Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

TSP Torquer V3 231/234 .643/598

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP Torquer V3 231/234 .643/598

Im putting a Texas Speed Torquer V3 231/234 .643/598 cam in my 02 35th Anniversary Z28, along with pacesetter headers and hooker aerochamber exhaust. I was just wondering about how much HP i would gain from stock with this setup.. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails TSP Torquer V3 231/234 .643/598-my-z28.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

M6 or auto? You will see 390-410whp I would think.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm assuming your car is a street car, correct? In that case, automatic or manual trans doesn't matter, don't use it. There are much much better cam options for a street car than a LSK lobe cam. They are extremely aggressive on the valvetrain. I'm curious, did someone suggest or who suggested that cam to you? What were your deciding factors to go with the Torquer V3?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

380-405
Old 01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I'm assuming your car is a street car, correct? In that case, automatic or manual trans doesn't matter, don't use it. There are much much better cam options for a street car than a LSK lobe cam. They are extremely aggressive on the valvetrain. I'm curious, did someone suggest or who suggested that cam to you? What were your deciding factors to go with the Torquer V3?
This. If the car is your daily driver, you may want to reconsider and get something a little more tame. You'll be replacing valve springs every 20,000 miles with that cam. If that's the lifestyle you want then go for it
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
This. If the car is your daily driver, you may want to reconsider and get something a little more tame. You'll be replacing valve springs every 20,000 miles with that cam. If that's the lifestyle you want then go for it
Agreed.

No point in it either really. The heads flow for **** at that lift and you can make just as much power with a different cam that doesn't wear out parts...
Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 PM

thanks guys. This car is my DD at the moment, HOWEVER, I do have other plans for it come the next few months. I will be putting some more $$ into it, and converting it into a drag car. it has the M6 in it. R6, my mechanic suggested that this was the biggest cam that I can get and still maintain driveability. THanks again, guys.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah you can go a lot bigger than that and have decent driveability. I've riden in 24x/24x cars that weren't bad at all. Its all in a good dyno and street tune....and that cam is not that tuner friendly.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aphelps32
thanks guys. This car is my DD at the moment, HOWEVER, I do have other plans for it come the next few months. I will be putting some more $$ into it, and converting it into a drag car. it has the M6 in it. R6, my mechanic suggested that this was the biggest cam that I can get and still maintain driveability. THanks again, guys.
Does your mechanic understand LSK lobes? Did they inform you that the Torquer V3 uses LSK intake lobes which has very aggressive ramp rates and is extremely hard on valvetrain parts? Did they tell you lightweight valves are highly recommended to avoid valvefloat at high rpms? Heavy stainless steel valves are not ideal at all with that cam. Did they suggest using thicker pushrods due to that very aggressive ramp rate? The biggest cam and maintaining driveability is not the concern here, camshaft lobe aggressiveness is. The Torquer V3 is a downright terrible cam for street use. I ran that exact cam once before, bad mistake. I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but like the rest who understand that cam and posted here, I’m just trying to help ya make the best decision.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 01-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LSK lobe is aggressive but with a good spring they can be daily driven. It's been done countless times. The v3 is one of the most common cams we sell and we never get calls with issues nor have we had any problems of our own. Sure, I would recommend checking the springs around 20k miles, but I'd make that same recommendation with any large cam regardless of the lobe. Its just part of the game.

I'm not saying that's the cam you need, or not. It really depends on what all you are wanting to do but it can be daily driven.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

The V3 can certainly be daily driven, so can many other cams. That doesn't mean it's a very good choice cam to be in a daily driver if you want to take valvetrain longevity into consideration, which why would anyone not with a street car. I don't think there's one vendor on this site who custom specs cams that will spec an LSK lobe for a street car application.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check sig. this is on a stock ~90k mile motor. its my spring/summer vehicle. I love the cam, who cares if I need springs every 20K miles. i don't put 5K a year on mine. if I wanted to save money I would've kept it stock. im constantly upgrading parts anyways, its a never ending sickness lol. I run that exact cam on a 112 lsa. I get compliments all the time of the exhaust/lope sounds.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
check sig. this is on a stock ~90k mile motor. its my spring/summer vehicle. I love the cam, who cares if I need springs every 20K miles. i don't put 5K a year on mine. if I wanted to save money I would've kept it stock. im constantly upgrading parts anyways, its a never ending sickness lol. I run that exact cam on a 112 lsa. I get compliments all the time of the exhaust/lope sounds.
Saving money and wasting money are two separate things.
I've had the cam and a custom one just like it.
When your springs can't control the nasty ramp it has do you think nothing else wears out.

Pulling the heads to replace lifters isn't cheap, or replacing the cam when the lifters bounce off it because the springs can't control it.

But it does make a good sound
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

running btr .660 springs. no issues so far. I know it wears things out. im having heads built right now for it. I do mine own labor so I save money on that end. I guess if someone was on a tight budget and paid for labor, probably not the best one. but I love it. I could've use other ones but I liked the power and sound it made but I also know the downsides to the cam. my car isn't a DD and it doesn't get driven in bad weather. if this was my only car and traveled a lot for work, I may look for a different cam. this is why its good to know "your purpose" for the cam, because everyone's can be different.

I don't consider it wasting money. some people believe adding anything to a car is a waste of money so it depends on the person I guess. I run my car hard at the track. I put good parts in it and hope for the best. worn out/broken parts are part of racing. at the dragstrip its not "IF" you're going to break its "WHEN" is how I look at it. not trying to start an argument.

Quick Reply: TSP Torquer V3 231/234 .643/598