Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Zephyrhills/Carlisle Autofest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Zephyrhills/Carlisle Autofest?

The Fall Autofest is in a couple of weeks. I've never been to any car event at Zephyrhills. I'm not too interested in the auction. Is the swap meet/vendor area worth attending?

The event begins Thursday and runs through the weekend. I prefer to attend these things on weekdays to avoid the crowds. Are the vendors and swappers usually in full attendance on the first day?

Any tips or personal experiences with the Carlisle/Zephyrhills events are appreciated.

Thanks.

Tipsy
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad and I used to go this every year. it is a good event, but they have been raising admission prices, and turnouts have been getting smaller. honestly, I would wait and go to turkey rod run the following week. about 5x the show, and plenty of deals to be had.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badhombre
My dad and I used to go this every year. it is a good event, but they have been raising admission prices, and turnouts have been getting smaller. honestly, I would wait and go to turkey rod run the following week. about 5x the show, and plenty of deals to be had.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd never heard of the Turkey Rod Run.

Looks like a nice vent but unfortunately, I'll be traveling that weekend.

Tipsy
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

From Ohio here. Been to the Zephyrhills swap meet in March of 06, totally dissappointing, never go to it again. Been to Daytona Turkey Rod Run in 08,10,& 11,GREAT EVENT.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
From Ohio here. Been to the Zephyrhills swap meet in March of 06, totally dissappointing, never go to it again. Been to Daytona Turkey Rod Run in 08,10,& 11,GREAT EVENT.
I had a look at the vendor lists for both events. It looks like Zephyrhills is basically a clean-out-your-garage swap meet (and auction) whereas the Turkey Rod Run has many of the major aftermarket manufactures and distributors in attendance.

Too bad I can't make it.

Tipsy
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

And along with what's occurring at the Daytona track(vendors,huge swap meet,HUGE car corral,car show),there's the un-official stuff like cruising A1A and the gatherings at Bellaire Plaza. If you can't make it for 2013,reserve/plan that weekend for 2014. I always spend too much in the swap meet area,mostly tools and misc. auto stuff. Some of the swap meet vendors that I see down there I also see up here in Ohio at the Canfield swap meets.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, if you are a car guy, make it a point to do TRR one year. all around awesome event. HUGE swap meet, car show, cars for sale, cruising, burnouts. all in all a good time
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badhombre
yeah, if you are a car guy, make it a point to do TRR one year. all around awesome event. HUGE swap meet, car show, cars for sale, cruising, burnouts. all in all a good time
Sounds like a great event. Unfortunately, being a pilot makes it difficult to get specific days off. We "bid" for our schedules and everything is awarded based on seniority. The more senior you are, the better chances of having holidays off.

Tipsy
Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Zephyrhills is ok, have been several times, and last year before Carlisle took over it seemed like there weren't as many vendors, I was in/out after a few hours, and had to park in the north 40, pasture.

With Turkey Run its a different event, some 5000 show cars are registered, and the swap meet area is huge, everything is located on the infield of Daytona speedway, have been attended the last 5 yrs.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

I was able to move some stuff around and it looks like I'll be able to make it to the Turkey Rod Run on either Thanksgiving day or the day after.

Is the swap meet fully up to speed on Thanksgiving day?

Tipsy
Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

not in full swing yet, friday would probably be better. but good thing about the early days is snagging up the good deals before others get to them
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Decided to try to beat the rain and head to Zephyrhills today. It wasn't a bust but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about.

There was a smallish static display area with a mix of makes and models. Some were for sale, some just for show. Everything from plain-Jane cars from the 80's to rusted shells from the 20's. Other than a few late model Camaros and Corvettes, the only LSx I laid eyes on was in a swapped RX7.

The swap meet was your typical mix of "please buy my junk because I'm too cheap to throw it away" vendors, a bunch of vendors specializing in muscle cars and 50's hot-rods, miracle "it cleans as it shines" products, several "collectible" type vendors trying to sell old signs and bottles and a bunch of nearly identical vendors selling zip ties, cheap tools, cheaper electrical connectors, etc.

The auction was amusing. There were some very nice cars. There was a 1979 Trans Am with 40 (yes, 40) original miles. It had never been titled. There were several restorations and a handful of original, numbers matching muscle cars. What cracked me up was how full-of-himself the auctioneer was. He'd start at an astronomical bid (say, $70K) and work his way down to $10K before he'd a get an opening bid. Once the bid reached the low $20K's, he'd stop his fast paced auctioneer's babble and say "folks, this car is every bit of $50K." I've got news for you bud. Apparently, it's not. This is a free market. The car is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay.

It was worth the 45 minute drive and $10 to walk through the gates. But if I can make it to the Turkey Rod Run, I'm hoping there will more of an LSx presence.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 11-15-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

You'll see there will be lot of LSx presence at the TRR. The car show aspect, the car corral aspect, cruising raceway boulevard and A1A. I always drive my Z28 down from Ohio for TRR. Can't make it this year but during that weekend I'll be wishing I was down there.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went today, first time going. It wasn't to bad, Pretty small a few nice ls cars in the auction. I'm visiting my parents in zephyrhills and I plan on going to TRR before I head back to canada. Anything else going on in the area for car shows cruise nights?

Quick Reply: Zephyrhills/Carlisle Autofest?