Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

This might be a bad Idea, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeperZzZ28
well now it sounds like a good kit but cheap and affordable went out the door. 5500-7500 is what the other kits are selling for already and they arent a truck manifold set up. I think you guys lost sight of your main goal, making a turbo kit affordable for the masses.
But you are talking about kits with out a k member and no a2w intercooler and you don't get to keep ac. This you get all that and some. Sounds like a deal to me.

And the kit for around $2150 was hot side only nothing else.

I can tell you as soon as I sell my jaguar I will have one of these kits.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

And yes we are still waiting for pictures.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5500-7500 is what the other kits are selling for already and they arent a truck manifold set up.
This isn't a truck manifold kit anymore either. These kits will be priced very well for the parts included.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

well then its just like any other kit. sure you get some cool stuff but that wasnt the original goal. And no it wasnt just hotside for 2150, re read the thread. who would pay 2g's for some truck manifolds and a couple pipes...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

The kit is not a truck manifold kit.

It has tubular headers.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

I understand that it isnt a truck manifold kit anymore. Maybe it never was. It just seems like you went away from what was supposed to be a cheap, simple kit that anyone could install in their garage. Now its reqs you to swap your k member and cost 2x what your original price goal was. Its not a cheap kit anymore, its the same as the rest. Im sure its great quality and worth the money, you probably move it out of the price range that you were originally targeting is what im getting at. I might still even be interested in one but now im going to have to wait longer and see results first.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of these setups, as I'm sure everyone else subscribed to this thread are too.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM

What I am interested in knowing, is when this kit eventually goes on sale, just what sort of testing it has endured. I am very interested in the kit, but I would feel a lot better buying one if I knew it had been tested on more than one car, and for more than a day or two. This is not to say I think you are rushing your kit to the market untested, I would just like to know that the reliability has been proven. Everybody knows about the horror stories that plague the APS kits, and the issues that some of the STS setups have had. I think we are all rooting for your kit to be a high quality, worry free setup!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:56 PM

And I am aware that the APS/STS problems stem from junk turbos and poor quality parts. All I am saying is that there could be long term issues that only extended testing could reveal. I'm not trying to say you use junk parts, so please nobody jump on me for that comparison.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Its funny you said that.......

I planned on going to the track with it and cutting sub 1.5 60fts, if that doesn't break it nothing will LOL.

Also the kit will be warranteed for life to the original owner against cracking not caused by corrosion.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need a test car i can help you out. I am local too.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand that it isnt a truck manifold kit anymore. Maybe it never was. It just seems like you went away from what was supposed to be a cheap, simple kit that anyone could install in their garage. Now its reqs you to swap your k member and cost 2x what your original price goal was. Its not a cheap kit anymore, its the same as the rest. Im sure its great quality and worth the money, you probably move it out of the price range that you were originally targeting is what im getting at. I might still even be interested in one but now im going to have to wait longer and see results first.
I completely agree. I think the main goal was lost. Not to say that the kit won't be worth the money, or that I won't ever buy one, which would now be years down the road at that cost, but the simple cheap kit, is gone. Not to say the goal was ever attainable, but it is gone.

I'm not saying I won't ever buy a kit, but this definitely pushes more towards the custom fabrication of one myself.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Heck I will be a test subject. I have had a stock car for a month now and it's killing me going from a 9 sec car to what 14's
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Those of you upset because it has lost it's original cheap price point, please note that the original post is now 1 year and 4 months old. He has stated that during development the ideals changed. It is a better kit now, and a better business venture. If you still want the less expensive route just do a manifold kit yourself. It has been done to death already there are posts here to help you on the subject.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Those of you upset because it has lost it's original cheap price point, please note that the original post is now 1 year and 4 months old. He has stated that during development the ideals changed. It is a better kit now, and a better business venture. If you still want the less expensive route just do a manifold kit yourself. It has been done to death already there are posts here to help you on the subject.
Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I completely agree. I think the main goal was lost. Not to say that the kit won't be worth the money, or that I won't ever buy one, which would now be years down the road at that cost, but the simple cheap kit, is gone. Not to say the goal was ever attainable, but it is gone.

