Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Whats the law on shooting someone in your driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the law on shooting someone in your driveway?

Curious of this question due to both vehicles were broken into in my driveway saturday nite. Curious what the law states about shooting someone in your driveway??? Cutter where are you??? LOL! Not looking at shooting like killing someone but if I fire a high powered pellet gun its going to leave a serious mark or penetrate some. I dont want to be in a legal standpoint if so. However I do feel i need to do something if I happen to catch the F'er I want to be able to point and shoot out my window that the little F'er. Even if he still gets away i dont care as long as I hit him. I know its kids obviously due to they only ripped the care apart for change, didnt really take much else. Didn't bother with cell phone chargers, radios, cd's etc.

We have some new low income housing up the road from us that has been put in that gives us around a group of 15+/- teenage kids running around in the lower development area now. I've been here 3 years with no concerns till now. In the past 6 months the low income housing came in. Thus some nice low life kids aswell.

Plus anyone with some recommendations on a nice pellet gun or have one for sale let me know. Looking for something that is semi-automatic, c02 powered (dont want to have to pump up pressure between rounds) and would like it to be atleast 700fps+ rifle or hand style gun.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just chase them down and beat them with a bat.... That gets it done.

Or get a boxer, feed him red meat, then when they come back, let the dog out. They cant say anything, because they were on your property....
Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 AM
8 second mod

what you need is a p-22 with laser, with duds, just aim making the laser hit the car, then onto them, and start shooting it, just the bang alone will scare the **** out of anyone never mind the laser site. and the p-22 is a cheep gun to buy and 22 duds are cheep as well. i would have some live rounds tho just incase. you never know if they may have somthing to shoot back with.

if you want to ding them up, a hand pel gun is very hard to aim, they are not veru accuratle esp if your shooting at night ect.
a rif will be much beter with a scope and puts down up to 1,000 feet per second. you just need to be sure you get them first hit.

the other option could be a nasty *** machine gun air soft gun. they sell ones that are full auto 500-600 fps, and will unload 300 shots in seconds and hurt like hell.

Just remember, if you go ahead and shoot someone with anything, be prepaired. i would recomend having home safty 12 ga loaded just incase the 15 year old has a big brother with real guns and a shitty backround, or the 15 yr old has a gun of his own and desides to come back with it.

you may be better off with a booby trap of some sort a tac strip under the door handle at night, a tac strip on the seet so when they lean in, boom.

just be carefull, the criminals have more rights then you do
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
They cant say anything, because they were on your property....

not true at all. did you hear about the guy braking into a house, fell threw the skylight and took the home owner to court and won!! the crook has more rights then the good guys. its sad but true
Old 01-21-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Noyzee I needed that.... I really did, that entire post cracked me up!!! With some VERY USEFUL INFO indeed.
Any other info on criminal activity stopping power ideas is welcome. I like the tack thing until i forget one morning when i'm running late and grab one or sit on it LOL!!!

I'm thinking of putting a $5.00 bill hanging out the side of the door to the car on the weekends and sitting back with a pellet gun in the 3rd floor window and when the motion light i'm putting up lights up just start shooting!!! That'll get the word around

Disclaimer I'm saying the lower income housing kids are doing so. I just know its kids and there are alot of kids walking around in the lower developement after putting such housing up. Not saying some rich kids wouldnt do it or kids on their way to church at 3am and their parents dont care their kids are out but just an assumption based on facts thats all.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just shoot his *** and drag em into your house...problem solved...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

paint ***** can put a hurtin on ya also if you have the right gun.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Legally if had it escallated into a actual shoot out, you do not have the right to use lethal force in defense of personal property, only if you or others are in a life threatening situation.

Its kinda sucks, but you shooting someone with a less then lethal weapon may be grounds for charges being made against you, especially if they are minors.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Legally if had it escallated into a actual shoot out, you do not have the right to use lethal force in defense of personal property, only if you or others are in a life threatening situation.

Its kinda sucks, but you shooting someone with a less then lethal weapon may be grounds for charges being made against you, especially if they are minors.
this is true, thats why im saying the real p-22 with duds is the way to go, the only thing you can get charged for is desturbing the piece, no big deal, and it will send a message
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually anything more than a verbal confrontation and calling the police is legally risky. Even showing a toy gun can open you up for a brandishing a weapon charge. The law is based on what the vic( scumbag kid) percives not reality. Also unless your property is fenced off your expectation of privacy is less. I.E. its is harder for the prep to claim he was just walking up your driveway to ask directions, if he had to climb over a fence with posted no trespassing signs.
Every state is different , but atleast here in mass your right are very restricted it terms of force. pretty much you have to prove that you were in fear of your or someone elses personal saftey, property does not cut it.
They were very clear in this area at the police academy
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Yeh be careful with what you do regarding that situation..
I caught 3 kids messing with my car and trying to break in to it..

