Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Called out...by a Lightning o.O

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Called out...by a Lightning o.O

Ok this local guy has a ford lightning. As far as I know he said it had a kenne bell blower, smaller pully, full exhaust, custom tune, 150 shot, and from the way my buddy and the exhaust shop said it smelled he is running racing fuel.

My car is my m6 ss. 420rwhp 370rwtq.

He said I would be lucky to stay any where near him and now he has been telling people we have already ran and he has beaten me.

He doesnt wanna race on the track for some reason he has drag radials and I have street tires with a 10-bolt and 3.23 gears. (yeas i am currently working on building a rearend). He wants to go from a 30mph roll.

It just kinda ticks me off when he just started running his mouth about how i could maybe keep up with his truck.

What do you guys think. Should I race him from a roll or wait a few weeks till I get my 9-inch and 4.11s
Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If he really does have all that stuff, and he hooks you can kiss your *** goodbye. But that is gay that he's runnin his mouth.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Teching In

If you race him, you need to race him from a dig

that guy probably wieghs at least 4500-4800, and hopefully has traction issuses
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I mean I dont mind when someone has a badass car or truck and beat me. But it's when you get the little punks like this.

My car is mainly a street car/cruiser....I told him he better have this truck this summer and he can race my Iroc hahahahahh.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has drag tires so racing from a dig favors him not you. And how can you have 3.23 gears.Was your car a swap to m6.all m6 have 3.42 gears.

Your new rear end with 4.11 will make you slower unless you also run drag type tires.nittos work well at your power level. et street radials are even better but don't last near as long on street daily driving.They are better for track though.

Not sure what hp a kenn bell makes on his truck and yeah the truck is likely 1000 or more pounds than you so that does take about 100 hp off the table that he should have over you. So his weight might cancel his spray type of thing.
I think just your car and his blower without spray shouldn't be that bad a race. Again though you might as well go from roll to help you hook things up.
On spray would expect you to lose for sure. Maybe add your own nitrous and then it should be a lot closer race. A kenne bell is going to make monster torque right off the line and think they are still strong top end. They are a nice power adder. Hooking up that kind of brutal torque is hard on street tires but you said he had drag tires.

Anyway ask to race him no spray first and make sure he takes the bottle out!
Then if you do ok he can run you on the bottle. No real shame in losing a race. Someone is always faster. And lots of things go wrong on the street or at the track.faster cars don't always win.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

EDIT!!!!!!!. Mine does have 3.42 sorry.

flame suit on.

Last edited by Kev SS; 01-29-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

At your power leve you will break the stock rear end with your six speed once you start running some sticky tires like et streets it should live awhile on niittos and maybe forever on your street tires. I would not waste any money on gear swaps for stock rear end on six speed cars.If you swap to auto then you can make the 10 bolts live a really long time.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's one thing is I have a set of et radials at the house. He wanted me to go swap them out then run him. Im sorry but I dont have the cash just to drop on a new rearend just for proving a point. I am trying to wait and get good deals and piece together a 9-inch...prolly with 3.73s.

My 10bolt is def healthy right now and i dont want it to go boom until I have the 9-inch almost ready to go in.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Et street radials are awesome tires. But yeah 10 bolt might go bye bye on first pass. Buddy snapped his in his supercharged ls1 on first pass on his 3.73 10 bolt. Didn't even get a time out of that run. Just before that he was telling me how strong his new richmond gears were! LOL

You could not heat up the et streets to run him but then again you would likely be running from a roll.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Speeking of supercharges How hard do you wreckon this was to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAS1...ext=1&index=24

I love the sound of these style chargers thinking about going this rout.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Is the stock rear really that weak if you hook from a 40 roll w/ 420 RWHP for the rest of you?

For some reason I doubt it.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

First thing I would suggest is that you get him to produce some sort of proof that he has run anything other than his mouth against you. State it just like that, in front of his friends, completely call him out on it.

Step two, also in front of his friends, ask him if it is the crowd, the scoreboard, or the car that scares him away from the track.

The second he stammers the slightest when responding to either question, start making fun of him for that too. One of two results will occur, he will cowboy up and meet you at the track or he will tuck tail and run.

Even if he does step up, remember that ever with all his power he is trying to move a 5K lbs truck with no weight over the rear wheels compared to your 3700ish car. Just get it off the line and through first gear clean and you will have a good margin for him to have to fight back from.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

420 hp street tires and M6......no, just no.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
420 hp street tires and M6......no, just no.
All depends on what you're racing from. I've had no problem hooking from 2nd gear rolls with 275 Eagle GS-D3s on spray.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

if I can get the tires heated pretty good I can hook descently from a 2nd gear roll from 50mph. I get my income tax tommorow which I am paying off alot of small bills. i will have about 500 bucks left. If I could find a good Nitrous kit for around that local I could throw a 100 shot on it...and then go have some fun.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
First thing I would suggest is that you get him to produce some sort of proof that he has run anything other than his mouth against you. State it just like that, in front of his friends, completely call him out on it.

Step two, also in front of his friends, ask him if it is the crowd, the scoreboard, or the car that scares him away from the track.

The second he stammers the slightest when responding to either question, start making fun of him for that too. One of two results will occur, he will cowboy up and meet you at the track or he will tuck tail and run.

Even if he does step up, remember that ever with all his power he is trying to move a 5K lbs truck with no weight over the rear wheels compared to your 3700ish car. Just get it off the line and through first gear clean and you will have a good margin for him to have to fight back from.
I agree with everything, except the last part. L's, when setup right, are straight up mean. BUT, I have a feeling this L isn't..........hence, my agreeing with everything else.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

gatta love dragtimes.com... based on those cars, hes prob at 12.0 off the bottle @ 18PSI, spraying hes at mid 11s

go from a 45 roll and youll take him NA... just be realll carefull
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kev SS
Speeking of supercharges How hard do you wreckon this was to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAS1...ext=1&index=24

I love the sound of these style chargers thinking about going this rout.
GMHTP did a article about installing a maggie on a f-body, it wasnt bad really they cut a tiny piece out of the cowl and even have a prefabbed piece of metal to bolt back up so it still looks ok, and bolted it right on. something like 120hp gains. and no bottle to refill. but i still love my bottle.

Quick Reply: Called out...by a Lightning o.O