Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads People. Over Here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StangAddict
Who said N/A?

Im cheap...sticking with power in a bottle! lol And lots of it!
Carb style intake with a BIG plate kit. Nitrous Pro-Flow makes an excellent plate kit. Hell, even Zex makes an great plate kit. I recommend a progressive controller as well. Also a MSD Digital-7 ignition as well. It will automatically pull timing and whatever else when your system is armed. If you want a BADASS fogger kit, Speedtech Nitrous Systems will make you happy. It is pricey but it is worth every penny. It is Promod racer Shannon Jenkins company. I would also do a standalone fuel system for the nitrous kit also. It will save you alot of headaches and will allow more tunability. These are just suggestions, just my .02. I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be crazy!! I would love to see the car run with 350 on the plate and a extra 250 on the second stage. I would pay you to take one pass in it.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twinturboz28
I'm sure you would,Ls6 heads have great potential,most people just dont know how to get all they can from them.

How high do you plan on spinning with those stock rod bolts since you are using a stock bottom end?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by twinturboz28
What's wrong with gm heads.I got 2 really good gm head projects in the works right now,one is a 500 na rwhp stock bottom end ls1 with ls6 heads the other is a 1000+ hp pump gas twin turbo ls7 with stock ls7 heads.

"In the works" Translation, NOT HAPPEN YET. HOPE, PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE We've talked enough BS to the owners so they will buy all the stuff. We just have to figure out how to do it ONCE on the dyno, then wait for the come back work when it lets go (mo money for the repair work). Or come up with the "right" excuses why they didn't make the power we promised.

This from a shop that can't even wire up a N2O system right

Then again what do I know, I only have a 9 second dyno queen street car
Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Wow, I'm glad I'm wearing my boots, the ****'s gettn deep...

-Why are you busting someone's *** for having goals ????? I dont get it...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
"In the works" Translation, NOT HAPPEN YET. HOPE, PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE We've talked enough BS to the owners so they will buy all the stuff. We just have to figure out how to do it ONCE on the dyno, then wait for the come back work when it lets go (mo money for the repair work). Or come up with the "right" excuses why they didn't make the power we promised.

To clear up the whole N2O kit not being wired up properly, it was my car. And when you came over and told me about the FPSS not being hooked up on the right side, it caught me off guard and I forgot the reason for that was because that was a bad switch. They ordered me a new one,, but it just has not been installed yet. Other then that, the kit is flawless....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Wow, I'm glad I'm wearing my boots, the ****'s gettn deep...

-Why are you busting someone's *** for having goals ????? I dont get it...

Goals are great, but keeping them realistic and attainable is better. To get a set of stock heads to flow 500RWHP NA on a 346 cid engine the ports will have to be HUGE, in turn means down low it's going to be lazy(IF the valves will even flow that much). Can't have best of both worlds NA. So now the engine is going have to spin up to 7000+rpm to make that kind of power, the STOCK rod bolts are not going to live long at that stress level. Plus it's not going to be fun to drive on the street with a cam (10X LSA) that likes to live up in the higher RPM's, everything will move to the right on the dyno graph. Plus you are now in to a solid lifter cam territory, changing valve springs once a year or more due to the high lift. Pulling the valve covers adjusting the lash. PV clearance is going to be extra tight so most likely it won't be a STOCK bottom end but something with forged pistons with the correct reliefs. I am sure this engine will see some spray too. Guess we'll never know till it happens will we?

There is a stroker engine Fbody around here making 500RWHP NA, it's very high strung. It's all about compromises, give up one thing to gain another.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Goals are great, but keeping them realistic and attainable is better. To get a set of stock heads to flow 500RWHP NA on a 346 cid engine the ports will have to be HUGE, in turn means down low it's going to be lazy(IF the valves will even flow that much). Can't have best of both worlds NA. So now the engine is going have to spin up to 7000+rpm to make that kind of power, the STOCK rod bolts are not going to live long at that stress level. Plus it's not going to be fun to drive on the street with a cam (10X LSA) that likes to live up in the higher RPM's, everything will move to the right on the dyno graph. Plus you are now in to a solid lifter cam territory, changing valve springs once a year or more due to the high lift. Pulling the valve covers adjusting the lash. PV clearance is going to be extra tight so most likely it won't be a STOCK bottom end but something with forged pistons with the correct reliefs. I am sure this engine will see some spray too. Guess we'll never know till it happens will we?