I caught them with the aid of an ASP, marched them back up the street to my house and made them lay on the street with their hands cuffed over thier heads until the police came..
Police came and had to take all of my information down and ect like I was the criminal
The Police officer said that was incase the kids parents wanted to press charges on me ..
And all the Police were willing to do is get them for being out past Curfew
Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NJ 2002 Z28
Yeh be careful with what you do regarding that situation..
I caught 3 kids messing with my car and trying to break in to it..

I caught them with the aid of an ASP, marched them back up the street to my house and made them lay on the street with their hands cuffed over thier heads until the police came..
Police came and had to take all of my information down and ect like I was the criminal
The Police officer said that was incase the kids parents wanted to press charges on me ..
And all the Police were willing to do is get them for being out past Curfew
Whats a ASP??? And you gotta be FN kidding me!!!!!!

OK what if i put a no trespassing sign up at the end of the driveway?? Then can I do anything???
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Zturd
Whats a ASP??? And you gotta be FN kidding me!!!!!!

OK what if i put a no trespassing sign up at the end of the driveway?? Then can I do anything???
boobie traps, and even those can get you in trouble.

Im telling you, the country is going to hell, its sad but true

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

An ASP is a Expanding tactical Baton that the police use
Mine folds out to 26" and made out of air craft grade aluminum..
which the Police officer lectured me a bout because they are considered a bludgeoning device and illegal in New Jersey..
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by NJ 2002 Z28
An ASP is a Expanding tactical Baton that the police use
Mine folds out to 26" and made out of air craft grade aluminum..
which the Police officer lectured me a bout because they are considered a bludgeoning device and illegal in New Jersey..
unreal
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

BillS summed it up pretty good with his post..
Unfortunately a fence doesnt protect your cars from getting **** thrown at them and ect..

The paintball gun idea is a good one because they do make paintballs filled with pepper spray
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what can you do? bend over and allow the bleeding heart northeast laws rape you. Be defenseless and rely on the police to protect you.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
8 second mod

get a taser gun, they can not trace back a tasser gun.

when your motion light goes on,

put on one of these

run out hit them with the taser, tell them if they ever **** with anything again it wont be as fun as the taser.
then if the cops come ect.

it wasnt me officer, not sure what you meen, but i would like to know when you find the guy so i can thank him for stoping the punks.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man Noyzee you are in RARE form today sir LMFAO!!!!!!!! Do you know where I could purchase one of those costumes??

WTF!!!!!!! is going on here!!!! I just dont understand this entire thing how the person stealing from you is more in the right then you are from stopping them? Call the cops? OK i hear something, I see someone, I dial the phone #, the lady asks me a bunch of questions and while the guy is gone I get to wait up for the cop to come right some stuff down on a piece of paper to wipe his *** with and move on. Probably give me a ticket while he's there cause my car is too loud even though it wasn't running. Cause thats a real crime!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Zturd
Man Noyzee you are in RARE form today sir LMFAO!!!!!!!! Do you know where I could purchase one of those costumes??

WTF!!!!!!! is going on here!!!! I just dont understand this entire thing how the person stealing from you is more in the right then you are from stopping them? Call the cops? OK i hear something, I see someone, I dial the phone #, the lady asks me a bunch of questions and while the guy is gone I get to wait up for the cop to come right some stuff down on a piece of paper to wipe his *** with and move on. Probably give me a ticket while he's there cause my car is too loud even though it wasn't running. Cause thats a real crime!!!!!!
ive thought threw many ways to stop some from doing that stuff without pulling out my weppon. i have also thought threw what to do if some one comes in my house.
I cant just pull out my shot gun and nail em, i cant pull out one of my hand guns and shoot em, i cant shoot him in the leg to take him down. i can call the cops and hope they get there. its unreal.

unless he pulled a deadly wepon and didnt listen to me.

so here are my thoughts. freeze, get on the ground with my gun in hand.
call the cops and hold him there, (now when the cops show up i would be sure i was ready, cuz theres a good chance i would go to jail as well.

#2, find a gun with no numbers on it, keep it out of site out of mind. freeze, guy keeps coming at you, freeze, still no stoping. BANG, and plant the gun on him and hope the jurry is nice to you and finds self defence

its sad, but depending on the cops is too late!

listen for yourself!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS8mdbml0A

Quick Reply: Whats the law on shooting someone in your driveway?