Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Frustrated, finished auto degree, no job

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated, finished auto degree, no job

I've been in college for the last 3 1/2 years for a bachelor degree in Automotive Management. Basically it's 1.5 years of Auto Tech training and 2 years of business management courses, some auto specific (fleet, service, + parts management). So at this point I'm supposed to know how to fix your car and run the business too.

Now I need a job for internship credit in order to graduate. Problem is I've been searching for a month and applied to at least 12 shops but no luck. My resume is well-written but I have no experience working in an auto shop, even though I've done plenty of auto work.

How did u guys get your auto careers started?

Also any job leads would be appreciated!! I'll do anything, tool manufacturing, fleet management, tire sales, u name it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you applying to shops that have positions open, or are you just handing out your resume randomly?

If you're applying for jobs that are open and not getting them, maybe ask for some constructive criticism. Ask the Service manager if he minds telling you why you didn't get the job.

Sometimes it's as simple as how you come across. Could be you're applying for a job you're not qualified for, even though you have an education.

Are you applying for a legit internship, or an actual job? I would think it would be easy to get an internship.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Teching In

With the amount of dealerships that have closed over the past 5 years or so, the Automotive job market has become more selective for employers. I run a service department for a used car franchise and i get flooded with applicants everytime we look for someone. Also a lot of shops wont hire without some experience. Your best bet at an internship is most likely going to be a quick lube joint or a tire and brake service center. Dont give up, its a tough economy and shops just arent that busy like they used to be.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM

maybe try small dealerships that need one guy to run most of their stuff..
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I think my lack of shop experience is killing me. I check local job adds everyday and apply to open positions. Maybe employers don't understand they can pay me less when I tell them I'm looking for an internship.. their loss

I think I'll have to start at the entry level jobs, like a lube service tech.. better than no job. It is frustrating to see a high school kid with a job i can't even get. I swear the guy who sold me tires at sears looked 15 (he messed up my order, twice).
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

I think the automotive field is something where experience means as much or more than a piece of paper. More than likely you're gonna have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i went to an automotive school for just over a year. job isnt guaranteed. i applied to many places and i got lucky and found a job after only 2 months. but i have friends who couldnt find a job in the auto business.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you live?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

A degree does not guarantee any job. You should not really be frustrated after 1 month of looking when other people have been trying to find work for a lot longer, that's the real world. The only thing you can do is keep applying.

How can you have no assistance through your school to get help interning? I also thought interns weren't supposed to be paid? At least the ones I have meant weren't, they were only earning credits. Maybe if you're expecting money while interning that's why they are not hiring you.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have people stop by for jobs. They got a degree or went to an auto school. The degree and schooling mean nothing with no experience. Sucks but would of been a better start if you started the feild in high school and went with it through college to build up experience.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Are you applying for a legit internship, or an actual job? I would think it would be easy to get an internship.
Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
How can you have no assistance through your school to get help interning? I also thought interns weren't supposed to be paid? At least the ones I have meant weren't, they were only earning credits. Maybe if you're expecting money while interning that's why they are not hiring you.
That's why I asked what I did above. A true internship isn't paid. A lot of shops would be happy to get free labor, as well as find out what kind of employee and person you are. You go in to a shop and "volunteer" to help out, you'll get something.

Try pitching them a "deal". "I'll work for you for 2 weeks for free. If you're happy with me, you start paying me. If not, I'll move on".
Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

You can get a job washing dishes any time. Skilled positions are not always open. You need not panic after one month. Just bang every door in your area at least once a month. Something will pop up. It is just timing. It will come.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We have people stop by for jobs. They got a degree or went to an auto school. The degree and schooling mean nothing with no experience. Sucks but would of been a better start if you started the feild in high school and went with it through college to build up experience.
This 100%. I never understood why people went to college to work with cars. Get a part time auto repair job while taking classes at a community college or tech school would net better results.

FYI my last year of high school I took a part time job working on trucks for a beer distributor. That summer I went to full time.

Meanwhile 3 of my friends took full time classes at uti. When they graduated they all started at the same pay I was making with 0 schooling the summer before.

2 of them still work in the auto industry. The other became a waiter after working at a GM dealer for a few years. Base pay in the auto industry sucks till you prove yourself. As it should.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to school a bit ago, and in a different path, but internships that were paid were like unicorns. Most people just sucked it up and did it for free.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

(In my IT job) I have had about a 1/2 dozen interns work for me here. Most do their time and move on to other jobs. But I even brought on a guy that did really well, and now he works for us.

Just don't give up, and first and foremost I would think an intership is more about getting your credits than getting paid for work. I think you would be more successful if you push that aspect of it more. Most companies will have some type of intern program. Getting help without using money from the yearly budget is always a good thing!

P.S
Even though I brought that guy on, we still call him "Intern" just to annoy him!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 17 I got a paid internship. I was working at dodge didn't like it there. People got screwed over all the time. So now I got a paid internship at subaru. When you go in to apply be sure to talk to the service manager there. That's how I got mine. I went in wearing jeans and a t shirt and just talked to him. Not sure if your just asking an employee for an application and filling it out and handing it back. I have a 2 year automotive program at my high school so that helped a little. If your around Northern Va I could probably get you a job at 1 of the 2 I worked at.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Just out of curiosity, did you accept governement funding to pay for your school? Were grants involved or loans? The reason I ask is I find it funny that they can put a requirement for you to graduate that you have an internship. Basically they're withholding your degree until they can verify and you sign off that you're working in the field in which you were trained. Nice easy way for them to say "hey we have a 100% placement rate". Also the governement doesn't hold their feet to the fire on placement and governement funding. The school needs to help you find a job. Give you places to go apply to. Withholding your degree is a God awful scam to me! Damn shame. My company owns over 100 colleges, universities and we're faced with not only making sure the student gets placed into the field he/she was trained for but also to make sure they're making enough money to easily pay off their loans and recoup their investment into education. Crazy that they can get away with this.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your school should offer some sort of assistance in finding you an internship, especially since it's a requirement to earn your degree. I'd speak with your advisor immediately. Best of luck.

You should be proud of yourself for your schooling -- do not get discouraged.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Just as everyone else has said, its a tough economy. Alot of people are struggling to find A job even something outside their field of study. I for example graduated college with an aeronautical science degree and a multi-commercial pilot's license. Only thing I was able to find right out of college was a dead end job working at a call center.

Employers want experience. People right out of college don't have that, so your kinda stuck in a void.

As everyone else has also said keep applying! Something will turn up.

You WILL get discouraged, it comes with the tons of applications you apply for and no returns. Just put it aside and keep going.

Good luck with your search!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
Instead of working for a tire and break service place, if you have 20 - 30k put away you could always lease a shop and start your own business.
This is not the way to go for a young guy just getting started. An education is one thing and experience is another.

Go out and work in the field. Learn on somebody else's dime in an established system. Then after a year or two, work in another place, and maybe another after that. Then start your own business.

While you are out there "cutting your teeth", you will learn about their systems in inventory, accounting, cost control, customer service, employee relations and so much more.

Then, when you start your business, you will have the confidence and experience to launch your success.

How do I know? How about a 20 year career in automotive management reaching a 6 figure income?