Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to Vigrinia (Langley AFB) Help advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moving to Vigrinia (Langley AFB) Help advice needed

So Im getting ready to move to Virginia in August and am in need of good housing/school areas near Langley Air Force Base. If anyone knows someplace let me know. Every jacka$$ I call about a house says that the schools are the greatest and the neighborhood is the best... I find this hard to believe.

Also whats the vehicle laws up there license plates, tint, exhaust, emissions, etc?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's discussion about the exhaust laws in VA --> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ffler-law.html
Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.novastreetscene.com/showt...ification-Laws
Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That should help you.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Um, so TSP true duals dumped prior to the axle might be an issue... If i keep my T/A registered in TX, then it shouldnt be an issue correct?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shouldn't be. But I know if neighbors complain about not enough parking where u live and they see the Texas state inspection sticker on. The cops might bug you and tell you you need to register your car here. Happened to a friend of mine on this board. But legally I don't think they can force you to do that. Not sure though.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some research and found that as long as only my name is on the title/registration I can keep the vehicle registered where I want (thank the lord) but if the vehicle has my spouse on there then it will have to be registered in VA.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cops around here love to give tint and loud exhaust tickets out.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved away from the Hampton Roads area in February after 8 years there (Navy). I lived in Norfolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth. Here are my findings:

1. I enjoyed Chesapeake the most.
2. Some parts of VA Beach are nice.
3. Do not live in Portsmouth if you value your car and possessions (you'll see when you get there). Had a car stolen, house broken into, and other acts of random gangtsa thugs showing their presence in NAVY HOUSING!
4. VA state inspections suck. If at all possible, keep your vehicles registered in your home state. You will fail will no cats, in fact, any shop there won't even touch your car without them. You must get this inspection every year if you have VA tags.
5. VA requires front and rear license plates if registered in VA.
6. If you do decide to register your vehicle(s) there, you have to pay property tax, unless you are active duty military. If you are, you have to repeatedly fax a copy of your LES to the city treasurer, or go down there in person to prove you are not a resident of VA, every year. The city will automatically attempt to bill you for personal property tax.
7. Never really heard of anyone getting a ticket for tint.

Some folks like it there, but it wasn't for me. Much happier here in CT.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I lived in VA for quite some time before recently joining the navy and like everyone else has said if u can keep your out of state tags it will make things much easier. Also ur gonna be in northern VA which is where im from and up there u may get bugged about tint.. I have before. If u have any questions about emissions or anything just pm me I used to work at Dmv so I know a lot about some of the common questions
Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be keeping my T/A registered in TX, even though I despise the state. But from the way I understood the law, If the title has only the military members name on it then it can be registered out of state.

Quick Reply: Moving to Vigrinia (Langley AFB) Help advice needed