Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Do these 1/8th mile times seem right???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do these 1/8th mile times seem right???

Got this car as is... Was told it was built to be a highway driver, and was to be streetable as possible (just about like stock). Said it dyno'd around 380 I believe as well, but I really dont care what a dyno says opposed to e.t.'s
99Z28
Engine
Livernois CNC ported 243 heads and 1.8 rockers.(http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...der-Heads.html)
218 cam, unsure of full specs of the cam
Ls6 intake
Stainless long tubes>Y>magnaflow muffler>dual outs
SLP lid

Trans
Built A4 with 3400rpm stall
poly mount

Suspension
Adjustable UMI torque arm
control arms
panhard
etc....
Progressive rate edelbrock rear shocks and adjustable fronts on eibach lowering springs

Tires
Sumitomo HTRZ2 285/35/18

Heres the kicker....
2.73 gears and a thunder racing rear cover for the rear end...

Car is very mildly done, runs great and its almost hard to notice it has a cam at idle. A reliable sleeper thats solidly built for sure...

Heres my best pass from the other night leaving at about 2400rpm~ ps, first time on track in over 3 years

60ft 1.93
et 8.40
mph 85.41

I'm assuming the transmission is done pretty well also b/c It ran 3 8.40 passes at 85.38, 85.39, 85.41mph. Definately a consistant creature for my rusty driving

It feels like its just starting to get going by the end of the 1/8th so I'm thinking a 3.42 gear swap will help wake it up? Any opinions or suggestions?

I've thought about pitching in a bigger cam, or getting a fast intake or bottle setup etc but I'm just not sure which way to go yet on getting this baby to perform a bit better. Not that its not doing good so far, I just know that theres plenty of room for growth on top of the solid build it already has.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

60ft isn't great, need to get that down. Some drag radials would help a lot.

Times are kinda slow for a stalled/cam/head car but how was the DA?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

gears should help out a good amount, better tires to get out of the hole harder especially if you go with new gears. i'd keep the cam if you like the "sleeperness" of your car. our ls motors do love nitrous though and that would probably be your best bang for the buck if you don't mind running the juice...

sounds like a good start. any pictures of the car?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
60ft isn't great, need to get that down. Some drag radials would help a lot.

Times are kinda slow for a stalled/cam/head car but how was the DA?
Yeah I think the tune is really rich. Will puff some black smoke lol. not sure on DA, but it was Around 60* out.

I thought it was a bit slow as well and was why I was wondering how much a 3.42 would help...

It's just a pig in 1st and out of the hole and they've got it shifting at 5900 in 1st
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you will benefit mostly from a tune. The gears won't make the mph change much at all. The gears will help the ET out alot though.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't touch the gears, you can cut 1.5s with 2.73s... Even with the 2.73s and that small converter (depending on the brand) you can cut some 1.7s. I personally wouldn't touch them, if you HAVE to do it because the gears will help SOOOO much switch them to 3.42s. BTW.. The main things the gears will help in your car is 1/4 mile, since you don't hit 90mph (3rd gear) in the 1/8, in won't effect much.

FIRST thing I would do.. Get a drag radial under the car and see what it will actually run. Stalled autos and street tires don't mix. I was running those times bone stock.

Second, I would look into the tune.

After those two, then see where you stand and reevaluate everything.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
Don't touch the gears, you can cut 1.5s with 2.73s... Even with the 2.73s and that small converter (depending on the brand) you can cut some 1.7s. I personally wouldn't touch them, if you HAVE to do it because the gears will help SOOOO much switch them to 3.42s. BTW.. The main things the gears will help in your car is 1/4 mile, since you don't hit 90mph (3rd gear) in the 1/8, in won't effect much.

FIRST thing I would do.. Get a drag radial under the car and see what it will actually run. Stalled autos and street tires don't mix. I was running those times bone stock.

Second, I would look into the tune.

After those two, then see where you stand and reevaluate everything.
Gotcha... But, if I'm not spinning now on the track then how will my 60' time drop that much with slicks? It felt like my car dead hooked. Sure, I was only leaving from 2400 or so but it felt solid haha.

I really don't care all that much about the track, but then again that's what I'm basing this discussion on. The 1/4 and the street are my main concerns, but it's awful hard to get an accurate butt dyno reading

Thanks for the help and discussion everyone.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I find it very, very hard to believe that those tires are hooking you. Those are the same that everyone runs in 315s cause they are cheap, right?

