Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LAST CRY FOR HELP WITH MY D-1SC PROCHARGER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LAST CRY FOR HELP WITH MY D-1SC PROCHARGER!!!!

Ok, got the car back today, had Z9's do a lot of work to get those pulleys lined up, EVERYTHING is straight and spaced out correctly...I'm using the camarogod steel idler now, there was plenty of tension on the belt, I drove the car to get it dynoed got on it a few times and it felt good, I get a call back from them and they said that the car lasted 3 pulls on the dyno and the belt was toast...

The bracket isn't flexing
The pulleys are lined up now
Got a heavyduty steel tensioner pulley now....

I'm using NAPA belts, could it just be shitty NAPA belts?

They said my car saw 8psi.....and that was with the 3.3" blower pulley, I dunno how much smaller I can go with the 7.85" crank on there with out running into major slipping issue....

I'm officially out of ideas...

Old 10-21-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: LAST CRY FOR HELP WITH MY D-1SC PROCHARGER!!!!

If I had any idea, I would chime in. I'm baffled by your situation as well. I've not had those problems, and I see 8# using the stuff that came shipped with my ATI kit. Weird....

Mike M
Old 10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I snapped the napa belts right away too. I went back to using gatorbacks and they have been working a lot better(especially with new bearings in the tensioner pulley). I am running the 3.2 pulley on my D1 now. I was running the 3.4 and the gators were doing great, but we will see how they do with the 3.2.
J
Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Andy @ A&A Corvettes for ATI experience and R&D solutions.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 PM
7 Second Club

Sell it.Move on to a less infuriating endeavor.I did everything you have done a year and a half ago and threw in the towel long before you did.The ATI is designed for a stock engine,anything more than that and well you already know.I give you credit for trying for so long,you have more patience than me.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

What size gator back belt would I need with my 7.85" crank pulley and the 3.3" blower pulley....this combo didn't even get me near to what I wanted to see boost wise...

I heard that carquest belts might be better too....

Anyone have and helpful part #'s?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, does anyone have any 8 rib pulleys that they could sell that are smaller than 3" diameter...
Old 10-21-2003, 08:43 PM
8 Second Club

i used carquest 40 inch long belts. i had the gatorbacks on but it frayed from the side, but that was with some pulley missalignment.

give those belts a try, they're a bit more expensive ($27 if i remeber correctly).
now did the last belt walk off or did it actually break?

i just thought of smething, you're running an iron block, right? what did you do a bout the alternator bracket bolt that has no place to go ( the hole that the ls1 has on the water jacket are but the 6.0 doesn't)? i shoved some shims in there for good measure.
i'm only theorizing here, but can the fact that the bolt not being used cause the whole bracket to shift, or maybe the harmonics and /or vibration from that is throwing the belts off.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think we made new standoff's for the setup, cause we had to space the blower back some to get everything straight..

Where can I order these carquest belts?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

from the carquest chain of stores. it's their own brand ( i'm sure it's made by some other company and labled for them).
Old 10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOS, I had trouble with the napa belts also. Im running the MMS crank pulley and the ATI 4" blower pulley and the damn napa belt broke in 5 days. Two of the days i didnt drive the car. I am using the Goodyear gatorback belt now and i dont see any problems.....Yet (knock on wood). Ill b sure i take another one with me when i go to the track though. Take the old belt with you when ever you get a new belt and they can take the old part # off the belt and cross reference and find you the right size you are looking for wether its a gatorback or a carquest belt. I believe Gates makes carquests belts, but i could be wrong. I am wanting to go were you are w/ a Iron 370 and now im thinking a cog set up looks better and better.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:38 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Try to wrap the belt aroud the pulley more. Also before you install a new belt wipe off the oil film on the belt with acetone. And I'm sure your warming the belt up before any big boost is being put to it. Good luck, Andy
Old 10-21-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

The only other possiblity I could think of that hasn't been mentioned (trying the other brand belt is a cheap test) is that the motor has too much play in the crank (fore to aft thrust). You could have to have a pretty decent amount for this to be an issue though (you could grab the crank pulley and pull it forward and/or back a bit).

The only other thing to check is for belt contact - is it possible that the belt is hitting something in the car? I know on a Z06 setup with a AA or MMS pulley bracket (don't remember who it was from) the idler pulley was actually coming in contact with the frame rail under load - acting like a brake.

That's about all I can think of though.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget the power of Prayer.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:55 PM
8 Second Club

the carquest belts are made by gates, who by the way make cog blower belts for those big egg beater blowers.

as for the crank play theory, well if you have enough play in the crank to throw the belt off, you'd be having serious oil pressure issues i believe.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I don't think I have that problem, the bracket was flexing before and the blower pulley was hitting the alternator pulley, but now we spaced everything out correctly and its all good, I just hope the different belts work...

Do you guys think I would have slipping issues if I went to do a blower pulley in the 2" diameter...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:20 AM
8 Second Club

you'll be lucky if the blower actually turns with a 2" pulley!

i was fooling around with some numbers and found out that if you have a 9" crank pulley you can run a 4.1" pulley and get 58500 rpms out of the blower at 6500 engine rpms, i guess the added surface area for belt contact should help alot.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats what I was figuring...

If I was even going to upgrade to a bigger headunit in the future I would need to change the pulleys around, I would most likely keep my 7.85" crank pulley and go to a 4" + blower pulley, thats because of the different ratio of the blower though....

I just hope to hell that a different belt will work cause this is really starting to drive me mad, its gotten to the point to were $ is just getting pissed away to solve an ever lasting problem...
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Banned

NAPA and Carquest are GATES GREENSTRIPE belts... very soft and work well for short times... you need a DAYCO BELT... this is the ONLY belt that will not tear up or burn up.. ill get a hold of larry and tell him to get you one..

What size gator back belt would I need with my 7.85" crank pulley and the 3.3" blower pulley....this combo didn't even get me near to what I wanted to see boost wise...

I heard that carquest belts might be better too....

Anyone have and helpful part #'s?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:27 AM

Check your inboard idler pully and make sure the belt is riding towards the center of the pully. If it is riding towards the front (blower side)of the pully...the belt is probably riding up on the inboard boss and cutting the belt like a pizza cutter. I thought ATI had resolved all these issues with belt shredding. I had and ATI Procharger over 1.5 years ago. Andy from A&A Corvettes and I are friends and he is the one who caught this error. The bracket that mounts the inboard idler pully and then to the blower needed to be milled appoximately .060 to get the belt to ride in the center of the idler pully. That boss would cut my belt so clean sometimes it would look like it was not even cut..but if you tried to count 6 ribs it would only be 5 ribs and then the 1 rib strip that was laying in the engine compartment could be accounted for. Good luck. Andy from A&A has done the most corrections to the Prochargers for the Y Bodies..I hope you get it fixed, I know how frustrating it can be.

By the way I was running 13lbs of boost with a D1 Procharger...stock Crank Y body (a little bigger) and a 3.85" pully with Heads, Cam, and Headers..made 610/545 rwhp/rwtq....no belt slipping on the street...but on the strip it was a whole different story...however since that time (over 1 year ago) Andy has completely redesigned the ATI bracket system for the Y body...8 rib richard pullies and idler/tensioner relocation along with a hard plumbed single I/C.

Quick Reply: LAST CRY FOR HELP WITH MY D-1SC PROCHARGER!!!!