I'm not saying I won't ever buy a kit, but this definitely pushes more towards the custom fabrication of one myself.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 910 Likes on 650 Posts

I don't know how I feel about it being water cooled and not air cooled. Am I going to have to put ice water in the thing everytime I want to go out and beat on it?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water cooled uses heat transfer just like your radiator. The lower the ambient temp the better, therefor, if you want it to perform better, yes you can use ice water, do you have to? No.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
The kit was hyped based on price/performance and quality, so we know the price isn't going to be met. We haven't seen any pictures and the performance is yet to be determined.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

We chose air to water because of the limited cross section of air flow through the front bumper.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well its the same old story. You want a quality kit you are going to pay quality prices.
Brand name turbos,genuine non knock off gates and blow offs, quality piping,welding,couplers,clamps,exhaust manifolds that won't crack up,intercoolers that will hold boost without leaking like sieves or having big losses thru them,good stainless oil lines,water lines,all this stuff costs money and labor.

And people that are good at tig welding and all these skills normally dont' work for free.
So realistically this kit could and should be high qualtiy,hopefully fits great, install is said to be pretty easy,it comes with custom kmember and its versatile that you can start with the single and add the second turbo. And supposedly its solved most of the problems our aps kits have.

I will have around 9k into my aps kit with the upgraded LG turbos and also had to buy bmr kmember above the price of the kit which was 5500 shipped I think it was or mabye it was 5999 shipped forget already it was one of the first kits from aps.

Now if their turbos had been reliable then it would have been a decent buy. All the other problems aside from iffy turbos on the aps kit are minor .Sway bar hits piping,worse on lowered cars easy fix with some spacers and playing with endlinks.Or don't run front sway lots of more drag oriented guys dont. Inlet tubes can be stented or they made upgrade inlets. Car can get hot in hot weather climates. That can take a bit more work to fix, I haven't really seen a problem much where I live. Thats about it for aps problems.

Now this kit says it will address some of those issues..the water to air intercooler..never been a big fan of them but they might work ok,several fast guys are running them like mightmouse, seen a lot of super cheap air to water ones on ebay but no idea how they work and assume quality air to water still cost decent money.
Obviously you want quailty non knock off turbos ,the one biggest issue with aps standard kits. And hopefully the exhaust manifolds will hold up and he is warrantying that which is nice. Aps after sales service is basically zero. And truth is not something Peter was known for. Getting a straight answer from him was almost impossible.

So again you want quailty parts,fit and hopefully after sales service..then you should expect to pay decent prices.
It was pretty much a dream I guess for this company to make and offer inexpensive even single kits. They exist on ebay and you hear various stories about them and how they fit,work, most times they consist of knock off gates,blow offfs and turbos.Shoddy welding,poor fit ,low quality clamps and silicone etc.And some guys are great fabricators can tig and all that good stuff and can whip up a nice homemade kit . Thats great for them. I fall into the build your own turbo challenged group. I was happy to buy my kit , at least aps shipped it and ahead of time ,after losing 2000 the year or so before to GMR speed when they went down suddenly.

So seriously its nice Modular is going to give you guys options on some nice single and twin kits as there are not very many currently for our cars. And most shops kits are custom and are very pricey..near 10k or more pricey after installation ,etc.

Sure you might want to wait a bit and see how these Modular kits are going to work out. They should work good. As really turbo kits are basically simple and reliable as long as quality parts are used in them.

Best of luck to Modular and their new kits. The most important thing is customer service and support after the sale. Aps of course has pretty much burned their bridges from their knock off fiasco. And not owning up to it or offered restitution. I am sure if they were in the US a class action lawsuit would already be underway .And they don't realize,word spreads and someone that owns an f body now might own a vette or foreign car down the road and not many people would trust Aps again.

Anyway sorry to ramble in this thread. Just seeing too many of you guys crying that the kit is not going to be cheap anymore but that might be a good thing! And to those that think its pricey maybe just save up. You buy quality once or crap many times. I thought the aps kit was a pretty darn good deal pricewise..but since it appears the turbos are knock offs and they are a key part of the kit ,well it wasn't the great deal it appeared to be.
I would have gladly payed another grand or even two to have top quality turbos in my kit.

So Modular lets see some pics already.Who knows maybe someone will steal my car and will buy one of yours next time around.

Quick Reply: This might be a bad Idea, but.......