Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

What's with all the low Dyno Numbers Lately?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with all the low Dyno Numbers Lately?!?!

Ok guys, I know the dyno is mainly used for tuning purposes. But has anyone else seen a bunch of pretty low numbers posted lately in this forum? And no I'm not talking about bolt on's really, I'm talking heads/cam cars with big cams that are barely breaking 400 rwhp. What gives??

I know it's not a great comparison, but two years ago I had AAP 5.3 heads and a Cam Motion 227/227 113 lsa cam and did 420 rwhp and 400 rwtq untuned. You'd think with the advent of bigger cams, better tuning and better heads, most of these 300 cfm+ heads and 230+ duartion cams would regularly be seeing 440+ rwhp.

Now I'm not here to make fun of anyone who has dynoed low, I know exactly how frustrating it can be to put this much money into something and not be satisfied. My "back to stock" rebuild got wildy out of control so I ended up with some TSP Stage II Perimeter Style Heads, a TR 224/224 114 cam, and Bassani Mid Lengths. Still going to be pretty much my daily driver and will never see track time, so basically dyno numbers are the only kind of performance indicator I have. Just like some people opinions on why there seems to be a rash of low dynoing heads/cam cars lately. TIA ~Tony
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Summer sucks.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I think some of it has to do with lower quality heads becoming more popular due to stricter budgets. A lot camshafts that have come out in the last year are just way too big for stock CI motors. Combine these two and you have cars with poor heads/huge cams, and 20/30 RWHP left on the table.

Some of it also has to do with summer.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 PM

Summer = HEAT and lots of it = low numbers.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
I think some of it has to do with lower quality heads becoming more popular due to stricter budgets. A lot camshafts that have come out in the last year are just way too big for stock CI motors. Combine these two and you have cars with poor heads/huge cams, and 20/30 RWHP left on the table.

Some of it also has to do with summer.
I think you nailed it. If you dont have a head to match your cam then you arent going to make good numbers. My friends has a head and cam SS 6 speed and only made 405hp. He got it dynoed yesterday. You can take a little *** cam and put some heads on it and make the same power. You need to get the right set up.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Talk about low max numbers ...

Look at my sig ... very disappointing, but, I do have JBA shorties and a 2 1/2" restriction and no LS6 intake, so, I guess my numbers aren't too horribly bad, but, they suck ... not near what I had expected.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Yeah, it hurts after dumping all this money into a H/C setup and thinking you will have that dreamy hotrod HP/TQ monster you've saved your dollars and change for, and get shocked by the low numbers.

Ask the guy (almost me) who wanted a muscle car with some serious power that bought a Mustang GT based on reputation, and then later hearing that he could have bought a Camaro or Firebird with the Corvette motor for the same amount of money, and that will kick his *** all day long. That guy knows what it feels like.

Last edited by bill99hawk; 07-08-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to mention by now many have spent their winter budget and are running on fumes money wise...summer heat has to do with it somewhat because you cant run as much timing and **** as you can in the winter.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Look at my sig ... very disappointing, but, I do have JBA shorties and a 2 1/2" restriction and no LS6 intake, so, I guess my numbers aren't too horribly bad, but, they suck ... not near what I had expected.

My friend has shortys withs a shitty y also. That has to be robbing him of some power.!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed this bad trend. I think it all started when people were putting together bad combos then saying dyno numbers dont count because they couldnt get a decent number. Then They lighten the car up alot and run a crazy converter and and high gearing and say see these are the real numbers that count. Obviously you dont need alot of hp to run a track time when you have stock internal cars running 11.2`s. Now anyone who dynos low says the same. To be honest I think the bar has been lowered by far. But thats just my opinion. I do remeber last year there were alot of 440-460 hp cars and now they are few and far between.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I think weather is a cop out, that's why there is a correction factor right? I made 511rwhp with my 388 in 100 degree weather. I would seem as offaxis said that the bar has been somewhat lowered. Budget heads I don't necessarily think would be shittier because porting has come a long way in 2 years, plus it's competition driving the pricing down too. I think a lot of no name shops are also taking a scrack at tuning these cars and I thik that has a lot to do with it too.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Linear Velocity
I think weather is a cop out, that's why there is a correction factor right? I made 511rwhp with my 388 in 100 degree weather. I would seem as offaxis said that the bar has been somewhat lowered. Budget heads I don't necessarily think would be shittier because porting has come a long way in 2 years, plus it's competition driving the pricing down too. I think a lot of no name shops are also taking a scrack at tuning these cars and I thik that has a lot to do with it too.

