I just got a ticket for
"Muffler altered louder than manufacturer specifications"

Totally bullshit
mine exhaust us altered, yes
louder than stock @ 40 mph ? NO ******* WAY

what do i do guys
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woa!!! i never heard of this b4 how much was it?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i know alright, totally bullcrap.

cop told me i can fix it "back to stock" and have them check it, $15 fix it ticket
or i can pay a $77.5 fine
Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

take that crap to court bro.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

what do you have done to your exhaust?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If its an 'aftermarket' system, most of them are "50 states legal", so I would fight it and get the manufacturer involved to stand by their 50 states legal claim.

Sara Lou
Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

i wasnt even driving my loudass LS1,
i was driving my little miata daily, intake / exhaust was the only thing that was done to it.
my exhaust was a catback made by magnaflow, so yes its 50 state legal.

MagnaFlow's Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Are MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust systems legal?

Answer: YES, all of our Cat-Back Exhaust Systems comply with most state and federal laws with the exception of the Magnapacks. (Please note, local laws may vary. Contact your local law enforcement for specific guidelines.) Our products are designed and tested to meet legal sound level limits; however, when used in conjunction with other products (such as air intake systems or exhaust headers), the overall combined effect might cause particular vehicles to exceed the allowable limits.

A new law (27150.2 VC) does not require police to use a sound meter to test for excessive noise. A citation is now based upon the officers judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at a smog referee station.

Also, check with www.sema.org for more info. SEMA is a trade organization of the automotive aftermarket, which has been active in protecting consumer rights.

Additional Info Exhaust Laws:

News

Sema.org

CHP Exhaust Laws
thats the info i got from the manufacturer's website, if i m getting them involved they are just going to say something about i have an intake and blah blah blah
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Take a copy of the sheet to court where it says 50 state legal. If that does work just keep going up the chain.

Let me guess, it was FHP?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
Take a copy of the sheet to court where it says 50 state legal. If that does work just keep going up the chain.

Let me guess, it was FHP?
um .... not sure, its a undercover cop car, he mentioned the car was brand new lol, even the ticket he handed out to me was a computerized print out, not a skinny yellow paper anymore

his uniform was white shirt / black pants, not the regular cargo color of FHP

i m thinking he was one of the higher up local guy
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Were you in Winter Springs? Because they are pulling kids over ( 8 yr. old in mind ), and handing them $60 tickets for not wearing a bicycle helmet. Dont get me wrong , Im all for safety but give me a ******* break!! I have yet to meet "1" Winter Spring cop who is worth a **** >:O

Last edited by porsche9874; 06-06-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by porsche9874
Were you in Winter Springs? Because they are pulling kids over ( 8 yr. old in mind ), and handing them $60 tickets for not wearing a bicycle helmet. Dont get me wrong , Im all for safety but give me a ******* break!! I have yet to meet "1" Winter Spring cop who is worth a diaper full of **** >:O
lol wtf no i was in melbourne / palmbay
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

wow sorry to hear not to jack you thread but ive been pulled over for my radio being to loud no subs just head unit while driving with straight pipes no cat or mufs, cops are fucked up
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

should have been drive your LS1, cops are after the ricers not the mussles, i'm running a single bullet, **** i cant even hear my phone ring in my car and they pull my friends with 4 bangers before me
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well here is the disclaimer that will cause you to lose anything you might bring to a court:
From your above quote from Magnaflow
(Please note, local laws may vary. Contact your local law enforcement for specific guidelines.)

Best thing to do is just pay the $77 and be on your way. Sucks *** I know but by the time you deal with their **** you'd have wished you had paid it rather than try to fight it. Besides its a non moving violation so no points.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phoenix
should have been drive your LS1, cops are after the ricers not the mussles, i'm running a single bullet, **** i cant even hear my phone ring in my car and they pull my friends with 4 bangers before me
but my LS1 was swapped into a rice mobile

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
Well here is the disclaimer that will cause you to lose anything you might bring to a court:
From your above quote from Magnaflow
(Please note, local laws may vary. Contact your local law enforcement for specific guidelines.)

Best thing to do is just pay the $77 and be on your way. Sucks *** I know but by the time you deal with their **** you'd have wished you had paid it rather than try to fight it. Besides its a non moving violation so no points.
what i m thinking right now is find the factory's db level and get / borrow / buy a dB meter somewhere locally, compare to the factory spec
if things are in my favor i'll just bring everything to court and shut them up
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a diference between being 50 sate emmissions legal and local noise ordinances....if it was loud and violated the local noise ordinance then the cop was in the right...not saying i agree but that is the law(state and local govt)rights......really and truley and modifications are actually illegal its just a matter of if thy want to enorce it of not its that gray area in law.....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck man... personally I would pay it and go on. You could possibly get hit with not only the ticket but court costs if the judge is a total *******. I have been thru it with the exhaust on my Caprice, its Xpiped with FM 40's dumped, cats and shorty headers. Got hit with it simply because the law says you can not alter the exhaust from factory specs. I should have just paid it and went on my way. I still have it on the car and have not been stopped in 4 years. Just had an ******* cop that was looking for a reason to stop me.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

From experiance, just pay the ticket and be done with it ....there's no points with that ticket, its just part of game of having a cool car...its a money maker for the state...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

damn, u guys are really supporting the FL legal system ....
i guess i'll have 30 days to think ....
Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not that we are supporting it its just these laws are gray remember we have federal, state and local govt in our society....yes these parts are 50 state legal for emissions....but there are local laws governing noise levels...just like we have the right to freedom but you cant blast your system down the road becuase again there are local laws localy they cant make a law banning them for emission bacuse they are 50 state legal but they can make laws regarding the noise levels.....it is a losing battle and the judge will take the side of the officer on this one unless the officer had done something really out there the judge will always take the officer side...the best you could do is find out what the DB level is for the local ordinance and then have yours tested and see if it is lower than that that will be your only leg to stand on in court but it is a long shot

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust Ticket