Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1bar 2bar 3bar? whats it all mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1bar 2bar 3bar? whats it all mean?

ive searched and havent really cameup with anything that makes sense

anyone care to explain?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there talking about your map sensor and the range in witch it can read. bar is a standard of measurement. a 1 bar reads vacum up to 0 psi. a 2 bar reads to almost 15 psi (14.4 I think) and a 3 bar reads up to 29 psi I believe. if you were doing a speed density tune you would need a 2 or 3 bar map sensor depending on how much boost your running.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

well i read in engine builder magazine you could use a MAP sensor out of a saturn ion and it goes up to 2.5 bar has anyone ever heard about this or tried it? it says it can handle 22lbs+ of boost
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yep speed density is the way to go on big cams and boosted apps.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely, my 2 bar is out of a supercharged cobalt or something, its a gm sensor
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Yep speed density is the way to go on big cams and boosted apps.
If you can get it to work.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanWS6
I am far from a tuner but my tuner did it in a couple of hours. Thats because of the boost issues. But once we figured it out hell two pulls later numbers are in the sig. And the drivablity is awsome. Im not saying its just that easy but a dam good tuner can get it done. My Map is off a colbat ss. Nothing special hell I just pluged it in and attach the vac line (vic jr) and went on.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

its the rating of the amount of positive pressure the sensor can read, 1 bar is 14.5, so a 2 is 29, and 3 is 43.5 lbs/psi of pressure. you only need to be concerned if you are boosted, if not then you are going to only read vacuum anyway.

http://www.centauro-owners.com/articles/psibar.html
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I am far from a tuner but my tuner did it in a couple of hours. Thats because of the boost issues. But once we figured it out hell two pulls later numbers are in the sig. And the drivablity is awsome. Im not saying its just that easy but a dam good tuner can get it done. My Map is off a colbat ss. Nothing special hell I just pluged it in and attach the vac line (vic jr) and went on.
Yeah we are running into some weird issues. Hopefully we will figure it out this upcoming weekend. Switching to the F1A at the same time is probably part of the problem.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanWS6
My car rolls out ******* hard with a speed density tune. There were zero issues tuning it.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
its the rating of the amount of positive pressure the sensor can read, 1 bar is 14.5, so a 2 is 29, and 3 is 43.5 lbs/psi of pressure. you only need to be concerned if you are boosted, if not then you are going to only read vacuum anyway.
To clear up this misinformation:
Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar (~14.7 psi). Naturally aspirated engines need a 1 bar MAP sensor to measure the pressure between full vacuum and normal atmospheric pressure. Even naturally aspirated, you need a MAP sensor that can measure within this range, in order to run speed density.

Boost is pressure above and beyond regular atmospheric. Example: 10 psi boost, as measured by the MAP sensor, is (10/14.7)+1, or roughly 1.68 bar. (Notice that you add 1 at the end of the equation to account for the regular atmospheric pressure.) A 2 bar MAP sensor would work in such an application, because the 1.68 bar reading @ 10 psi positive boost is within its range. (2 bar MAP can read from total vacuum to 14.7 psi positive "boost" pressure.)

Likewise, a 3 bar map can read from total vacuum to ~29.4 psi positive boost. 1st bar is vacuum to atmospheric, 2nd bar is atmospheric to 14.7psi positive "boost", 3rd bar is 14.7 psi positive "boost" to 29.4psi positive "boost".

MAP sensors measure the pressure and convert it to an electrical signal in volts. The software in your engine management MUST be calibrated to the MAP sensor you are using, in order to properly interpret the signal from the MAP sensor. (Example: a 3 bar MAP sensor would not work properly with tables configured for a 1 bar MAP.)
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RAACCR
To clear up this misinformation:
Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar (~14.7 psi). Naturally aspirated engines need a 1 bar MAP sensor to measure the pressure between full vacuum and normal atmospheric pressure. Even naturally aspirated, you need a MAP sensor that can measure within this range, in order to run speed density.

Boost is pressure above and beyond regular atmospheric. Example: 10 psi boost, as measured by the MAP sensor, is (10/14.7)+1, or roughly 1.68 bar. (Notice that you add 1 at the end of the equation to account for the regular atmospheric pressure.) A 2 bar MAP sensor would work in such an application, because the 1.68 bar reading @ 10 psi positive boost is within its range. (2 bar MAP can read from total vacuum to 14.7 psi positive "boost" pressure.)

Likewise, a 3 bar map can read from total vacuum to ~29.4 psi positive boost. 1st bar is vacuum to atmospheric, 2nd bar is atmospheric to 14.7psi positive "boost", 3rd bar is 14.7 psi positive "boost" to 29.4psi positive "boost".

MAP sensors measure the pressure and convert it to an electrical signal in volts. The software in your engine management MUST be calibrated to the MAP sensor you are using, in order to properly interpret the signal from the MAP sensor. (Example: a 3 bar MAP sensor would not work properly with tables configured for a 1 bar MAP.)
thank you very much

Quick Reply: 1bar 2bar 3bar? whats it all mean?