Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Nj Inspection Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nj Inspection Question

I have been debating over getting A Cat y Pipe or a regular one the only thing that is stopping me with the Catted Y pipe is the freaking Price... If i put in 02 sims and the engine light is not on then i will pass correct. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know Thanks all
Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

No you'll fail visual for sure and they'll notice bc it will be way louder than supposed to. I think theres a big fine you get hit with to if you ditch your cats.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

I would skip the O2 sims and just have the codes deleted/turned off in the computer.

As for the Y-pipe, I live and Jersey and went through a state inspection facility last October and my Y-pipe has gutted cats and I have a block off plate/dump just before the over-axle pipe and it passed first try. They plugged the car in and it came up clean. They did look under the car very closely, because it smelled rich (gutted cats will do that) but saw the shells and away I went. Would I recommend this, no. Get a catted Y-pipe and you'll never have to worry.

State facilities in NJ vary greatly because every person has a different motivation level and agenda. Some people go for every little detail, others are just punching a clock and look only for the "big stuff". Its hit and miss.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Default what type of setup do you have

I want to get long tubes with Cat y magna flow and maybe a electronic cutout what do you think

Am i loosing power with the cat y pipe
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

you wont lose much power with a pair of high-flow cats. and even if you do, youre probably talking a handful of rwhp, rather then failing inspection, having to pay to get it passed; or worse, getting tickets or god knows what else if youre caught with a fake sticker or an illegal inspection. just buy the cats and dont worry about it. if it was an all-out racecar where every single HP counted, you wouldnt be driving it on the streets to begin with.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

dont get caught with a fake sticker... it sucks. trust me.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

If you have a guy that will overlook the visual you'll be fine. No codes in the PCM=pass.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevethepirate
dont get caught with a fake sticker... it sucks. trust me.
Do tell...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Do tell...
Bought a truck friday night, guy neglected to tell me that the stickers were fake, saturday morning when i drove about a mile to get gas I got pulled over. Had to talk my way out of getting arrested. $500+ in fines... PITA to get resolved.

/hijack
Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
State facilities in NJ vary greatly because every person has a different motivation level and agenda. Some people go for every little detail, others are just punching a clock and look only for the "big stuff". Its hit and miss.
EXACTLY!!
You never know what you are going to get until you get there!!
In fact this can change within the same facility depending on who is working that day/hour/minute!
Given NO codes/lights, people have gone through without even having cat shells welded onto their off road ys (or gutted cats welded in).
Whereas one year they tried to fail me on a visual because the f'ing idiots could not find my legal, stock, OEM driver's side cat in the STOCK location!!!!.
So, EVEN with no codes/lights, and a catted y pipe off of LTs, there is still the possibility of them failing you.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thekidran
I want to get long tubes with Cat y magna flow and maybe a electronic cutout what do you think

Am i loosing power with the cat y pipe
I wouldn't think a good catted Y with long tubes will cost you any real power. I'd skip the electric cut out too. I had one on my car and when it failed I drove around in the open position, sounded cool. But I honestly think the car feels better with it closed, no dyno sheet or back to back drag strip passes to confirm this, so who knows.

Best advice, get the cat back of your liking a good set of headers and catted Y....and be done with it.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
I would skip the O2 sims and just have the codes deleted/turned off in the computer.

As for the Y-pipe, I live and Jersey and went through a state inspection facility last October and my Y-pipe has gutted cats and I have a block off plate/dump just before the over-axle pipe and it passed first try. They plugged the car in and it came up clean. They did look under the car very closely, because it smelled rich (gutted cats will do that) but saw the shells and away I went. Would I recommend this, no. Get a catted Y-pipe and you'll never have to worry.

Good luck

Exactly true! This young dude that was smiling from ear to ear when he was testing my Vette failed me because the E-Brake has to be all the way up to stop the car from rolling That is why from now on I'll just pay for a sticker. **** NJ Inspection centers
Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks Guys

Cat Y pipe it is then i hate cops and nj lol