If you are hooking with those and a stalled a4, your track prep is out of this world!!

Got anybody you can borrow a set for a pass?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

If you could get that 60ft down to a 1.7 you would be much better. That could be another couple tenths off of your 1/8 mile and 3 tenths off a 1/4 mile run.

I cut a 1.7 with BFG drag radials with 42 psi in my first run laucnhing off idle. So I know it is possible with a 2.73 car.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

My buddies setup...

Full weight 98 Trans Am
228 cam
pacesetter LTs
2.5 Xpipe
1 chambers
273 gears
lid
4000 PTC
trans cooler
tune
2500 DA

He cuts 1.5X short times.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

My buddies setup...

Full weight 98 Trans Am
228 cam
pacesetter LTs
2.5 Xpipe
1 chambers
273 gears
lid
4000 PTC
trans cooler
tune
2500 DA

He cuts 1.5X short times.
Right on man! Good motivation to just keep the gears in for now and play around them until they NEED to be replaced

Track prep was pretty good I'd say, considering they had a street stang hook and pull a 5.5x at 135mph. I need to play around more and stall it up higher and practice for next time so I can brake to the stall a bit more. It had been a long time since I was on the track and the pro tree jacks with me so I wasnt paying enough attention to where I was launching.

And yes the tires are the cheap *** sumitomo's. Guy gave them to me with the car brand new so I figured I'd throw em on for now anyways.

I'm gonna get a cutout and take it up to GREAD tuning and have it tuned and see whats up and then go from there. Figure its probably best to make sure its not all outta whack before I start modding it a bit to my own taste.

I'm guessing it should be right at the 400mark or so but we will see here in the next few weeks...

Hoping to get it tuned and **** in time to make it to the 1/4 track to make a couple passes before winter.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I find it very, very hard to believe that those tires are hooking you. Those are the same that everyone runs in 315s cause they are cheap, right?

If you are hooking with those and a stalled a4, your track prep is out of this world!!

Got anybody you can borrow a set for a pass?
BTW, this is my first auto car I've ever owned so not being to the track in a long time, plus being an auto newb definately throws some variables in to this... I just figured it had to be hooking pretty darn well to throw down 3 8.40 passes all within .03mph of eachother...

I wont argue that I may be missing something here
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Right on man! Good motivation to just keep the gears in for now and play around them until they NEED to be replaced

Track prep was pretty good I'd say, considering they had a street stang hook and pull a 5.5x at 135mph. I need to play around more and stall it up higher and practice for next time so I can brake to the stall a bit more. It had been a long time since I was on the track and the pro tree jacks with me so I wasnt paying enough attention to where I was launching.

And yes the tires are the cheap *** sumitomo's. Guy gave them to me with the car brand new so I figured I'd throw em on for now anyways.

I'm gonna get a cutout and take it up to GREAD tuning and have it tuned and see whats up and then go from there. Figure its probably best to make sure its not all outta whack before I start modding it a bit to my own taste.

I'm guessing it should be right at the 400mark or so but we will see here in the next few weeks...

Hoping to get it tuned and **** in time to make it to the 1/4 track to make a couple passes before winter.
Gears in autos do little to nothing, especially in the 1/4. Only difference people usually see is ditching 2.73s in the 1/4 because of the 3rd gear lag/95mph.

Try just raising the RPMs to 1000 and then stabbing the throttle. It should allow the converter to flash higher to get a better "hit" out of the hole.
Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
BTW, this is my first auto car I've ever owned so not being to the track in a long time, plus being an auto newb definately throws some variables in to this... I just figured it had to be hooking pretty darn well to throw down 3 8.40 passes all within .03mph of eachother...

I wont argue that I may be missing something here
The 8.4 is irrelevant... A 3400 converter should be cutting 1.7s without a problem.
I cut mid 1.9s with a 98 Trans am full weight with a LM muffler and a lid, not even free mods.

Get your 60' figured out (better converter, better tune, better tires... Whatever it may be) and you should be in the 7s.

What brand is the converter?

My buddies setup I listed above ran 7.8s@88 BEFORE the cam or the tune cutting a bottom 1.6 short time.

Quick Reply: Do these 1/8th mile times seem right???