Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads People. Over Here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a sad Day..........................

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/796331-no-more-racing-red-rocket.html

Kyle
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
^^^^ Chris, you fix the torque arm yet????
no, i went to the hobby shop on Ft Eustis on Sunday to do it...but they were closed. And theyre closed on Mondays and Tuesdays too i think, and yesterday i didnt get off work until 6.... im off today and tomorrow, but today is our 1yr marriage anniversary, and tomorrow she has off work (so no car work.lol) and i work Fri/Sat/Sun from 6-6, so i will have to wait til next week to do it...

And Kyle....I used to like the Mecham hood...I like the idea behind it, but after seeing it in person, im not sure if i do. I would have to see it again and really look at it to decide. if i remember right, the front of the hood doesn't sit flush with the bumper, and i wasnt too fond of the nostrils either..

What ever happened to you getting Rob's old Ram Air hood?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He has the hood sitting in his garage, just waiting to be painted....
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Its a sad Day..........................
Kyle
Damn that sucks. Glad the driver is ok.

As far as the 500 whp NA on a stock short block with GM casting heads, I remain sceptical and as I1uluz has said, the bar has been set and everybody is watching now. If you can do it, then maybe I will give you my stock 243 casting heads so you can port them and then pick me out a cam so I can have 500 whp too. Shouldn't be as hard on mine since it is a non-stock bottom end and has pistons with valve reliefs. Good luck.

Last edited by JDM74; 10-10-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JDM74

As far as the 500 whp NA on a stock short block with GM casting heads, I remain sceptical and as I1uluz has said, the bar has been set and everybody is watching now. If you can do it, then maybe I will give you my stock 243 casting heads so you can port them and then pick me out a cam so I can have 500 whp too. Shouldn't be as hard on mine since it is a non-stock bottom end and has pistons with valve reliefs. Good luck.
Yeah i know what ya got man. I followed the build. You have alot of nice parts and i dont like to dog anyones setup and the Hood cooment wasnt meant that way AG. Its just not what I like. You like it and thats whats cool.

Yeah the crash sucks for Tom. I know he was so close to 7's on radials.

Chris....

Sean is right... the hood is in the garage....It will be on soon. I need to do everything for Hood Pins first...

Kyle
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sean i finally got your vid up.... my FTP was giving me crap....

http://itlxlr8.com/vids/MIR/Sean%20*...R%207oct07.wmv

Its smaller then i wanted it to be.....

Im going to try it again.... adobe premiere pro takes some getting used to.

I want to get it the same quality and size as Josh's Pass.

14 sec diesel pass.

http://itlxlr8.com/vids/MIR/Josh%20M...Sec%20Pass.wmv
Kyle
Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the site today and looked at them. I sucked at the track that day.... Maybe next time out I can get some better times.... I was running a tenth better last time out on street tires. We will see....

I guess I need to get my money straight then so Shawn and Head can get to work....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I checked the site today and looked at them. I sucked at the track that day.... Maybe next time out I can get some better times.... I was running a tenth better last time out on street tires. We will see....

I guess I need to get my money straight then so Shawn and Head can get to work....
Sounds like a Plan.

Whats the word on the other Neon??
Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Surely this guy cant be serious!!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170156373602
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if he is, then Im highly impressed....
Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Sounds like a Plan.

Whats the word on the other Neon??
Dont know yet, doesnt have the turbo kit off the car yet.... Should be off by the end of next week.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM74

There is nothing wrong with skeptical.I like setting the bar high,but realistic,i've looked a flow numbers and port volumes of the cnc'd heads out there and based off of past experience with similar engines i'm sure it can be done.I have a mule motor to put on the engine dyno to baseline and then start modding until i get the desired results.It wouldnt be the first time i've taken the heads off 3-4 times and changed cams several times on the dyno.
The other thing you need to remember is that i didnt say stock ls6 heads,they are going to require more than just some port work to get the numbers i'm looking for.I'm going to be starting this project in the next month or so,i'll keep everybody posted.
You know i wasnt trying to start a pissing match when i posted this originally,i just wanted to state that stock heads arent all that bad.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
Ah, if you've done some studying it isnt hard to spot really. If there is anything i do its read read read on these forums because i can never decide what exactilly i want do with my car. (fi, n2o, etc..)

I tell him the same exact thing about his sticker/muffler. He just says he doesnt care.

Now tell me about that hood? I guess its custom? Ive never seen one like it..
My advice is big cubes, with a great set of heads and the right cam. If that is not fast enough then spray it till you **** yourself and call it done.

