Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

getting new clutch installed at SSP --- EDIT: Rear is going - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting new clutch installed at SSP --- EDIT: Rear is going - need advice

Dropped the bird off with Charlie at Sick Speed Performance yesterday to have my new Monster Stage 2 clutch, Tick master, speed bleeder and Energy Susp trans mount installed and have the car tuned.

Charlie seems like a great guy and really knows his stuff. He took to time to bs for a while and show me around the shop and his projects. Its nice being able to deal with a person and not a company. Probably wont get back to pick it up till friday, but i can't wait to see how it comes out!

Anyone else have any experience with SSP? Ive heard nothing but good things.

Last edited by APG12; 06-30-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Default Sick Speed

Charlie is one of the very few who I will even allow to work on any of my cars. Supercharged ZO6, Turbocharged Camaro SS Convertible., Procharged Corvette. Has done Motors , Trans, Clutches, Rears. Suspension Etc, Always fair and dosent sell you things you dont need. Car comes back clean and right. I highly recommend Charles.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Launching!

I highly recommend him as well. He has put a new motor in my car with a cam and heads package. Converted it from an automatic to a 6spd as well. Knows his stuff and takes pride in what he does. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to hear guys. Im sure ill be more than happy when I get it back.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Yea charlies a good guy.... He installed my PRC heads and tuned my T/A after. Nice clean shop and he knows what he's doing.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

charlie is definitely good people. looking forward to tearin up his dyno again once this turbo decides to install itself in my car lol
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never had my car dyno'd so I'm curious to see what it runs. It's mostly stock so I'm not expecting much out of it, but it will be nice to know.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Charlie will take good care of you.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

I've met Charlie before, had a dyno day there. Nice guy and seemed to know his stuff. I've heard good things about his work, but I've had a friend get charged for the tune where he only changed the MAF as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
I've met Charlie before, had a dyno day there. Nice guy and seemed to know his stuff. I've heard good things about his work, but I've had a friend get charged for the tune where he only changed the MAF as well.
Thank you for the kind words guys. Lets get the facts straight 1st I no exactly the car your talking about which was a bolt on tune. I dialed in the Afr someone else already put timing in the car and i did not want to add any more at that point , He took care of all the codes, customer picked up 25rwhp threw an auto and left happy...At that point there is nothing more i could do.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
Thank you for the kind words guys. Lets get the facts straight 1st I no exactly the car your talking about which was a bolt on tune. I dialed in the Afr someone else already put timing in the car and i did not want to add any more at that point , He took care of all the codes, customer picked up 25rwhp threw an auto and left happy...At that point there is nothing more i could do.
Theres always two sides to every story. Based on the time I spent bs-ing with you the other day, it's easy to see you have very good business ethics.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APG12
Theres always two sides to every story. Based on the time I spent bs-ing with you the other day, it's easy to see you have very good business ethics.
Some people can't seem to grasp the concept that time is money. Why should SSP charge less if it wasn't properly tuned the first time No need to mess with any idle and part throttle tables in the tune on a bolt on car. Also, his buddy posted how happy he was with his tune on njfboa
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
I actually suggested he go to Charlie in the first place. I didn't know that information about the tune.

Very true. That's why I said I'd met Charlie and said he was a good guy and seemed to know his stuff. I have several other friends who swear by him.

Originally Posted by 440LSX
Some people can't seem to grasp the concept that time is money. Why should SSP charge less if it wasn't properly tuned the first time No need to mess with any idle and part throttle tables in the tune on a bolt on car. Also, his buddy posted how happy he was with his tune on njfboa
I was under the impression that his car was on the stock tune prior to going up to you guys.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I hear from Charlie today that the clutch is done, but he took it for a drive and said the rear is just about ready to blow so he doesn't want to risk putting it on the dyno. I knew it was making noise and on its way out, but didn't really know it was that bad.

Definitely appreciate the fact that he called me to tell me instead of just charging for the dyno/tune and risking blowing it up. Now I need to figure out what to do about a new rear. Really want to get a MWC fab 9 but I don't really have the money. On the other hand, I'd hate to waste several hundred rebuilding mine or swapping in another one that's just gonna blow again when I can put that money towards something strong that will last forever.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

So I hear from Charlie today that the clutch is done, but he took it for a drive and said the rear is just about ready to blow so he doesn't want to risk putting it on the dyno. I knew it was making noise and on its way out, but didn't really know it was that bad.

Definitely appreciate the fact that he called me to tell me instead of just charging for the dyno/tune and risking blowing it up. Now I need to figure out what to do about a new rear. Really want to get a MWC fab 9 but I don't really have the money. On the other hand, I'd hate to waste several hundred rebuilding mine or swapping in another one that's just gonna blow again when I can put that money towards something strong that will last forever.
Honestly would not rebuild the stock if you're looking to upgrade.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 440LSX
Honestly would not rebuild the stock if you're looking to upgrade.
Definitely looking to upgrade in the future. I think the posi might be going, so I'm not gonna waste my time with a rebuild. It's either swap in another good used 10 bolt or upgrade to something stronger.

Im thinking about going with the fab 9 and billet clutch posi. Im pretty much stock and really just do street driving, but I plan to do full bolt ons, heads/cam and maybe a little spray in the near future. I might take it to the track occasionally but I'm more interested in street driving so I don't want a spool or locker. Also the build time with MWC will give me some time so save up.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to pick the car up tonight. Hopefully it makes it home in one piece lol.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the new clutch and master feel great. Charlie did great work and went out of his way to take care of a few other things for me. Can't beat his prices either.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Well the new clutch and master feel great. Charlie did great work and went out of his way to take care of a few other things for me. Can't beat his prices either.
Please dont rebuild the 10bolt.....i made that mistake myself and wasted 800.00 on parts and labor to rebuild with new gears/posi. It lasted me 2 months before it started whining and clunking again and that is with a built auto. Do it right the first time. I got my Moser 9" and will never put a dime into another 10bolt.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
Please dont rebuild the 10bolt.....i made that mistake myself and wasted 800.00 on parts and labor to rebuild with new gears/posi. It lasted me 2 months before it started whining and clunking again and that is with a built auto. Do it right the first time. I got my Moser 9" and will never put a dime into another 10bolt.
Yea I've already ruled that out. Now im just deciding what aftermarker rear to go with.