There is a stroker engine Fbody around here making 500RWHP NA, it's very high strung. It's all about compromises, give up one thing to gain another.
its attainable with the right combo... never said it'd be something to take a road trip in or drive in a parade and be enjoyable.... or fun to tune... I've met you and respect you and what you've done with your car, but there's no need to bust someone's ***** just because they want to go a direction with something that you dont necessarily agree with... thats all...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

its attainable with the right combo... never said it'd be something to take a road trip in or drive in a parade and be enjoyable.... or fun to tune... I've met you and respect you and what you've done with your car, but there's no need to bust someone's ***** just because they want to go a direction with something that you dont necessarily agree with... thats all...

Show me a stock short block LS1 that makes 500 at the tires with GM casting heads then. I'm not going to "take your word for it". Patrick G struggled to get it with a forged bottom end and CNCed AFR heads that were worked heavily after they came from AFR. Until I see it I don't believe it. At the very least you are going to need new rod bolts and pistons with valve reliefs that to accomodate the huge cam that it is going to take to get there. That voids the whole "stock short block" statement. The burden of proof is not mine.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by JDM74
Show me a stock short block LS1 that makes 500 at the tires with GM casting heads then. I'm not going to "take your word for it". Patrick G struggled to get it with a forged bottom end and CNCed AFR heads that were worked heavily after they came from AFR. Until I see it I don't believe it. At the very least you are going to need new rod bolts and pistons with valve reliefs that to accomodate the huge cam that it is going to take to get there. That voids the whole "stock short block" statement. The burden of proof is not mine.
"burden of proof" give me a ******* break... get over yourself... I dont have to "prove" **** to you dude.... go read up on some dyno sheets. I dont claim to know more than anyone else, in fact, I really dont. but I do read up on stuff... maybe you should as well... LS1Tech isnt the be-all and end-all of the LS1 engine... My statement wasnt really even arguing the sole fact thats going to be very do-able or not, I'm sure Shawn knows what he's doing. My point was that nobody needs to break his ***** for trying...

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 10-10-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

"burden of proof" give me a ******* break... get over yourself... I dont have to "prove" **** to you dude.... go read up on some dyno sheets.
Hurt your feelings a little bit did I? I'll believe it when I see it. Stop being a cheer leader for Vaspeed you ***.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

I guess you didnt look up the word "gaudy" after all.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Hurt your feelings a little bit did I? I'll believe it when I see it. Stop being a cheer leader for Vaspeed you ***.
I dont know you from ******* Adam... the most work I ever got done there was a nitrous fill and got a set of heads **LOOKED AT**... I'm not a cheerleader... once again do your homework before running your ******* jibbs. I thought we left name-calling in the 6th grade

-and how does my reply sounds as if my feelings were hurt?? it takes a little more than some words typed on an internet forum to do that bud
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
I guess you didnt look up the word "gaudy" after all.

I think it would apply to someone having a K&N sticker on the B pillar or a PSP mounted to the dash. Those are two really kwel mods.

TECH TIP: They make this really great stuff, it's call P'Blaster you spray it on rusted fasteners and they break loose easier. Spray it on and let it soak then the project does not kick your ***. Work smarter not harder.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

I dont know you from ******* Adam... the most work I ever got done there was a nitrous fill and got a set of heads **LOOKED AT**... I'm not a cheerleader... once again do your homework before running your ******* jibbs. I thought we left name-calling in the 6th grade

-and how does my reply sounds as if my feelings were hurt?? it takes a little more than some words typed on an internet forum to do that bud
Well, you are the one that starting the cursing, not me. All I said is that I would believe it when I see it. I nosed around the dyno section and came up with a couple of 500+ Hp cars that were doing it on stock bottom end and 346 cubes. All were 6 speed cars with stock 10 bolts and 3.42 gears. There were some there, but they were definitely far and few between. I never said that it wasn’t possible but it is highly unlikely and to make that statement before the car is actually built and dynoed is not a smart move to make, hence my statement of calling BS.

As for not knowing me from Adam, I have been and BPS, seen your truck, and you. You should stop by and say hi Saturday. I’ll be in the black Formula. We can discuss the probability of the car in question making 500 at the tires face to face. See you Saturday
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I think it would apply to someone having a K&N sticker on the B pillar or a PSP mounted to the dash. Those are two really kwel mods.

TECH TIP: They make this really great stuff, it's call P'Blaster you spray it on rusted fasteners and they break loose easier. Spray it on and let it soak then the project does not kick your ***. Work smarter not harder.
Lol. Touche. I must admit...i am getting a little tired of the PSP mounted I dunno what you are talking about with the K&N sticker? Although i wish i had some of that P'Blaster when i did my headers. Oh well.