I also think that some established shops may have slipped alittle after seeing some buget heads that produce less hp so widely accepted. But thats just what ive seen. My heads were ported late 02 and I would figure by now these would be way outdated but latley I see guys with the same cam as mine and new s2 heads with m6 cars making 400 - 410 hp and are happy to get it. Just makes me wonder. If I bought a s2 head and it made only 400 hp with all boltons and a cam like mine Id take the heads and beat the fuckign guy till i got my money back. But I guess thats why they didnt sell me those heads. IMO anythng less than a min of 30rwhp from a set of heads you got ripped off bad. I dont care whos heads they are.

There are alot of guys tuning cars now. Ive only been tuned buy 2 places both are well known and concidered 2 of the best. Cartek and Eastside. There is no way in hell i would let bojangles tune my car.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Linear Velocity
I think weather is a cop out, that's why there is a correction factor right?
Wrong. Correction faction isn't perfect. Our cars in AZ heat lose about 15rwhp going from winter to summer...with SAE correction.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offaxis
I also think that some established shops may have slipped alittle after seeing some buget heads that produce less hp so widely accepted. But thats just what ive seen. My heads were ported late 02 and I would figure by now these would be way outdated but latley I see guys with the same cam as mine and new s2 heads with m6 cars making 400 - 410 hp and are happy to get it. Just makes me wonder. If I bought a s2 head and it made only 400 hp with all boltons and a cam like mine Id take the heads and beat the fuckign guy till i got my money back. But I guess thats why they didnt sell me those heads. IMO anythng less than a min of 30rwhp from a set of heads you got ripped off bad. I dont care whos heads they are.

There are alot of guys tuning cars now. Ive only been tuned buy 2 places both are well known and concidered 2 of the best. Cartek and Eastside. There is no way in hell i would let bojangles tune my car.
Weather does affect dyno #'s.I've also redyno'd cars from both shops you listed and the HP #'s aren't as high as there shops got.A few weren't even close That is why most of us go by track improvements since the dyno IS just a # and does not alway's turn out to be faster on the street.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:59 AM
7 Second Club

Maybe people are just being honest now.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default As stated ...

My sig shows shitty max numbers ... shorties and CAT inlet pipes. I HATE the max numbers I got and was SUPER disappointed. Hot weather, tuner, whatever ... none of the variables mentioned will overcome my restrictions.

But, there is a positive. After my dyno tune and 5 pulls, well, even though I was soooo disappointed, I realized that my power down low is better than most that I am seeing on the street. This A4 on street tires and stock converter(launching easy) consistently does 0-60 mph from a dead start in 4.2 with a stopwatch. Done it aover a dozen times with three different stopwatches to make sure I was halucinating.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by offaxis
I do remeber last year there were alot of 440-460 hp cars and now they are few and far between.
Yeah and a lot of them ran 117mph

I have seen many HCI cars dyno in the 390-410RWHP with top line packages and 440RWHP dyno sheets from other dynos.

Anyone dynoing 460 should be running 122-125mph in street trim in 90 degree heat.

I dont know if I should be mad the shops that cook the numbers or the idiots on the web sucking it all up like it is gospel...
Old 07-09-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Weather does affect dyno #'s.I've also redyno'd cars from both shops you listed and the HP #'s aren't as high as there shops got.A few weren't even close That is why most of us go by track improvements since the dyno IS just a # and does not alway's turn out to be faster on the street.
I am not going to name specific shops but I have seen the EXACT same thing. It is EASY to cook/dynotrick numbers to boost internet sales....
Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pipsters right,I dynoed my supposide 440RW monster with the EXACAT same parts when it left the shop that got 440RW.Well on another dyno is was 429RW (no belts) so it lost 11RW right there but I didnt care.

Then just to see if this dyno was legit I took it to another dyno and it pulled 428RW so it looks like my 440RW setup was never REALLY 440RW.

Now u fast forward to 04,I rebuild the motor with the very same parts other than rings,bearings and rod bolts.I put the same cam in it and it dyno's 410RW w/the belts hooked up.I know thats worth about 5RW so right now I'm about 13RW shy of my numbers from the other 2 dyno's.I also know this motor had 30 miles on it at the time of dynoing so it'll make another 10RW in 3 or K miles.

IMO this means its within 3 to 5 of the numbers I GOT 2yrs ago from 2 different independant dyno's on my own.Funny how I again went to another dyno 2 months ago with this very same setup and it pulled 410RW,food for thought.

Dyno shmyno...
The car ran 11.51@117.95 in +1910FT DA's at 3550lbs
Its making power...
Old 07-09-2004, 12:37 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by verbs
Wrong. Correction faction isn't perfect. Our cars in AZ heat lose about 15rwhp going from winter to summer...with SAE correction.
How is that? Is the fuel different? I know they water it down with ethanol. Do they use more ethanol in the summer? Or maybe you cant run as much timing in the summer cuz of the heat.