Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

What ricers should I be aware of when taking on a street race?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What ricers should I be aware of when taking on a street race?

Its apparent that 99.98% of ricers on the road are all just slow POS and nothing more but alot of stickers and some 16 year old punk with his hat on sideways. I know sometime a rice-o-matic will pull next to my firehawk and want to race and could possibly leave me behind (if that did happen i would jump off a building), what should i look for or listen for to know that this one-in-a-million ricer might beat me? Could a civic with a supercharger and headers beat a Ws6, firehawk or SS?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well bewear of the obvious one supras, skylines, and gt3000s just listin for a big annoying blow off valve.... if they have doen any thing turbo wise they most likely will pop the $ for the big blow off vlave. other than that race em all just dont do it for chash or bragging rights... keep it friendly thats how i usualy play it
Old 11-20-2003, 03:53 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by cudaeh
well bewear of the obvious one supras, skylines, and gt3000s just listin for a big annoying blow off valve.... if they have doen any thing turbo wise they most likely will pop the $ for the big blow off vlave. other than that race em all just dont do it for chash or bragging rights... keep it friendly thats how i usualy play it
What he said but spelled correctly.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

snoogens ooh forgot to mention watch out for rx7's. done right there beasts.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cudaeh
Everyone always plays up the 3000gts. The last Vr4 I came up against I slaughtered. Wasn't even a close race. I got him by about 3 cars in the 1/8th. He was mild on mods but still I fear the TSI talons more so than the Vr4s. I will admit with the right mods the VR4s can be fast but I haven't had trouble with one yet. Look out for gutted cars and nasty sounding turbos. Never race for cash unless you know what you're up against. In other words research the car before you go for money.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the tsi all you rally have to do is keep running em till they spill there tranny all over the pavement... but yeah they are quick
Old 11-20-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea GT300 suck ***, beware of the WRX sti!! skylines are rare, but fast, supras of course.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok sorry i did put it worng there are to diffrent cars 3000gt and gt350... i messed up and sed gt3000... i ment 3000gt. they are quick stock but with some work they can screem ive seen em before but alot of people buy em and dont do much to them... i likes em so its kinda scued
Old 11-20-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only ones I'd worry about are the trailer queens...
otherwise, kick all their asses!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

You don't worry about rice at all. Rice means they do nothing but look fast. Beware of the ones that GO fast.They're alot harder to spot.

From what I hear WRX's can be quick I just haven't seen one while I have been in my T/A. I have waxed two of them with nothing more than a lid and cutout.Raced one of them 100% stock and beat him handily (got video if anyone can reccommend a good hosting service)

I haven't seen a single "slow" turbo Supra.But most people I run into can't drive worth a ****.

Seeing a Skyline in my area would be like the second coming of Jesus so that's not a problem

3000GT VR4 is about 800lbs overweight so no concern there.

There is one BAD *** Starion with a turbo buick motor in this area that is not to be toyed with

I once saw a high 12 second white Nissan with a body-kit that makes it hard to tell what it is.It was real boxy and had a 4cylinder if that helps.Never would have thought this one could move out.

The Evolution I saw at the strip ran 14.0 which got beat by a Mustang MACH1 so that's a non-concern.

I have only seen two RX7's race in real life and one of them broke. 50/50 is not a good reliability ratio in my book.

these are just my experiences. That doesn't mean they apply everywhere....
Old 11-20-2003, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Watch out for the 1st and 2nd generation Talons/eclipses they can be NASTY. Also the Supras, RX7's, EVOS and STI's. Watch for anything gutted. I have noticed that the imports that are not riced out but more subtely (sp) modded in the appearance department are usually the quicker ones. Go figure
Old 11-20-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

flatt out you thought enough $ at somthing you can make it as fast as you want.. what you want to look for is the stock riceburners that are fast outta the factory. unfortunetly the only ones that made it to the state were the supras.that and watch out for the guys that look like they have money. nothing worse than loosing to a preppy *** ritch boy
Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

There is nothing you can really look out for.

There are civics, preludes, and probes running 10's (and that's just what has been at the local track).
Old 11-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

"There are civics, preludes, and probes running 10's (and that's just what has been at the local track)." Some people have to much time, and money.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_z
Watch out for the 1st and 2nd generation Talons/eclipses they can be NASTY. Also the Supras, RX7's, EVOS and STI's. Watch for anything gutted. I have noticed that the imports that are not riced out but more subtely (sp) modded in the appearance department are usually the quicker ones. Go figure

They call that style JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) evenb though alot of these guys are mainly concerned with having real japanese parts the by-product of this are real race engineered parts that do in fact work being put ont their vehicles.

I agree with you I have noticed this.

It also seems to me that the ugly stripped out ones are faster than the trailer queen three foot high wing crowd.

I don't care what they look like. If a car pulls up to me and wants to go, I'll go.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Skylines aren't streetable around here, I thought the driver side was on the wrong side, anyways, anything I mean anything can surprise you.
1. roll your window and listen carefully to exhaust and for loud turbo whine.
2. study the interior for anything out of place such as: A/F guages, racing seats, weird buttons or bottles, gutted out parts (purposely gone,not cause its a POS).
3. decide if driver is really bad ***, or just trying to look like 2F2F actor.

my list of what I've seen fast on street lately:
a supra turbo, 2 RX7s and a WRXsti(kinda)
*countless-Vipers,Z28s,vetts,cobras etc...*
As previously stated, don't ever bet if you don't know. 10% chance you will meet one that knows what they're doing.
*If you lose, just remember that you are by far on the winning side!*
Old 11-20-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

My friend has a stock lancer that he managed to completely redo with an evo 8 engine and tranny but the interior and exterior looks stock except for 1 window decal and the evo rims with lo-pros he's running 11's due to weight reductions and a turbo upgrade and other stuff I guess but watch out for those evo 8's I didnt take them seriously until my friend paid me $20 to test drive one....they seriously will throw your head back right off the showroom
Old 11-20-2003, 10:32 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by lerajie
I don't care what they look like. If a car pulls up to me and wants to go, I'll go.
That's what I'm sayin'.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:39 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
Skylines aren't streetable around here, I thought the driver side was on the wrong side, anyways, anything I mean anything can surprise you.
*If you lose, just remember that you are by far on the winning side!*
There's only one place that you can get a U.S. approved skyline........California.
They come from japan used, and still cost you a nut, but you can get one. Still with the right hand drive.
But yeah, you'll still be on the winning side.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill race any one for ***** and giggles the only time i wont is when i know they are going to relentlessly mock me if i lose. i rarly ever race people for $ im a college student so i dont have the extra cash laying around. the only people i do race for money are ones that think my car is a v6 and people i know 100% that i can win. (friend in a stock focus thats feeling cocky that day).
flatt out all the ricers know what f-bodys can do. they know what they produce stock. so if one pulls up next to you and wants to race for $ definetly beware.
the only one that i saw that was realy fast but dident look it was my friends 98 celica totaly stock from the outside but he put in a gt-4 motor and a gt transmission so he had the torque and horse power for 4wd powering just the front two wheels. that car was smoking fast and thats was with the gt-4 stock engine.

Quick Reply: What ricers should I be aware of when taking on a street race?