Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just got through NJ state inspection station with the Trans Am!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got through NJ state inspection station with the Trans Am!!!!!!!!!!!

"Collector vehicle" inspection that is.
Race gas, roll cage, no cats, no airbags, no wipers-No Problem!!
All they check is the odometer every 2 years-no safety or emmisions.

Street Legal again-feels good!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

hmmm...more details on this collector's registration please!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
10 second playa

Nice, Mark.

I have the same thing.

What is the mileage limit per year? I forgot, but my car is due again soon.

Do you have special insurance too?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

3,000 miles a year. Yes you need collectors insurance, not hard to get.

ynk, if you go to the njdmv you can find the info on the collector registration.
Not everyone qualify's but you have a ws6 (as do I) so you wouldn't have a problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty cool Mark. I'll bet it cruises back and forth to Etown pretty nice with the taller tires and 3.73 gears now. I'm guessing you put the sportsman tires back on for the inspection...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

its not easy anymore. i dont know how you did it, but you cant even get the paperwork from DMV without an offical letter stating you have a 'limited run collector vehicle', by the manufacturer or offical car club of some sort. if you already had collectors reg. and want to renew it, then its the same. but theyre making it impossible to get a new one.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Also, there are sooo many local cops (maybe even staties as well?) who have NO CLUE what the triangular sticker means, and might pull you over to check it out (even though there's nothing they can do about it), hearing a loud car/cam lope/no cats smell, etc.
Which is a hassle, but worth it I guess.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Also, there are sooo many local cops (maybe even staties as well?) who have NO CLUE what the triangular sticker means, and might pull you over to check it out (even though there's nothing they can do about it), hearing a loud car/cam lope/no cats smell, etc.
Which is a hassle, but worth it I guess.
true...they will pull you over for the triangular sticker, but they can still ticket you and impound you for not having a street legal machine. you are still subject to the laws of street legality, you just don't have to prove it to anyone at the inspection station every two years. it is easy, however, to bullshit these cops who have no clue into thinking that even though the car isn't street legal, it is ok to drive on the street...because it is a mileage restricted collector vehicle.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guy above is wrong.
you have a street legal machine with that inspection sticker.
i got pulled over in my town with it and the cop was cool and said "what is that inspection", so i told him and he said "oh cool, you car is badass".
Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

if that's true, then why don't you pull into some **** PD dept. parking lot and let them take a look at your car with no front plate, tinted windows, racing tires, and no cats. when they impound your car for no cats and you get tossed a $10k fine by the feds on top of the other aforementioned things, the judge is going to laugh in your face for contesting it and there's nothing you can do about it. your car is exempt from safety inspection and emissions testing, not safety and federal emissions laws while operating your vehicle on the road.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Launching!

It does not appear to be as advantageous as it once was, except that maybe you get a break on insurance and you don't have to deal with inspection. But as this reads, you are still required to keep all equipment in place and functional. Now how its actually enforced, is another question. I know I see plenty of "QQ" tagged cars out at night (not allowed)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...Car_Status.pdf

My 70 Nova has collector registration, but I've had it for like 3 years so I got in before all this stuff. The only reason I didn't go QQ was too avoid being hassled if I took the car out at night for quick blast etc. etc..

QQ tags can be very restrictive on usage and I think the collector car status was originally set up as an intermediate level of registration for people to enjoy an older or rare or limited edition type vehicle that maybe wasn't 25 years old or just didn't want to confined by QQ tags. In the end, many people have used it as a loop hole and so they tightend it up quite a bit and so now you have to prove the status before they will issue it.

My opinion, nothing more.

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 05-28-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

I didn't see any of the above link in any part of the proccess I went through. No mention of keeping original equipment or anything like that nor did I sign anything that said that.
So what's the benefit then to owners who haven't altered their cars to obtain a collector staus? Why the emmisions and safety exemtion?
It is what it is, what're gonna do. I'm going to go ahead and put the hollowed out cats on it (after reading this) and that's it, what else can I do.

I did get a letter from GM (not easy) that stated how many ws6 coupes were made that year and that with the pics, insurance etc. was enough for DMV.
My draglites were on in the pictures, that's not original equipment either and it was approved.
Keep my fingers crossed I guess.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

What's a QQ tag?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tektrans
"Collector vehicle" inspection that is.
Race gas, roll cage, no cats, no airbags, no wipers-No Problem!!
All they check is the odometer every 2 years-no safety or emmisions.
I know it well, I've had that little triangulated inspection sticker on my Z28 for over 2+ years now.
Congrats.

What's a QQ tag?
Antique (over 25 years old?) vehicle plates.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
its not easy anymore. i dont know how you did it, but you cant even get the paperwork from DMV without an offical letter stating you have a 'limited run collector vehicle', by the manufacturer or offical car club of some sort. if you already had collectors reg. and want to renew it, then its the same. but theyre making it impossible to get a new one.
This is true, it is VERY difficult to get now unless the vehicle is blatantly old/collectible.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 AM
9 Second Club

How are these 7 and 8 second pump gas drag cars driving around in the streets?
Last vid I saw had an 8 second TA and a 7 sec viper, both turbo cars and you know they don't have cats.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
This is true, it is VERY difficult to get now unless the vehicle is blatantly old/collectible.
Yeah, if I didn't have the ws6 I would've never gotten it. To tell you the truth, getting the letter from GM (********) was MUCH more difficult than the rest of the proccess.
They guy who does the approvals from NJDMV is actually a pretty nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. Made everything very easy.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been searching the pa DMV site and can't find collector car registration. They have classic car (15+ years old) and antique (25+ years old).

As for the uniqueness, since they won't be making any more Firebirds, much less Trans Ams, that should be unique enough. If I remember, a few of the later years, say from 2000-2002, they actually made more WS6 Trans Ams than regular Trans Ams, so that should help as well.

Granted, I get an exemption sticker each year for emmisions because I drive less than 5000 miles (this year closer to 1000), but it would be cool to have a collector plate.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, if I didn't have the ws6 I would've never gotten it. To tell you the truth, getting the letter from GM (********) was MUCH more difficult than the rest of the proccess.
They guy who does the approvals from NJDMV is actually a pretty nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. Made everything very easy.
so enlighten us on how you got a letter from GM. the local NJ f-body club apparently isnt doing anything to help. who did you contact, what did you ask, what kind of hoops did you jump through??
Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

I did a search online for GM and found this customer relations something or other.
This was about a year ago, they didn't want to issue a letter, I fought with them on and off for months, yes months, what a bunch of a**holes. They finally sent me a letter stating the production #'s for my make and model and that qualified as the letter for dmv.
Funny thing is if you do a search you can find the production #'s online with no problem, so I just told them to send me a letter stating fact. They finally did but it wasn't without a fight and some occasional bouts of raised blood pressure on my part.
Just have your production # facts ready when you call (I didn't at first) and be VERY firm and insistant, don't take no for an answer. That's about the best advice I can give.

Quick Reply: Just got through NJ state inspection station with the Trans Am!!!!!!!!!!!