Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

carlisle gm nationals

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carlisle gm nationals

Anybody go the the gm nationals ? I was thinking about going this year, Ive been to the the ford nationals several times and wasnt that impressed. Just wondered if there are allot of f- body cars that show up .
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only missed one year since 2001 - I already have my showfield pass for this year

However, I've been to the Ford and Mopar shows, and they're better.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I go every year. Keep a look out for these.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still debating between the GMs @ Carlisle or the Camaro Nats @ Frederick.(same weekend) I went to Frederick last year instead of Carlisle, and liked it. Downtown Frederick on Friday night was fun. And even though I didn't go, I heard there was some fun at 75/80 that night too. Carlisle on the other hand is stepping it up this year with a Friday night blues & bbq fest and an autocross course.

So I'll definitely be at one or the other. Both are good events.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Do they still have the dyno?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's pretty beat. More f bodys parked on the street than in the show.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
It's pretty beat. More f bodys parked on the street than in the show.
That's how it was when I went last year, that **** was a waste of time. Glad I didn't bother to drive my car out all that way

Going to give the Spring Carlisle a try in the next couple of weeks and see if that is any better.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
That's how it was when I went last year, that **** was a waste of time. Glad I didn't bother to drive my car out all that way

Going to give the Spring Carlisle a try in the next couple of weeks and see if that is any better.
The spring and fall shows are where it's at. For them the fairgrounds will be at full capacity packed with vendors and cars for sale from end to end. I'll be there fri. & sat. for the spring show in a couple weeks. They have an auction in the evenings as well at the spring and fall shows.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'll be down on that Spring show weekend on Saturday with my Dad. Are you driving your car out there? Don't know if I am or not, kind of a hike and I drive it enough as is on a day to day basis, haha.

I can remember a few years ago in high school when I skipped on a Friday to go to the Spring show and it was absolutely packed with all kinds of cars everywhere, was so worth it. I hope it's still the same.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'll be down on that Spring show weekend on Saturday with my Dad. Are you driving your car out there? Don't know if I am or not, kind of a hike and I drive it enough as is on a day to day basis, haha.

I can remember a few years ago in high school when I skipped on a Friday to go to the Spring show and it was absolutely packed with all kinds of cars everywhere, was so worth it. I hope it's still the same.
Nope, no reason to waste the gas in the Z28. Besides I want to have room to haul anything I buy home, so I go with my dad and his truck. I know in the Fall it rained all day Saturday and there was still a good turnout, so this spring should be even better.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, same here. Also, that reminds me, I forgot they had a bunch of tents setup where you could go to buy stuff. Maybe I can come up on an SLP SS grille for a decent price. Man, I sure hope the weather will be on our side!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, same here. Also, that reminds me, I forgot they had a bunch of tents setup where you could go to buy stuff. Maybe I can come up on an SLP SS grille for a decent price. Man, I sure hope the weather will be on our side!
The spring show is all vendors selling stuff. It's not a car show but rather a swap meet. All the cars that are there are for sale.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Teching In

I've attended the GM event every year but one so far and I'm sad to say it had a less than spectacular turn out. Doesn't help that the Frederick show was on the same weekend (and from what I hear, neither event co-ordinator is willing to move their show date). But on top of that there's also the economy issue and gas prices. Though people do seem to have no problem paying $35-45 for just one day of fun field participation... So on that note, there's always next year and I plan to be there
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I do not believe the Camaro Nationals in Frederick should have an affect on the entire line of GM vehicles able to show at the GM Nationals. There is just some odd thing with GM owners not coming out in force like the Mopar and Ford shows.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I do not believe the Camaro Nationals in Frederick should have an affect on the entire line of GM vehicles able to show at the GM Nationals. There is just some odd thing with GM owners not coming out in force like the Mopar and Ford shows.
I too have noticed that over the years. Gas prices are the only thing I can really think of that would give reason for it, although it doesn't stop the other shows from pulling big show entries. As far as attendance goes GM has a lower entry fee at $8 compared to $10 for the others, so that should entice people, then again, GM is missing a huge attraction imo, TEST DRIVES. Ford has been doing them for years and even though it's just a coned course in a small parking lot it's always the thing I look forward to most along with the burnout contest. The lack of a dyno this year at all the shows sucked too
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

GM offered test drives as recent as 2008; it was the first I drove a 5th gen. I don't recall them doing anything recently, though.

Maybe it is true that GM guys are just plain cheap and/or broke.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
It's simple. The Corvette show kills it. A good chunk of the die-hard chevy guys are corvette owners, so they go to the vette show. The truck show hurts too, as all the guys with the cool C10s and jacked Silverados go to that one. People can't afford to go to all the shows.

I do think the lack of manufacturer presence hurts as well. Ford and Dodge come out in force at their respective shows. They bring concepts to show and new cars to test drive. GM sends people to give out free t-shirts in exchange for mailing info.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

I was at GM Nats and I thought there was a good turnout. We took our G8 and there were 30 G8's there. I would say 300 or more F-bodies, 80 or so New GTO's, 30-40 Fieros, and about 400 other GM cars. Pretty close to 1000 cars in total. My family had a great time with the kids zone, Monster truck rides, autocross runs, and magic shows. I am sure there was a less turnout then past years but for our 1st event @ carlisle we had a blast and will deffinatly be back for the vette show and GM nats next year..

There were about 50 GM Venders types there. They brought out Calloways cars and trucks, a bunch of new camaro and corvettes gm had on display. There were a bunch of part venders and the flea market was pretty cool as well.

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 07-19-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I heard and seen, Frederick sucked *** again this year, I personally had a great time at the GM Nationals looking at more than 10-20 Camaro's and the vendors in Carlisle were great IMO. Sad I skipped the 2011 GM show for the Camaro Nats.

To put the icing on the cake organizers of the Camaro show in frederick Kept promising more than the two vendors they had in 2011 and better show for 2012 but in truth Tom Henry show cars, and SLP were the only ones there and show field was the same.

Last edited by 1 Bad Ass Formula; 07-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM did come out in force like that until the Camaro nationals split from Carlisle for 2011