his rollers.

This exact same cam in a cam only trim (stock ls2 intake/tb no fast manifold) 2007 C6 Corvette with a 4000 stall went 10.70@126 mph.

463/420 for those that can't see the numbers.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Very nice. Very good times for cam only!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

This cam has been 125-126mph in several cam only LS2 Corvettes.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That is some crazy power thru the crap LS2 intake!

Quick Reply: V.2 Polluter cam results LS2 C6 Vette cam only