It's a Mecham hood, do a search for Mecham Performance and you should be able to find the website. They have the one UGLY TA on there to show it off. More in the next couple of paragraphs.

You should get AAA then sign up for the Richmond Track Rental in Nov. Just in case you break you can get your car home from the track. You 3 or 4 tows from 100 miles free every year. I think they call it the Gold level or something like that, my card was gold. Well worth the money even for a local tow.

Kyle

The car is a Formula, for the FMIC to get air across it either I had to buy a TA nose cut out the plate hole and pull the fog lights, which I think is booty looking. Or buy this nose, I really hated the two huge holes it came with so I got extra material from Mecham and had it installed in the two large openings to fill in the area some and protect the IC from rocks.

As for the hood, I wanted to pull heat out of the engine compartment. The front is the same design as a Firehawk hood. I never did like the WS6 double decker openings.

Build quality is less than perfect. Right where the hood supports are you can see them from the top of the hood. It should have been taken care of at the body shop, but the "30 day" job turned in to a rushed 120 day job. After seeing a CF hood on a car (not a Fbody) around here, I don't think mine is the worst aftermarket hood. And from what I hear most aftermarket hoods are less than perfect. And considering I got for 1/2 price I can't complain too much.

And once the hood was on the car the low Formula wing sat lower than the highest peak of the hood so it looked like frog with the nose higher than the *** end. So had to find a TA hatch to balance the car back out.

So the nose and hood are form following function. The goal was to move air across the FMIC, the stock Formula nose wasn't going to work so I figured out what would and went with it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Sean, any idea when those vids from us @ MIR will be up?? I need to add them to my collection... plus I'd like to have mine and Darren's race if you got it.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

I1uluz: i prolly wont go big cubes just yet. So far the plan is boltons (check) and h/c + spray. Hopefully ill be happy with that for awile. Break the engine then ill go big cubes Either way, i still think the hood is sexy

The AAA sounds like a good plan though, ill look into that. thanks for the advice!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Sean, any idea when those vids from us @ MIR will be up?? I need to add them to my collection... plus I'd like to have mine and Darren's race if you got it.
Ive got to get the vids from Lee and have Kyle edit them....
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Sean, I think it's time for you to buy yourself a camera. Waiting for the discs from lee, and then waiting to have them uploaded and stuff by someone else just takes too long. And plus, having a camera is a nice thing
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Ive got to get the vids from Lee and have Kyle edit them....
sweet, I really wanna see everyone's runs from that day.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Sean, I think it's time for you to buy yourself a camera. Waiting for the discs from lee, and then waiting to have them uploaded and stuff by someone else just takes too long. And plus, having a camera is a nice thing
It wouldnt be a problem if Lee would do what he says he's gonna do.... The videos would have been done a long time ago.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
I1uluz: i prolly wont go big cubes just yet. So far the plan is boltons (check) and h/c + spray. Hopefully ill be happy with that for awile. Break the engine then ill go big cubes Either way, i still think the hood is sexy

The AAA sounds like a good plan though, ill look into that. thanks for the advice!
Nothing sucks more than to break at the track then try to figure out how to get the car home. It's nice to call AAA and say come and get me. Or if you are just out and about the car dies you need to get back to base, RING RING come and fetch it.

Plus ERS Member Benefits

The following emergency services will be provided to place your vehicle in a driveable condition.
  • Mechanical adjustments Minor/temporary adjustments will be made in an attempt to enable your vehicle to operate safely under its own power.
  • Battery boost A battery boost will be provided in an attempt to start your vehicle.
    Flat tire If your vehicle’s spare is inflated and serviceable, it will be installed to replace a flat tire. If no inflated spare is available, the vehicle will be towed.
  • Fuel delivery A limited supply of fuel will be delivered to your disabled vehicle to enable you to reach the nearest open service station, at no additional charge.
  • Towing When your vehicle cannot be safely driven after attempting any of the listed emergency services, your vehicle will be towed a maximum of 100 miles in any one direction from the point of disablement at no charge.
  • Lockout service If your keys are locked inside the vehicle, service will be sent to gain entry. If the service provider cannot gain entry, a locksmith will be called and services up to $100 will be provided.
  • Extrication/winching Your vehicle will be extricated/winched when it can be safely reached from a normally traveled thoroughfare. Provides coverage for additional equipment, if needed.
Looks like it's $87 a year for the Plus membership. That is about 2 blocks if you need a tow and pay the normal cost. I would hate to know the cost of 100 mile tow.

Glad to see someone likes the hood

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads People. Over Here!