Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

How much horsepower from this part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much horsepower from this part?

Recently ordered this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS6-Trans-Am-Camaro-ported-throttle-body-/320541908896?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa1c95fa0&vxp=mtr
Also purchased the coolant bypass lines, supposed to be good for another 2-3HP they say?

I'll be putting it in next week. Anything I should expect with this? Difficulties? Issues? Horsepower gains? Increased throttle response? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the throttle body and the bypass won't make the car feel any different. The engine will get some more air, ported Throttle bodies flow more air than stockers, no doubt. No real concerns putting it in, will take a few minutes and is plug and play. Make sure you get a high flowing air filter, like a K&N type filte, get a 85mm SLP MAF for it, that will open up the input to the intake. descreen your MAF, or buy the SLP 85mm and put in a photomesh type screen, and put on a 25% underdrive pulley, you will feel all those differences combined for about 25hp at least.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RJDio
Just the throttle body and the bypass won't make the car feel any different. The engine will get some more air, ported Throttle bodies flow more air than stockers, no doubt. No real concerns putting it in, will take a few minutes and is plug and play. Make sure you get a high flowing air filter, like a K&N type filte, get a 85mm SLP MAF for it, that will open up the input to the intake. descreen your MAF, or buy the SLP 85mm and put in a photomesh type screen, and put on a 25% underdrive pulley, you will feel all those differences combined for about 25hp at least.

I have an SLP air lid, hopefully between the two of them I'll get some sort of noticeable gain.

Is it recommended to disconnect the battery so the car relearns the tune?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need supporting mods to make use of the added air flow ability of the ported TB. Like a CAI, headers/exhaust system, and performance cam and tune.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
You need supporting mods to make use of the added air flow ability of the ported TB. Like a CAI, headers/exhaust system, and performance cam and tune.
This will be the third modification I've made to the car, all minor ones.

-Cat-back exhaust
-SLP air lid
-Ported & Polished TB with coolant bypass lines

Between the three will I be gaining much or feel any difference? I haven't put the TB in yet, but I hope I can at least feel better throttle response or something.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoHope
I have an SLP air lid, hopefully between the two of them I'll get some sort of noticeable gain.

Is it recommended to disconnect the battery so the car relearns the tune?
oh yea I forgot about the lid. I wouldn't worry about disconnecting battery since the metered air won't change very much, just plug and play with the new Throttle Body. when you put it on, before you put on the lid, ask someone to step in car and push pedal all the way down to the floorboard, look at the Throttle body blade, make sure your new throttle body blade is fully opened, and see if you can open it more with the throttle wheel, if everything is nice and tight and your blade is fully opened you are ready to rock with it. The reason why i say that, is because throttle body cables can stretch and you may lose power if throttle body isn't fully opened at wide open throttle. good luck!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea I forgot about the lid. I wouldn't worry about disconnecting battery since the metered air won't change very much, just plug and play with the new Throttle Body. when you put it on, before you put on the lid, ask someone to step in car and push pedal all the way down to the floorboard, look at the Throttle body blade, make sure your new throttle body blade is fully opened, and see if you can open it more with the throttle wheel, if everything is nice and tight and your blade is fully opened you are ready to rock with it. The reason why i say that, is because throttle body cables can stretch and you may lose power if throttle body isn't fully opened at wide open throttle. good luck!
Hey thanks, I hope this helps!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not worry about the maf or descreening the stock one. Your stock maf is more than enough and taking the screen out will cause more problems than gain power.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bww3588
Do not worry about the maf or descreening the stock one. Your stock maf is more than enough and taking the screen out will cause more problems than gain power.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say do not remove the screen, it's there for a reason. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

The ported tb should be good for a couple horsepower. I installed a Shaner S3 when my mods were almost identical to yours and noticed a difference. My throttle body was ported, bump stop, and the inside epoxied with flush fittings for air.

Do not take advise from anyone telling you to buy a SLP MAF.

The ported tb should be good for a couple horsepower. I installed a Shaner S3 when my mods were almost identical to yours and noticed a difference. My throttle body was ported, bump stop, and the inside epoxied with flush fittings for air.

Do not take advice from anyone telling you to buy a SLP MAF.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did the Shaner S3 TB as well. Another cheap mod that you might want to consider is the ram air mod...like a SSRA or similar. I just bought one as well
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the Potz throttle body, well worth the price. I noticed noticeable difference from stock
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I just did the Shaner S3 TB as well. Another cheap mod that you might want to consider is the ram air mod...like a SSRA or similar. I just bought one as well
Lol, that won't be cheap for me. I have the SS, no ram air on my hood, and hoods are over $500 for a replica, before paint and installation, I'd be better off getting a set of headers and a tune.

Originally Posted by smg267

Do not take advise from anyone telling you to buy a SLP MAF.

Is the bump stop the coolant bypass lines?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
Lol, that won't be cheap for me. I have the SS, no ram air on my hood, and hoods are over $500 for a replica, before paint and installation, I'd be better off getting a set of headers and a tune.
I got mine for like $170. You don't need a ram air hood for this.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Did the chick holding the throttle body come with it?.............
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smg267

Do not take advice from anyone telling you to buy a SLP MAF.
why don't you like the SLP MAF? I've ran mine for years with zero issues, and my car sits next to some pretty radical LS motors at meets that have it. I had it descreened for a long time - no issues. I installed photomesh screen on recently so my tuner wouldn't have any drama with dialing on the dyno. But I realize there is always a negative story out there with some mods.
Attached Thumbnails How much horsepower from this part?-screen4.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think autos have more of an issue with the descreen MAF than the manuals, but this is pulling memory from a decade ago... I've never descreened any MAF's on my LS1 cars, so I can't comment on them being fine with a 6 speed; I generally er on the side of caution when it comes to electronics... but, that's just me.

Anyway, I have a Potz ported throttle body. I put it on right after I did my lid. I noticed throttle response was a lot smoother; however, it may have been a placebo. Nonetheless, I'm happy and have no regrets.

You might as well port the bottom of the air box while you're doing everything else (search "Free Ram Air" or take a look at www.installuniversity.com ).
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt feel a differance with any of my bolt ons. basically the cam was the only thing, and the stall. but i know that car went faster.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Launching!

I've seen this pop up many,many times on quite a few GM forums. Don't take the screen out of your MAFs, it messes with the air flow over the sensor big time. Not as evident when off idle, but smoothness of air flow at idle is horrible without the screen
When you install the body, plug everything in, then with the key in the on position, engine NOT running, unplug the TPS sensor. Cycle the key on and off three times. Then with key off plug TPS back in. This will set your TPS to 0% with the new TB in your PCM. If you have access to a TECH2 or HPTuners, you can verify the reset was done properly

Last edited by MMWS6; 03-23-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: How much horsepower from this part?