On another note, im sitting at burger king with this girl i know about an hour away from home and my water pump siezed(sp) up on me Luckily there is an auto zone litterarlly two stores away and they happen to have an ls1 water pump with lifetime warr. Also gave me an excuse to buy a GOOD socket set as opposed to the crappy one i have been using. So couple hours later me and this girl are in the parking lot of burgerking swapping out the water pump...i figured she'd be all bitchy but she actually helped and LOVED it. In fact, she loved it so much im posting this from her computer at her house the next morning Just thought id share. (thanks onecamaro1 for the advice)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Well, you are the one that starting the cursing, not me. All I said is that I would believe it when I see it. I nosed around the dyno section and came up with a couple of 500+ Hp cars that were doing it on stock bottom end and 346 cubes. All were 6 speed cars with stock 10 bolts and 3.42 gears. There were some there, but they were definitely far and few between. I never said that it wasn’t possible but it is highly unlikely and to make that statement before the car is actually built and dynoed is not a smart move to make, hence my statement of calling BS.

As for not knowing me from Adam, I have been and BPS, seen your truck, and you. You should stop by and say hi Saturday. I’ll be in the black Formula. We can discuss the probability of the car in question making 500 at the tires face to face. See you Saturday
Thats cool, I still dont know who you are, not that that fact even matters a whole lot... You said it couldnt be done... and you proved yourself wrong... and Why couldnt someone say that he's going to build that before he does?? someone with those kinds of resources and equipment and facility should be able to do it just as easy as anyone else... like I said, its about how its put together. Throwing the BS flag on something thats already been done more than once is pretty dumb...
I've had the flag thrown all over me when I said I was going to put my 4600# truck in the 12's on street tires with a bone stock motor minus cam+ springs... oh wait, I already did that...

Here you are Sir, you in fact did say that... post #988

Show me a stock short block LS1 that makes 500 at the tires
I'm done with the little pissing match... its pretty retarded anyway... just sit back and wait for it I guess at this point.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Its no need to argue you guys, opinions are opinions. I respect the fact that Shawn is willing to challenge himself with a goal like this. Maybe someone who can think outside the box can figure this out. I don't see this as impossible, but it will take time.

-Chris, I have yet to see a LS1 motor have a rod bolt fail because of rpm, just my .02.

I think the cam department would be the most important part of the equation. Certainly an off-the-shelf donky dick cam is not going to cut it. Close attention will have to be payed to IVC's and EVC's, lobe type, lift, duration, hell I could go on and on. Just don't be so quick to jump on people who are willing to try something difficult. Its not cool guys. Just my .02.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

LOL, you all have stood next to each other I am sure while at BPS.

Silver you've got a nice truck, I like what you have done with it. I am sure it's shocked the **** out of more than a few car owners before. The last Saturday I was over at BPS you let me back into a parking spot not sure if I said thanks.

I think you should give JDM some credit when he speaks, I respect his advice on my projects. He has helped me put together my projects, I use him to bounce ideas off of to see if my logic is correct. When it comes to mechanical engineering he's sort of smart and is real good at handing me the right wrench in the garage

It would be interesting to see that claim made in the Gen III forum on here to see what the whole board would say.

Looks like the ones that have made 500rwhp NA have gone into the bottom end and used aftermarket heads to start with then worked them to death. Most likely use a 3.42 or lower gear set 10 bolt rear, stock aluminum DS, aluminum flywheel. All the little tricks that looks good on a dyno sheet but don't work well at the track. Since the term dyno queen likes to be used that is pretty much what it would be vice putting up a good number at the track.

Have to admit it's funny to see him Maybe Saturday we can sit around and talk about the pros/cons of such a setup.

Mike

If the rod bolt does not break but stretches enough the rod bearing will spin. Stock rod bolts will only hold that kind of power for so long before they fail. If you replace them then it's not a stock bottom end is it?

Have you ever considered a career in politics or Department of State?

Well this morning has passed quickly so far
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
Lol. Touche. I must admit...i am getting a little tired of the PSP mounted I dunno what you are talking about with the K&N sticker? Although i wish i had some of that P'Blaster when i did my headers. Oh well.
Your buddy that rolled into BPS with you had the K&N sticker on his car. Nothing like pimpin the K&N under the hood to say watch out ricers/rustangs it's an ALL OUT BEAST!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I dont doubt I have stood next to the guy and probably shot the BS with him for a while... I just dont remember names with faces most of the time, I guess thats my bust. No problem on the parking spot LOL... I know how bad it sucks to park up there most of the time, battling for spaces and everything

Thanks or the props on the truck, it'll continue to do its thing... that is unless it decides to go into a wall at the 1000ft mark like it almost did this weekend... talk about pucker factor.

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads People. Over Here!