Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Guys with FI cars!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with FI cars!

Guys with FI cars does your car run hot in this heat?Everytime I seem to turn my A/C on damn temp gauge goes up quick.But when I turn it off it drops again.What does anyone suggest to solve this problem.Also my car is an Incon Twin Turbo car!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

What do you have that is blocking the fans? Or you could add fans to the front of the radiator.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Well i have my stock fans but it seems like they aint enough in this hot weather!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:06 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure that they both are turning on high with the ac. Also check to make sure that your radiator isn't being blocked by junk built up in front of it.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

well they both come on but the only thing in front of it is my FMIC!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by o2ws8
well they both come on but the only thing in front of it is my FMIC!
Are they on high or low speed? Is this(overheating) while running down the road or sitting at idle?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Guys with FI cars does your car run hot in this heat?Everytime I seem to turn my A/C on damn temp gauge goes up quick.But when I turn it off it drops again.What does anyone suggest to solve this problem.Also my car is an Incon Twin Turbo car!
Review this thread - post #20 in particular.

Take a good look at the placement of the AC condensor and the radiator. You will see the fresh air path for the air to cool the radiator goes through the AC condensor first. This fact explains why your radiator isn't efficient and can't transfer enough of the engine heat when the AC is on because all fresh air goes through the AC condensor first and is heated. The heated air then passes through the radiator. As a result the coolant in the radiator get hotter and hotter and hotter.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-question.html

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 06-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use your air in super hot weather. If you really look like you are going to overheat turn on the heater full blast that is old trick that can save you.
Add redline water wetter, have funs turn on low like 170 or have manual fan switch to bring them on all the time in really hot weather. Buy a bigger rad, higher flow water pump.
My car with similar setup is doing pretty good in 80s to 90s we are having lately. I don't always run my air though and have redline water wetter and fans are coming on at pretty low temps, 160 stat also. So far no problems at all city or highway.And in pretty heavy traffic. If it hits 100 or so and have problems will look at upgrading rad and water pump. Keeping it out of boost usually helps too.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

This is with me driving in the city without getting into boost!Just normal drving I think the weather might have something to do with it its 100+ around here!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my Procharged car I had the problem of not being able to run the A/C on 100+ degree days, the exact time when I needed it the most. I knew about the common problem with the ATI kits like mine that use just one electric fan, and I also knew about the idea of adding a small second fan and had seen EPP and others do it to customer cars. However, I was lazy and all I had to do was not run A/C (coolant temps would only climb excessively with A/C on, running with it off my coolant temp was fine even on 100 degree days).

Anyway, taking the lazy way out I added Red Line Water Wetter. It seemed to have no effect. I then added Hyper Lube brand stuff from off the shelf at Pep Boys . Yeah, Pep Boys , but I was experimenting. Well, that Hyper Lube **** works. I can now run the A/C on that car whenever I feel like it. I tested it out deliberately on some of the hottest days last summer and my coolant temps were perfectly normal. In fact, having the A/C on or off made no difference... coolant temps were right about 200-210 regardless now. Easy fix. I almost never get that lucky.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

TWS might give that Hyper Lube a shot see what it does!Do i have to have a certain amount of water and coolant before adding that stuff?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

TWS might give that Hyper Lube a shot see what it does!Do i have to have a certain amount of water and coolant before adding that stuff?
The best ratio is 100 percent distilled water and the additive (water wetter or hyperlube).

I just read some tests comparing water wetter and hyperlube and there is less than 5 degrees difference between the two with hyperlube getting the lowest temp (202 to 206) when mixed with 100 percent distilled water.

The next best ratio is 75 percent distilled water and 25 percent anti-freeze + the additive (water wetter or hyperlube).

Just pouring in a bottle or two of either to a 50/50 mix will only reduce temps 6-8 degrees.

I am going to try HyperLube but this time will mix 100 percent water rather than 75 percent water and 25 percent anti-freeze . Unless you drain the block it is very hard to get all of the anti-freeze coolant mix out by just draining the radiator.

If you run 100 percent water you will have to add anti-freeze in the winter for climates that get below 32 degrees unless you store the car in a heated garage.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 06-27-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember anything beyond the fact that I opened the valve at the bottom of the radiator and drained out approx the volume of the Hyper Lube bottle that I was about to add (about 12 oz. IIRC), added the Hyper Lube and called it good. This was last summer. I am sure I read the Hyper Lube bottle first. Since it was such a small volume, I didn't even have to bleed the system.

I had put in the Red Line the summer previous to that one, so I had tested it out fairly well and for whatever reason it failed to alleviate the problem of coolant temp climbing during A/C use.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I changed the thermostat at the same time as I added hyper lube so Im not sure of the coolant ratio either. I would estimate 70% distilled water and 30% coolant. I added the extra fan as well and I dont have any AC problems. Alot of the cooling problems that seem to pop up on here are cars with an FMIC--I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not because its in front of the radiator.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I had the Procharger, Mine also would overheat at a stoplight with the AC on, Then I found a electric fan out of a wrecking yard from a Toyota or Honda, wedged it in front of the radiator, wired it to the stock fans and could literally sit all day in traffic with the ac on.....
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
When I had the Procharger, Mine also would overheat at a stoplight with the AC on, Then I found a electric fan out of a wrecking yard from a Toyota or Honda, wedged it in front of the radiator, wired it to the stock fans and could literally sit all day in traffic with the ac on.....
Did you put the pusher fan in front of the AC condensor pushing air through the AC condensor or between the AC condensor and the radiator?

Was you car a pre-1998 or 1998-02?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Did you put the pusher fan in front of the AC condensor pushing air through the AC condensor or between the AC condensor and the radiator?

Was you car a pre-1998 or 1998-02?
his is an ltx car
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
his is an ltx car
He is correct, But I did put it in front as a Pusher, and Like I said, It worked so I figured possibly would be the same for an LS motor..
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Incons place the intercoolers down low infront of the drivers lights(Fog light)I use to own one !LOL So your airflow to your rad is unrestricted compared to my new APS. Ide say steep up to a afterrmarket rad and make sure your tunner has your fans turning on before your temp reaches 160,,, Im guessing now that your running a 160 deg thermistat. My APS did this with the AC (even with a Be Cool) before my tunner fixed it
Hope this helps some
PS,I forgot ,,,Make sure your high fans are comeing on when you turn on the AC too. Could be a high low fan relay thats bad!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen no overheating with my aps so far to about 90 degrees . I have been thru pretty heavy traffic.I have my fans coming in fairly low but not right at 160. Have redline water wetter.160 stat. Running 50/50 antfreeze /water.

Quick Reply: Guys with FI cars!